1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pan fried bologna - Depression era food

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

I didn't know I was poor until I read this thread...:lol:

I have been raised on a steady diet of fried bologna sandwiches, bologna gravy over white bread, sweet rice, and a couple other dishes mentioned in this thread and I love them all. One of my absolute favorites is potatoes, eggs, and spam. Which is basically potatoes and spam fried in a pan together then eggs scrambled over it to make a kind of omelette/ casserole sort of deal. If you are having a good week you might even put some cheese on top or my favorite condiment...frank's red hot!

2. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

I'm making this this weekend. That sounds great to me. My wife won't touch it, but I will get a good meal out of that.

Sent from my Galaxy 500 using TDPRI

3. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

Spam and Jelly - reminds me of one of my childhood favorites, bacon and jelly sandwiches. Cook bacon until crisp, Welch's grape jelly (if you are feeling wealthy) or store brand grape jelly, and toast. Salty and sweet work so well together.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Aww... hot dog water soup and stale bread rolls again for breakfast?....:neutral:

any takers?...:lol:.....

guess what I had for a snack last night?...:oops::lol:

Attached Files:

5. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Pinto beans with fatback and cornbread!

Can't beat fried baloney when you're hungry for cow and pig lips.

6. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Tomatoes and bread cooked together.
    Cornbread and milk in a glass.
    Saltine crackers in a glass of milk.
    Of course the fried bologna.
    Potato soup with onions and bacon.
    Fried cornmeal, probably another name for it.

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i love horseradish, but that sounds absolutely awful!

i grew up way after the Depression, but spent a lot of time living with my grandparents. my grandmother often made Depression-style food, as well as stuff my grandfather ate during his 30 years in the Air Force (neither of which would remotely qualify as "nutritious".) i still love eating a lot of it, even if it's pretty terrible for me. one of my favorites is creamed chipped beef, and i still use her recipe (which is being a bit generous, i suppose, considering the ingredients are basically just chipped beef, milk, flour and butter. it's pretty much just thin deli cuts in paste:lol:) it'll block you up for days and it's got about twice the daily recommended amount of sodium in one serving, but it's SO GOOD!

she also used to do the fried bologna thing, although i can't eat it anymore because it's too salty for my tastes.

i try to eat relatively healthy, but at least a couple times a month i'll break out one of her awesomely unhealthy recipes. it's comfort food and reminds me of her.

8. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

My Polish grandmother (died in 1978 at age 85), from the anthracite regions of Pennsylvania, used to feed us her grandchildren a dish my mother told us was the only 'meat' they could afford on my grandfather's coal miner wages called Kiszka, traditional blood sausage. It is a mixture of pig's blood, pig offal (commonly liver, lungs, skin, and fat), and buckwheat (sometimes barley or rice) and stuffed in a pig intestine.

Kiszka may be eaten cold, but traditionally it is either grilled or fried with some onions and then served with potato and sauerkraut. GOD AWFUL NASTY STUFF....makes me thankful for what we have now.

Attached Files:

9. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

No offense meant Rob5755, but I think I just flushed that thing down the toilet :p.

10. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

^^^Nice.

11. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

If you want a shock, try reading recipes in old cookbooks from the '30s and '40's. I cannot believe what people used to eat in those days when nobody seemingly knew anything about cholesterol, heart disease, hypertension, etc.

I bought a recipe book at a garage sale once. It belonged to a woman who had passed away, and her whole life's worth of written-down family recipes were in there. Being a cook, I thought I'd found a treasure-trove of geat stuff. Most of it sounded inedible to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.