Pampered, or just enjoying life?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by toomuchfun, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Consumerism dumbing down and gone amuck. Wear a white shirt and a wide brim straw hat if you are going to sit in the sun. A lesson learned centuries and centuries ago. Just sayin’

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I have one that saved my life more than once when tent camping with the church kids during late July-August. Any airflow at night is good airflow.

nojazzhere and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I live in North Central Texas, where heat stroke is a competitive sport. ‘Round here we also use fans to fight back against the Mosquito Air Force.

It’s not “pampered,” it’s smart…especially if that is an area that doesn’t have the normal abnormal heat we have here.

I CAN sit/work/play all day in the heat, if need be…but I choose to do it less and less.

4. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

Brookdale Bill's northern latitude is within one-tenth of a degree of my northern latitude. Sub-tropical. So I agree with him and his fellow Texan, Fiesta Red. And stormsedge from Tennessee.

Y'all, it gets hot down south!

Matt G, nojazzhere and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

Seems like none of my business.

8trackmind likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you want to make fun of me (good-naturedly, of course) for having a ceiling fan on my front porch? I have it, not for cooling, but to blow away mosquitos. And I have a floor fan that I use when doing projects on my back patio. The patio is well shaded and cool, but the bugs still come around to bite. In recent years, we've had several outbreaks of West Nile and other diseases. Not fun! ;)

richiek65 and Telecaster1954 like this.
  7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Being too hot sucks.

It sucks worse than being too cold.

How long do they plan to be there? I'm sure the 2 trips were worth it.

Are you mad because you think they're taking up twice their allotment of space?

8. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I take a generator, and swamp cooler we keep filled with ice, when I go to Havasu, not really for myself.. I was born in Phoenix, and do fine in the heat.
    The women folk we go with? Not so much.

Would have been a better thread, than a couple of battery fans lol.

9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Live and let live

Someone might have....

ucnick and Scooter91 like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There was an interesting Fresh Air episode recently with a researcher who noted that the range of temperatures we are (on average) adapted to flourish in has grown much, much wider than the range of temperatures we are willing to occupy. Even with freon replaced, it's a huge problem. People just seem to expect to be between 68-72 degrees everywhere all year round. Including things like batteries (it all adds up).

As you note, wide hat. Umbrella. Layers.

If someone has a true health condition, ok.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

24 track and nojazzhere like this.
  12. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

OK, I have to respond here. This was in south central Pennsylvania, where it can get hot and humid but nothing like many experience. But this wasn't an extreme day in either. And I said late afternoon but it was almost 7 pm. The show was over around 9:15 pm so I'm talking a little over 2-1/2 hours total. Bugs weren't an issue either, the park must have sprayed because 3 weeks before they were a problem.

When I posted I tried to look at it from both sides, that's what Gemini's do. I just thought is was a little excessive, but from the comments I see it's the norm.

I'm not in the best shape and still need to lose some lbs. but I still mow my lawn with a walk behind mower (not self propelled). I can afford a rider or pay someone but it's exercise for me. I have an 88 year old female neighbor who does the same, her's is self propelled. Yeah there are days I don't feel like it but I feel a lot better when it's done. A well deserved shower is the best kind to me.

I can fully understand having fans at home but when I see hard working musicians sweating on stage for me, I would be ashamed to sit back with a fan blowing on me. Of course I'm dancing in my seat with the music so I'd probably knock it over.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I work out in the heat, three feet of snow. Doesn't matter to me. No fans, usually just clients who think they know more than me. I always tell them to grab the wheelbarrow and they shut up quick.

toomuchfun likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No argument here, and mowing my own lawn is a primary source of exercise for me as well. I didn't take your OP as a vicious attack on those folks, but just a humorous observation.
    I will say, however, that when I have an outdoor gig, or even one indoors where it might be hot, we have fans blowing on us. There's just no sense in being miserable. Besides, the sight of long, blowing locks of hair can be a dramatic effect for us rock gods. (that's a joke....I'm no "rock god", and I have a buzz cut) ;)

Matt G, 24 track and toomuchfun like this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I can tell you that the tables with a fabric top are next to useless. The top acts like a speaker cone and flexes to transmit and amplify the slightest shock to your cup or mug. Better not fill 'em up anywhere near the rim or they toss their contents.

Bob

24 track likes this.
  16. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm good with the fan. I'm actually more interested in the gentleman's hat. That's some boisterous haberdashery

17. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Hmm... I might look into that. I have some AC-powered Vornado and Honeywell fans I use for outdoor gigs when it is hot (like in the California Central Valley in summer, which can become very very warm), but they can inject noise onto the power line. Battery powered one that runs on Milwaukee or DeWalt battery packs would be cool (pun intended), I have some of their power tools and multiple battery packs.

18. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

My apologies to you nojazzhere, I used your post to make a reply to many posts.

And I agree musicians need fans or other cooling while performing in hot venues. I myself can work up a sweat in a cold environment hitting a wrong note or three.

I think Thornetta may have had fans, but she belted out 15 killer songs and entertained between songs with no dead spaces. They did a version of "I got my mojo working" and near the end they all stopped and she said "Now let's do it like Muddy" and they did it again in his style. Some songs had intricate transitions from slow to fast and the band just hit everyone while my jaw dropped. Always inspiring to see master musicians at their best.

richiek65 and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

Reminds me of the chairbrellas that I bought about 6 years ago. My wife and I were in Oklahoma attending Rocklahoma, a 3 day hard rock outdoor festival that takes places in the middle of Oklahoma over Memorial Day Weekend. Needless to say, it can be miserably hot. We had stopped at a sporting goods store for water bottles or mud boots or something when I spotted a display of something called a "chairbrella". It's just a standard umbrella but it has a built in clamp to attach to a canvas folding chair. My wife and our daughter told me I was wasting my 8 bucks on it and constantly made fun of my purchase. When we got to the festival I deployed my chairbreall and it worked wonders against the summer sun. The next day the naysayers asked me to buy two more of them!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

dunno, i'd agree in the southwest, i find dry heat pretty comfortable/manageable (and i live in a semi-arid climate right now). but northeast can be real brutal, PA and that area gets pretty oppressive with the humidity. even worse w/ the southeast. can't escape it just with shade.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.