1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paisley Esquire neck gunk

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sea tea, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No idea, unless it has something to do with Fender putting TUNG OIL on AFTER the lacquer (see earlier in this thread) to somehow achieve/advance the "roadworn" aesthetic?

I did a bunch of digging (research) today, and I've cleaned the neck with naphtha and then applied Pledge (gasp! But it's FINE... the "no pledge" thing is an Internet myth... just ask John Suhr, and yes I can provide the references if anyone is interested).

If that doesn't work, I will advance to cleaning with naphtha, 0000 steel wool, clean again with naphtha, then apply wax... yes, car wax... I have both Meguire's and Turtle Wax here....

Last ditch: sand it down to wood and apply a few coats of Tru-Oil, which would be a permanent fix.

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

OK. just a quick update for those who come looking when they get one of these guitars:

I cleaned my neck and fretboard with naphtha and a rag. All kinds of black stuff came off... I am convinced Fender is indeed putting tung oil on top of the lacquer, the oil attracts dirt, and adds to the "relicing process".... once I cleaned, I then applied lemon Pledge (please don't start- John Suhr has been using it for years, as have I, it's fine. Use whatever polish is your favorite lol)... and the neck and fretboard are now fine. No more "dirty build-up" on the fretboard, and the neck isn't as sticky ("sticky" as in friction- not as in actually sticky)

I do love this neck. Modern C has been my favorite for 25 years, but I'm really digging this chunkier, yet perfectly-shouldered-for-my-hands, neck.

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

From your description I suggest we're better off not knowing!

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Back in the early 70's I was a lab tech. We used it for cleaning most everything, probably unaware or blind to the possible consequences. it was one up from acetone. I even ran my Honda 50 on a 80/20 petrol / toluene mix. If I upped the Toluene ratio it went like stink but blew flames out of the exhaust and, I'm sure, was wrecking the engine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.