Pairing with a Dimarzio Chopper T

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by grygrskls, Oct 15, 2019.

1. grygrskls

grygrskls TDPRI Member

I am putting a Chopper T in the bridge for a humbucker sound. Are there any neck pickups that have a single coil tone that would be relative close to the output of the Chopper T? Prefer noiseless with the chrome cover on.

2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I had an AreaT in the neck with ChopperT. Nice combo, they blended well

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The Twang King does pair well with it, but is not noiseless. I’ve heard really great things about the Dimarzio Area T neck, but not tried it myself. I have a Chopper T in an Esquire and GFS Lil Puncher in the bridge of another Tele (10k version). The two are almost identical in tone and output, with the Chopper T being maybe a tad brighter (but that could be differences in the guitars I’m hearing). In that second Tele, I have a GFS noiseless True Coil Strat pickup in the neck position and it pairs very nicely.

tlsmack likes this.
  5. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Dimarzio Cruiser Strat pickup paired with my Chopper T. I love it. It’s not pure tele but it’s got great chime and nice “O tone” — round and mellow with overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluego1 and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Love the Cruisers. I’ve got the pair in my Mustang.
    [​IMG]

7. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

And they're freakin' red! Extra style points...

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Made em splittable too. Lotta tones. Lotta tones.

9. mkdaws32

That is seriously sharp looking.

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I'd choose a neck pickup for the sound rather than the contrast with the Chopper, and then deal with the volume difference by adjusting the height. Why get a neck pickup that people say pairs well with the Chopper if, by chance, you don't like that pickup? As far as DiMarzio goes, the Twang King is a pretty good neck pickup, with a nickel silver cover, A5 poles and a middle of the road inductance.

11. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

DiMarzio Red Cruisers, qparts Acrylic Red Pearl on Ringo Knobs (dark black plating), and a red Sharpie for the tip;). All new guts, too. El Diablo is his name:).

mkdaws32 likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

@Antigua Tele - Good point. I seem to have gotten off topic :(. The OP stated that they wanted a tele neck pickup that "pairs" well with a Chopper T, preferably noiseless and with a chrome cover. I am not a fan of most Fender noiseless offerings, but the Area T would fit the bill. It just depends on what tone @grygrskls is looking for. Some prefer a warm, mellow tele neck sound and some prefer more twang and bite in the neck. Output is also a consideration. I like a quieter neck pickup, since I always play with some amount of crunch and I want the neck position to naturally clean up when I switch to it. However, clean players will want a more balanced output between bridge and neck. It's true you can fix minor imbalances with height adjustments, but I have encountered cases where the neck pickup was as low as possible and the bridge almost touching the strings, and still the neck over powered the bridge. Where the Chopper T is a moderate output HB (more than a vintage PAF and less than, say, a Super Distortion), I would think an average vintage output neck pickup would work in most circumstances.

So @grygrskls, what type of Tele neck tone are you looking for? With an answer to that question you will probably get some really great suggestions from the members here.

13. grygrskls

grygrskls TDPRI Member

My post stated I'm looking for a single coil tone, if more specificity helps just your standard tele type neck pickup sound. I'm mostly a single channel amp guy, use the neck pickup for a cleaner tone and bridge for a dirtier tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.