1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pairing New Fender CuNiFe WRHB & Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DavidP, Jan 17, 2021.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I bit the bullet and ordered a new Fender neck CuNiFe WRHB for my 72 Custom Tele. The custom currently has a Brandon Wound WRHB so looking forward to the comparison. There's a SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge that I really like and intend to keep; it works quite nicely with the BW WRHB.

However, I'm wondering about potential polarity issues with the incoming Fender WRHB. To hopefully avoid having to disassemble after installation, a question for anyone who's put the new WRHB into a Custom...

Any feedback on pairing the Fender CuNiFe WRHB and a SD bridge single coil? I'm assuming the WRHB has only 2-conductor leads, so would have to run a separate plate ground and reverse the leads on the Jerry Donahue as the easiest option if there's a phase issue.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Or you could simply reverse the Donahue. Let us know how it works and how it sounds when it's done !

3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yeah, reverse the Donauhue, but on the Custom that involves near-total disassembly to get at the controls to do it.
    I was hoping that other's experiences may let me get it right the first time!

uriah1 likes this.
  4. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I put a phase switch with the bridge pickup. So got both options and didn't have to think too hard which way to wire it ;)

But it already had 3 wires (separate ground), so was easy to do.

5. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I don’t have any feedback on that, but looking quite forward to a good review of that new WRHB!

6. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

hopin to bump this thread - I'm also looking to pair an original 1970s WRHB (neck position) with a compatible bridge pickup.
    More so regarding blend / impedance

also - has anyone set one up with 500K ohm pots?
    thoughts?

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The odds are if it's a Fender bridge you will have to reverse the leads. Simplest way is to clip the earth lead to the baseplate (carefully) and solder a separate earth lead to it. Then flip the two leads at your switch and pot back.

8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Contact Duncan and ask them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.