Pairing A Humbucker & S. Coil On A Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Vortexan, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

The best mating I ever found for a Butterscotch Tele I had was the Dimarzio Bluesbucker with the coils toward the bridge a la Micawber, with a Dimarzio Pre B-1, 500k volume and 250k treble as someone had noted above. Very playable without the mud typical of a lot of humbuckers.

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

maybe its the A5 I have an A5 10K Broadcaster that sounded much better with 500K. and p90s also sound good with 500K, but again mine are overwound, 10K A5 lollars.

3. HopDog

HopDog Tele-Meister

Lollar Regal neck with Lollar Special T bridge...250K pots. Sounds great and fairly well-balanced.

4. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

500K pots...470K resistor to the bridge +/- to taste...done.

5. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I got around this conundrum by using EMG's. They require 25k pots no matter what.
    So I paired an 85 in the neck with their RT alnico tele bridge pickup.
    It works like a charm.

6. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

Let's clear up a few things first. The Rdc of the pickup only tells you how much of a certain gauge wire was used. A pickup could measure lower Rdc, but have more winds if it has thicker wire. Some CC models use 38awg and measure ~3K, but may be higher inductance than pickups measuring twice the Rdc, due to materials in the core. Some low inductance pickups can sound OK with 500k pots, just as some higher inductance HB's sound OK with 250k pots. It depends on the voicing and the sound you are after. With 500k pots, turning the tone knob down to ~7 will produce the same resistance load as 250k pots. The tone cap doesn't affect the sound until the tone knob is below ~5. The total capacitance load (including that provided by the guitar cable) will tune the resonance of the guitar circuit, which becomes a 2nd order (12dB/octave) LP-filter.

By nature of design, HB's are generally louder than SC's. The only way you are likely to get a good match is to get a set of pickups designed to work well together. Wilde can match one of their NF SC and L600 mini HB models that will work with either 250k or 500k pots, depending on your needs. Either way, try to get a set from the same manufacturer which are specifically designed to work together.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Well, hot diggity, I'm learnin' stuff today!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.