Pair of burlcasters

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dazzaman, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Gorgeous! I would love to get my hands on it! 12s? You're a monster!

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I am certainly not a monster. I just don't string bend...

Deeve likes this.
  3. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I have managed to make a rather rough and ready video of the first burlcaster to give people a flavour of it.

Apologies for the camera autofocus making it a bit difficult in places - I now know the solution to that, but I am guessing that trying to make another recording will open myself up to showing a performance that is even less good that this one. Sorry it is also a bit on the long side. Didn't seem quite that long as I was actually doing it..

Skub, solfege, Jim_in_PA and 6 others like this.
  4. tnt423

tnt423 Tele-Meister

Very nice all around! Thanks for letting us hear her.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Sounds and looks great and thanks for sharing!

6. solfege

solfege TDPRI Member

Sounds and looks wonderful.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds great, you made a very fine guitar, and nice playing, too.

8. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

Fantastic.

9. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I am still waiting for the Bigsby for the second burlcaster, and have been waiting for the lacquer to dry on my Harrison Brotherhood Build. I have some veneer left, so I though what over-the-top guitars need is an over-the-top amplifier. Originally I was thinking of making them small enough to fit into a guitar case, but I want a half-decent size speaker, so came up with plan B, a Burlwoodie amp.

I am sure everyone has seen pictures of the very early Woodie amps that Fender made in 1946. Most seem to be maple with red cloth, though there are some that are walnut with a gold-coloured cloth...

1.jpg

So, naturally that is going to be the inspiration for the amps. The smallest of the Woodies had an 8" speaker, and the one I shall use will be 4" so everything is going to be built at half size.

I got a couple of amp kits from thejamjaramps.com . They do two models, the orfiginal which is a high gain 1/2 watt amp, and the Blueberry, which is 1 1/4 watt cleaner amp. Fantastic and helpful guy runs it, who answered a few later questions I had really promptly. No affiliation, just a happy customer. He has a video on the website of him soldering up an amp in just over 10 minutes. It took me a bit longer, but that is because he has done thousands, and I needed to work out what was what. But, after less than an hour I had two amps wired up.

2.JPG

Then I grabbed some walnut and machined it for the sides. (ignore the glued pieces at the front for the time being)...

3.JPG

Then joined up three of the sides. The originals are crudely held together with screws going through angled metal. I couldn't bring myself to do that, so I butt-jointed the pieces, and then drilled for dowels to go through.

6.JPG

Then made some dowels out of the same walnut and hammered them in with glue...

9.JPG

Once done and the dowels were cleaned up on top I repeated the process with the last side to complete the box.

10.JPG

11.JPG

Once they are dried and cut then planed flush the exterior is ready for veneer.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  10. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

A bit more on making the amps.

The original woodies had the control panel at the rear. It is a little hard reducing the height by half and getting everything to fit, but it can just be done. The jamjar amps do not have a volume on them, that is controlled just by the volume on the guitar, so the only holes needed are for the input (from the guitar) and the output (in case you want to run the amp to an external speaker). They say you can run a 4x12 cabinet with it - I don't have one of those, but for fun I might run a 12" Celestion speaker I have occasionally.

In any case, I made a control panel for the rear. The two big holes as mentioned, and a smaller hole so I can see that it is working with an LED.

4.JPG

The pieces I am gluing on at the sides will attach to the inside of the cabinet to keep it in place.

I also made a little tray. They are battery operated, so the tray is designed for the battery to be able to sit on it.

5.JPG

The woodies have a handle at the top, as can be seen in the image of the original. I started with a block of walnut and drilled four holes that will become two handles, and then cut the black to length.

7.JPG

8.JPG

I then veneered both sides (sorry, no photos of that) and then cut out the shapes, and then finally glued the top piece of veneer on to end up with the two handles.

13.JPG

Deeve likes this.
  11. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

On with these. Next job with the sides is to veneer them with the burl walnut. They are clamped between sheets of glass to ensure they are flat and there will be no bubbles.

12.JPG

And once they have dried and the edges have been planed flush I use a router table to create the binding ledges.

14.JPG

And then bind them. Slightly easier than on a guitar with curves...

15.JPG

Then grain fill using CA. First apply the coats. In this case I used 4 coats in the hope I could get it covered completely without needing to redo any of it.

16.JPG

And once dried it was sanded.

17.JPG

That all worked out fine, so I could start with the spraying - firstly using sanding sealer.

18.JPG

sorry, the picture isn't great because of the light balance with the sunlight coming in from the open doors. But it worked fine, and was then left to harden.

tnt423 likes this.
  12. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! Gorgeous guitars and work!!!

Eric

13. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

Absolutely stunning work, dazzaman!

14. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Further with the amplifiers...

Once the sanding sealer had dried it was rubbed down.

19.JPG

And then they were given their coats of lacquer.

21.JPG

And now they are just put aside while the lacquer hardens for a few weeks.

But in the meantime I have managed to get some cloth which looks, to my eyes anyway, like an acceptable match for the original.

20.JPG

I forgot to take any pictures of making the baffle (I used MDF for it) but once it was the right size and with an appropriate hole in the centre I put some bolts in which will hold the speaker in place.

22.JPG

They are held there with epoxy, so they won't move... And then I drilled a series of holes to take the pins that will hold the cloth.

23.JPG

And then attached the cloth to it.

24.JPG

And also a view from the front.

25.JPG

eallen, tnt423 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  15. SteelPrinceton47

SteelPrinceton47 TDPRI Member

Very nice dazzaman! Looking forward to the next updated pictures. Are you thinking of putting the original style circuit in there?

16. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Many thanks!

Do you mean in the amps? In which case no, because they are only half size and there is no room for any valve at all. But, I am very seriously considering making a full sized one and putting the original type circuit into that.

17. SteelPrinceton47

SteelPrinceton47 TDPRI Member

This is very impressive! Do you plan on using these as two 4" cabs?

dazzaman likes this.
  18. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Yes, exactly. Hopefully I shall crack on with them by the end of next week. The lacquer should be fine by then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.