Pair of burlcasters

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dazzaman, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Such a beautiful set of builds!

Have you tried Z-Poxy for grain filling? It "pops" things, too.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

No, not tried it. I know it was mentioned when I did the challenge build. I think (from memory) that it was a issue of finding it quickly enough to use then that stopped me. I should think about trying it on a build that isn't against the clock.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I picked mine up via Amazon. Several folks here speak highly of it and I used it on the sapele for my current build that's been languishing on the bench, but not for much longer. PA has shut down all non-essential businesses, so that curtails most of my client work for the moment, leaving time to play in the shop on "me" projects.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Today's exciting (or not) episode.
    Since the necks were finished it is time to start putting a bit of finish here and there. First thing is to rub down the bodies to get rid of all of the CA glue that was used as a filler. Here is a shot taken during the process. Sort of looks a bit horrible at the moment...

F18.jpg

And then I need to mark the position for the neck to fit, and for the position of the bridges.

F19.jpg

And then time to start with the spraying, and applying sanding sealer. I can't really do any action shots of it, but one can see the end result after the first coats.

F20.jpg

F22.jpg

F23.jpg

And then a top coat or two on the head and the neck plate (also veneered, to match the back as if it was one piece). And after they were dry it is possible to apply the decals.

F26.jpg

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

So listen you got two of those babies and I don't got none and that don't hardly seem fair I'm a nice guy. Go on give me one

6. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

The "spare" one is spoken for. By a guy who may get a little unhappy if he doesn't get. And he is bigger than me, so...

7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Those guitars are astonishingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Dismalhead and crazydave911 like this.
  8. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

At this stage of the buid it was waiting for the sanding sealer to dry enough to be rubbed down, and then start bto apply the clear lacquer coats...

F27.jpg

F28.jpg

F29.jpg

About half way through the lacquer coats I stopped on the fingerboard so it could harden, though continuing to apply lacquer to the rest of it. Once the lacquer on the fingerboard had hardened enough I rubbed it down, and then fretted the necks.

F30.jpg

All done in the usual way. Eventually all done...

F31.jpg

Then I set up to angle the ends of the frets so they didn't overhang or anything.

F32.jpg

And once that was done they were ready for the fret work to be done on them.

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  9. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Time for getting the frets to their finished state.

first of all. mask out the fingerboard for protection, and then approach them with the sanding beam.

F34.jpg

Then go through crowning them, and checking everything with the fret rocker.

F35.jpg

Then go through all of the grits with fret erasers. I use the ones from Crimson Guitars in the UK. Not saying they are any better than the Stewmac ones, they were just easier to get from the UK in a hurry when I needed them.

F36.jpg

F37.jpg

And after the time it takes they are done.

F38.jpg

So the fingerboards are then given a few more coats of lacquer to build them to the same level as the rest of the instrument, and then left to harden.

F39.jpg

F42.jpg

10. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Getting these done time...
    Once the lacquer was more than hard enough (thanks to me being away for a few weeks) it was time to rub it down. I started with 1000 wet-and-dry.

G1.jpg

G3.jpg

And at some stage I remembered that I had to apply the shielding paint to the back of the pickguard where the control hole is.

G4.jpg

G5.jpg

I worked my way through the grits. After 1200 I moved to micromesh for everything except the fingerboard (for which I used wet-and-dry wrapped around a small block)..

G6.jpg

G7.jpg

And after quite a long day of rubbing down it was all done...

G8.jpg

11. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dazzaman!!
    Too good, settle down ;) lol

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

wolf1.gif F27.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Quick update here, since I am waiting for some lacquer to harden on the Brotherhood Build one.

Polished up one of the burlcasters. I am waiting for a couple of parts for the other one, so
    there is no reason to keep doing them in parallel anymore.

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

That was after the first round of it, then went to two finer compounds. I am using the stuff from Rothko and Frost to keep the same polishing materials throughout the process.

At the end of it I get...

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

And the obligatory "show all of it with light reflecting from behind" shot...

H5.jpg

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wow!
    Absolutely gorgeous!

crazydave911 and dazzaman like this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the head-stock veneer is a very classy touch

Peace - Deeve

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Time to set it all up...

Do the tuners first - start with an easy win... The wiring is to have a four-way switch, but because I am old fashioned it is going to be bridge, bridge and neck, neck, and then neck with then bassy sound (that Fender stopped using in 1967). And a treble bleed on a push-pull on the volume knob.

H6.jpg

then on to the electrics...

H7.jpg

H8.jpg

H9.jpg

Attach the string ferrules in tyhe back.

H10.jpg

And then the neck, and finally we have an assembled guitar...

H11.jpg

Needs a nut made, of course, but that requires the strings on, and I wasn't about to put those on fairly late at night, since I knew I wouldn't stop until everything was done, and setting up the nut properly is not really a job to rush.

17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, Dazz, you do excellent work, well done.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Dayum! Those necks, those bodies, those freaking guitars! AWESOME Dude!

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Beyooootiful!

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all for the nice comments.

We now have one of the pair finished (as said, waiting on parts for the other one). It wasn't all plain sailing to the finish - more than a few niggly issues with the electrics. The big one was that I ended up having to remove the volume pot and just use a normal pot in its place. I won't say why, but the reason can be seen by the eagle-eyed in the 4th photo in post 56, along with another silly mistake that I made and needed to fix... I may or may not end up replacing the pot with a new push pull - it was only acting to include a treble bleed, and I personally don't find the need for one on my other instruments, I just basically thought "why not, if I don't like it I don't have to pull the switch" in this case.

But, with the new volume pot I was eventually off and running. Made a bone nut, and then got the action as I like it. I use 12-50 flatwound strings with a wound third, so there is a fair tension on the neck, but it is pretty stable, though I will need tweak it when the weather changes in a few months.

Anyway, a few pictures of the finished instrument!

H13.jpg

H14.jpg

H15.jpg

They are darker than they should be. IN the next day or two I will try and get some better quality portrait pictures of it, as well as make a video or two so people can hear what it is like, and give a recap of everything spec-wise.

CraigB, eallen, Dark_Horse and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.