1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Painting top of headstock

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Rocky creek, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Rocky creek

Rocky creek TDPRI Member

I have taped off the side of my headstock and just want to paint the top. I know that I will possibly have some uneven edges when I pull the tape off. What is the best option to remove paint off the sides of the headstock. Do you just scrape with a razor blade or does that run the risk of messing your finish up on top? The sides and the back are just going to be natural wood finish.

2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

What tape are you using? I've had good luck using electrical type tape for such things.

3. Rocky creek

Rocky creek TDPRI Member

Its auto body tape

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you get a good seal on the tape line...don't rush it...you should be able to maintain a decent edge. It's best to have already sealed the wood overall first, too, rather than trying to get a clean line on bare wood that can absorb colored finish. You can, in fact, scrape anything that comes over the side to clean that edge before moving on to your clear coats. Again, don't rush and only scrape lightly...just enough to remove the wayward specs.

fleezinator likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I mask with auto body pin striping tape and then scrape the edge with a box cutter blade after pulling the tape. Hold the blade at a 45 degree angle right on the point of the edge and you can make a very clean line. When you pull the tape make sure to pull down and away from the edge so as to not lift any of the paint on the top.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Ted Keane and fleezinator like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.