1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Painting my house this spring...even that can't be done without debate anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cmm71, Feb 27, 2021.

1. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

Are you ready for two controversial statements: 1. I'm using a brush (and roller). 2. I'd like to use oil-based paint.

I grew up on a farm and occasionally had to do some painting. I used a brush. I worked my way through college painting. I used a brush. Before I left Ohio to move west I painted much of my parent's house...with a brush. I've got quite a bit of experience with interior and exterior painting. All that experience is with a brush. So when I mention that I'm painting the exterior of my current home, a fairly modest size single story house, with a brush I get gasps of pity and desperation from coworkers and friends. Apparently I have to use a sprayer, I just have to...its insanity to paint with a brush. It only takes a day or two of taping and covering windows, doors, soffit, bushes, trees, squirrels, family pets, etc. Then I'd have to rent a sprayer and learn how to use it. No. I'm using a brush.

I went into my local paint store, a big brand name paint store, and I said I'm looking for oil-based exterior house paint. The place went silent. A child started crying. Apparently no one paints with oil-based paint anymore. I've not done any exterior painting in the last two decades but did I miss a meeting? When did we start using water-based paint on exterior surfaces that see 90 to 100 degree temps in the summer with direct sunlight and -0 temps in the winter with snow and ice? 'Them there conditions would be calling for oil-based products'...at least that's what I was taught. Now I realize I was born way back in 1971 and the world has changed a bit, but I'm not the kind of guy that intends to be painting this house again for over a decade. I want a product that will cover and will last. Thoughts?

This has been a bit of a rant. I realize I'm turning 50 this year and I'm coping with lots of change. I guess I thought I knew how to paint, but I guess I'm wrong about that, too.

telestratosonic, MickM and boneyguy like this.
  2. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Latex exterior paints have come a long ways! The water (or oil, in the old days) is really just a carrier for the pigment and binding agents. Once the water (or organic solvents) have evaporated, the paint itself (the pigment and binding agents) doesn’t really care what got it there.

The last exterior I painted, I used latex (water-based) paint, and a Wagner power roller which was battery-powered and held almost a gallon of paint. Worked great, but apparently they quit making those units.

A brush alone wouldn’t be my first choice but with a very good brush it wouldn’t be quite as bad as folks imagine. A brush and standard roller would be ok.

3. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

How dare you even think of using tried and true methods of yesterday. This is a brave new world, get on board or feel the wrath. Or do what you know works and to hell what others think.

Telekarster and 1955 like this.
  4. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

whats on the house now?

can you paint latex over oil and can you paint oil over latex?

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

You look into having it rhino lined?

RodeoTex, Doorlord and Harry Styron like this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I support your brush decision, painted a lot of homes since the '70's that way and still prefer the method....BUT I despised scraping off the old paint by hand.

For that task, the Wagner Paint Eater is your best friend.

8. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Paint technology has come a long, long way since the 70's. Acrylic house paint is actually more resistant to fading, yellowing, cracking, and chalking than alkyd (oil-base) paint. Environmental regulations limit the amount of organic solvent (known as VOC) that can be used in paint - effectively driving "oil-base" paints out of the market.

Clean-up with water-borne (latex/acrylic) paints is done with water and soap. With solvent-borne paints, it's done with solvent - more hydrocarbon emissions released into the environment.

Water-borne paints can be applied over fully cured solvent-borne paints and vice-versa.

I wrote architectural specifications for 40 years, including some major-league sports stadiums, so I learned a lot about paint along the way. Trust me - water-borne acrylics are the way to go.

Application is up to you, no reason not to use brushes, but most pros will use spray unless the surfaces are mostly flat, and then they often use rollers. For them, time is money and it's faster.

PM me if you'd like my recommendations for top quality acrylic house paints.

Telekarster likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Had a good laugh about you adding masking off the squirrels.
    Some extended in-law family did a house spray job ... and then had to pay to have the neighbor's cars cut and polished to get over spray off them.

I painted part of my house after some roof and siding repairs with a big four inch brush two summers ago.
    Blended right in with the original house paint and the simulated wood grain of the engineered siding.

10. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

paint your home with Rustoleum that should do it :lol:

11. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

The relic'd look is soon to become a thing for houses.
    Don't paint it: in a few years you'll be ahead of the crowd. Then people will fake relic, but it won't look genuine like yours.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  12. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I'm older than you and I've done a lot of painting. Last time I used alkyd paint was in the early 90's, because it was at a beach house and it seemed like it would resist moisture better.

Latex has improved tremendously over the years. I've been using latex on the inside of my house with excellent results (Behr Marquee and Benjamin Moore Regal). I will say that for really glossy finishes, oil is the way to go though...

I'm going to paint my detached garage with a sprayer -- picked up a used Graco on CL for cheap, and I'll pass it along when I'm done with it. I tried to do the eaves and soffits with a brush, but it was way too difficult to twist myself into a pretzel to use the brush. Sprayer should make quick work of it.

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

if you have a helper monkey, spray a patch, then back roll or brush it in. thats the quick good way. just brush/roller gets good contact but takes longer

oil paint had lead in it until the late 70s. my personal opinion is that once the lead went away it kinda lost some of its better qualities. at the same time other types got better. thats just the way it is

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You could re-side with vinyl clad.;)

15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Did you then ask for some exterior lead based paint? Seriously, modern acrylic latex is light years better than the old oil based paints.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  16. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

A sprayer is a powerful but blunt instrument... like a sledge hammer: Under control it can do great work: out of control.. great damage can be done. Be conscious of where your overspray is going.
    Short of that, Using a fat roller to apply paint to an area and then brushing it out is probably the best way to go. I use a 2 gallon pail with a hook and screen and a 7 inch roller. The roller loads on the material and a 4 inch sash brush puts it in order. Very fast... much superior to dip and brush, dip and brush ,etc etc.
    For best results over any previous finish, a coat of Bullseye 123 latex primer is excellent. Tint it close to your finish color. Benjamin Moore makes top grade and long lasting exterior latex paints... I recommend a flat or low sheen finish. Don't go cheap on materials... it takes more labor and doesn't look as good.
    Vinyl siding will end painting forever so that's an option too.

17. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

It's nice to see these replies, thanks for the thoughts. The rolling then brushing is kind of the route I'd be taking. It just frustrates me when I feel like a relic of the past. I built a new deck last summer and a couple coworkers recommended I invest in fancy tools and equipment. I used my circular saw, a jig saw and a drill. All I ended up buying was a couple saw horses...that's it. Deck turned out great.

Telekarster likes this.
  18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

A sprayer can apply paint - you always need to brush it in. It's faster that way. That said, I painted an entire house with a brush and cans. No big.

Use latex. You won't even be able to buy oil based paint. Stains still come in oil base but latex is the way to go. They are way better than oil in every respect.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Got out of the painting biz twenty years ago, did industrial stuff, (not houses) my big airless was rated at 4 gallons a minute @ 4,000 psi. Needless to say I sprayed thousands of gallons of paint.
    That said, on a house I prefer a brush, just looks better. You also don't have the over spray on cars issue.
    Trust me, that sucks!
    The quality of most rental airless sprayers sucks too.

Oil based house paint? That was old school when I started painting! Painted the first house I owned in 1985, with latex.
    Used to be oil alkyd (oil based) primer was the thing to use on bare wood, but latex or acrylic latex has been the standard house top coat for as long as I can remember.

Also what type of siding do you have?
    Very very important.
    Aluminum is totally different than wood for instance.

Also remember.
    NEVER TRUST A PAINT SALESPERSON !
    Do your own research. That guy will be selling furniture or used cars, when the wrong product he recommended is peeling.

20. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I here you man.... There's certainly generation gaps these days, but you're right on about painting by hand IMO. I've tried sprayers, but prefer the brush and roller method becuase I think you get a tougher finish with them. As for water based, I've had good luck with the modern ext paints. I think they've come a long way with paints since the old days we remember. Heck, I totally forgot about the old oil paints! I sure remember their smell though ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.