1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Painting a speaker baffle - Why?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Telekarster, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hey all, so.... building this D style speaker cab and I can't seem to find the answer as to "why" we paint the baffles black i.e. would we want to do this regardless of the color of grill cloth used? Is it done so the speaker blends into the background? If so I can understand that using black or silver cloth but I'm thinking of going non-traditional in terms of color, maybe going with a lighter color and perhaps even white, and just want to know if I would still want to paint the baffle black or not. Thanks for your input in advance!

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Ime, it is mostly done to keep a uniform look to the grill cloth. Dark speaker and dark background.

Plenty of speakers have tried to stand out. You can make yours look however you like.:D

Telekarster likes this.
  3. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I did a gold grill cloth and left the pine baffle natural on an amp cab build I did. It looks really good IMO. I'm guessing it's mostly so the speaker blends in. Most amps use cheap material MDF etc for baffles nobody thinks MDF looks pretty.

Telekarster likes this.
  4. Telekarster

Right on. I happened to luck out and got a heck of a pretty piece of birch ply and it would be sort of a shame to paint it but then again, I suppose it's not going to really be seen anyway so... I suppose I'll have to experiment and see. My main concern is whether or not the black paint would somehow alter the way the cloth might look. Thanks for the replies all!

VonBonfire likes this.
  5. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I think it will depend on the type and color of grill cloth you are using. I thought the blonde-esque color of the pine baffle would match a gold grill cloth and it turned out nice. I don't think a silver cloth would've matched as nice. Not sure what you are planning on using for cloth but there are some vintage radio restoration stores online that sell some beautiful and unique grill cloths if you are still looking. If you are stretching the cloth yourself you can always mock it up before you shoot the staples in. Good luck with your project.

6. Telekarster

Ha! I really don't know myself what I'm going to use yet LOL!!! Good tips though, and good idea about the radio resto resource! I'll have to check that out!

VonBonfire likes this.
  7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've painted all of my baffles black just so it blends with the speaker. It is all aesthetics.

Telekarster likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

No idea why? I just shoot them black without any thought.

If you do paint what I do is put some chap stick on the speaker gasket. To prevent the things from glueing themselves on. Even though the paint is "dry" there's still chemicals that can combine with the gasket and form a glue of sorts. If you've spent hours trying to get the original speaker out of 50 year old Champ or whatever, you know what I mean.
    Then again in 50 years chap stick might turn to glue for all I know?
    I'll be 106 then and likely won't care. :)

Telekarster and VonBonfire like this.
  9. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Aesthetics is the main reason in quality cabinets and the paint is used to seal MDF and fibre board in cheaper builds. Stops flaking and improves the ringing qualities of dead 'wood'.

Telekarster likes this.
  10. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

:Do_O Yeah, and once upon a time when cheapo imported amps had a cabinet big enough for four tens and they put one 8” right in the middle, the black paint helped hide the obvious...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.