1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paint over Minwax tung oil finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Eeeeeagle, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Eeeeeagle

Eeeeeagle TDPRI Member

I have a parts Strat that I put together last year and used Minwax tung oil finish on the neck. From what I have gathered, this finish is not necessarily a “true” tung oil finish and so I had a question. When assembling, I did not add a decal or anything to the headstock. I thought I would get used to it but it just looks bare to me. With that being said, my wife is an excellent artist and I would love for her to hand paint something in the area where a decal would normally be. Is there any paint that will go over this finish without issue?

I am sure my best bet would be to test a few different paint types on some scrap wood but I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this.

2. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Sorry, no experience with anything besides Nitrocellulose lacquer which worked just fine when I wanted a gloss headstock face and satin back of neck.

3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I've done paint over tung oil. It wasn't anything fancy...Rustoleum 2x Painters Touch out of a rattle can. No issues. You should be fine provided that the tung-oiled surface is smooth and not tacky.

Eeeeeagle likes this.
  4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Artists' oils would probably be best.

Eeeeeagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.