Paint imperfections - Advice please!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Stevicus, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus TDPRI Member

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, joined up to ask for your help.

I've painted my guitar body with acrylic spray paints, matte finish which overall I'm pleased with but I have a few problems I need to deal with before I clear coat.

I'll just start with one problem so as not to make this post too long.

I was stupid, and before the paint had properly dried, laid the body down on some newspaper. A small ridge and some imperfections in the paper has caused some indentation in the paint that I need to deal with (let's ignore the slight orange peel for now):

DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0768.JPG

DSC_0769.JPG

So the advice I'm asking for is how to deal with these marks? Can I get away with lightly sanding just those areas and giving the back another good coat? Do I need to sand the whole back down flat?

Shall I just pretend it never happened?

If you guys are happy to help I'll show you what I did to the front too...

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

In my experience, messing with small imperfections tends to make them worse and more noticeable. I would just leave them alone and enjoy.

Nice color btw.

61fury likes this.
  3. Colaiza1965

Colaiza1965 Tele-Meister

My biggest mistake on my 5 DIY, is never saying when.

61fury likes this.
  4. Stevicus

Stevicus TDPRI Member

Thank you for kindly responding to a newbie on the forums.

Your responses are interesting. I fully expected the opposite reaction - and especially not a compliment on the colour!

Here's the front! I painted the whole thing white then, using masking tape, did the green coats and then the red star (some might recognise this as a rip-off of a James Trussart design). The colours are duller and more military looking in reality.

I've got some pitting in the white where I didn't sand it well enough and some faint horizontal lines where the tape put dents in it. There is also a bit of a raised ridge on the green. I could probably tidy the green up with an exacto knife - leave the white as is?

DSC_0766.JPG

The worst problem: I got a bit of red on the front, and then tried to spray over just that bit. You can see from the photo I totally ruined it. Do you think I should mask off the white circle and give the front another coat?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your knowledge and assistance! And as you can see, it is indeed a Telecaster.

DSC_0771 copy.jpg

5. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

I am terrible at finish work, but I'm learning to tell what I can live with and what I can't, the more I do the more I learn to live with.

Thanks to a poster on here, after I described stripping a guitar 3 times, he said, if you're just doing this for yourself don't sweat it.

If you absolutely can't stand the horrible line, mask off the star and recoat the whole thing. I've made mistakes the size of my pinkie that grew to the size of my palm ( my first refin attempt)
    Personally, from here, I would recoat. The red smudge wouldn't bother me but that line would. I wouldn't bother with the back though

And masking, something I learned from another poster on here. If you recoat, after you mask the star, spray white, this will seal the white on the circle and make it almost impossible for any green to bleed through.

Just finished my latest attempt, after a YEAR of stripping and starting over ( no kidding). The finish does have flaws but I love it.

I love that theme too, the olive drab/circle star thing. Black hardware might look good with that.

And a new rule of mine ,, Aim for perfection, settle for close enough.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Oh, one more blabber, it is a military looking thing, it could stand to look worse for the wear. And I do think it looks great. Maybe forget about the recoat.;)
    what do I know?

7. Stevicus

Stevicus TDPRI Member

Thanks for weighing in, 61fury.

I've decided I'll leave the back as it is.

I hear what you are saying about the military design and a bit of rough not looking out of place, and I had even considered creating more patchy bits and making it a bit of a theme. But I love the colour in its clean form so I am going to have to give the front another coat. I'm out of white though, so I will have to forgo the sealing spray you described over the masking. Hopefully it won't bleed if I push it down well.

So, once that's done, I'll be clear coating with Plastikote satin clear sealer. I've got two cans which should do four coats. Will that be enough? And, I'm assuming that as it is satin, I get away with not sanding at this stage too? o_O

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The shadow on the green looks like the film is quite thick.

Is it?

Nice concept...and I also like the green.

9. Stevicus

Stevicus TDPRI Member

About the thickness of your thumb nail.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.