Paint Chip Flaking Off

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by wesley7777, Sep 19, 2021.

1. wesley7777

wesley7777 TDPRI Member

Hello,

Took my guitar in to get the neck adjusted and noticed after I got it back that a large paint chip flaked off. I am not blaming the tech as I am not sure when it came off and there was some cracking before I took it to him. I was kind of surprised the finish would do this as it is nitro finish that has been on the guitar 15 years. I thought it would wear nicely over the years and it really has not other than this large chip. While I really do not love the look I am more concerned that it will continue and all the finish on the guitar will slowly come off. Anyways at preventing the rest of the pain flaking off? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt it will get much worse or continue. You could try wicking some thin CA under the finish to try and stabilize it. Then a good piece of electrical tape to cover the chip. :D

I suspect the finish at the neck joint may have been a tad proud of the pocket, and if the neck got cranked down hard, it may have chipped it off. This is one of the things I check when I have a neck off. I usually try to round that sharp edge off to avoid chipping.

3. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Are you sure it's nitro? Looks rather thick to me...

Anyhow, you are witnessing natural relicing ;)

Seriously though, it looks like the tension from the neck being pressed down to the body by the neck screws, might have helped in the paint flaking off.. there are some smaller chips visible too, and a long crack near the buck flake. As if you had some paint build up, that wasn't fully level with the neck pocket maybe?

4. wesley7777

wesley7777 TDPRI Member

I have had the same thought as well, is it really Nitro. It does not seem to be doing what I thought. I believe you are correct, some paint got under the neck pocket and when the neck was tightened the paint chipped, not the techs fault. The paint is thicker than what is on my American Tele which I know is poly.

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

Test it in an inconspicuous spot with lacquer thinner or acetone. It will soften nitro quickly. Won't touch poly.

6. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

That looks more like the wood released. Reattach with Titebond regular, sand and and shoot it with a touch of nitro

Lone_Poor_Boy likes this.
  7. wesley7777

wesley7777 TDPRI Member

Well sadly I cannot find the chip anywhere...

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Rather than electrical tape, I wonder if you could find something made out of black plastic and form it to fit the divot. You could conceivably cut a piece of black finish from under the pickguard with an X-acto knife. Fill the cracks, then polish the entire area to a uniform gloss. It will still be noticeable, but less so.

9. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

It’s behind the neck. Very few will see it. Fill it with black sharpie. And play the sucker. It’s a battle scar. Some people pay good money for a factory worker to do stuff like that.

Greg70 likes this.
  10. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You do realize some people would pay hundreds for that effect, right?

Midgetje94 likes this.
  11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Perhaps a little black nail polish would work.

Peegoo likes this.
  12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

In the second pic I can see another crack. I would drip a little thin CA under the finish to hopefully keep it from flaking further.

Then I would probably buy black CA and slowly build it up until it is level, then sand it down and polish it out, all with the neck removed.

I could make that disappear.

LPTyler, Boreas and Lone_Poor_Boy like this.
  13. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I know nothing about guitars and paint, but that does look like it was coming up, as some of what is left behind at the edges looks to be off the wood.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

@Crobbins is spot on. Get a little bottle of black nail lacquer, and apply it in several sessions with dry time between. The idea is to slowly build up the repair.

the best way to do this is to use magnification and a toothpick. Apply a tiny drop to the divot and carefully push the liquid lacquer to the edges of the existing finish. Do not overlap the existing finish. Take your time. Allow it to completely dry, and repeat until the filled area is level with the surrounding finish.

obviously you need to do this with the neck off.

peteycaster, Boreas and Crobbins like this.
  15. wesley7777

wesley7777 TDPRI Member

Couple of things:

1) Yes I know people pay good money for this look, I just happen to be one as I just bought a Custom Shop Tele last night.

2) I think I will go with the nail polish trick and see if that work. You really cannot see it that much I just did not want it to spread too much.

It does look like the issue was the paint got into the neck pocket. Thanks for the help now I need the wife to help me look for nail polish.

Crobbins likes this.
  16. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Plus one on the stabilise with super glue and nail polish. Maybe masking tape on the neck rather than remove it if you've just handed over your hard earned to to have it adjusted?

Disclaimer:- Peegoo knows a lot more about this than I do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.