1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paddle Headstock Has Slant

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NilsZippo, Apr 15, 2021.

1. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

A0D543FA-0FA8-4C7B-A970-6033CE16932F.jpeg I'm being a little anal retentive in my book, which can be an issue from time to time - lol. But I would greatly appreciate any input or opinions, on this geetar matter, not my being anal - lol.

As one can see, the problem besides buying a cheap neck, and I do know better, especially with necks, but felt the need to take a dip into Bargain Lake one last time. Anyway, as can clearly be seen the headstock slanted from the plane of the neck a couple of degrees. Can't really tell if this was a cutting mistake OR it's warped at that slant.

NOTE: The fingerboard portion of the neck is perfectly straight.

What I know:
    Break angle from back of nut will be a bit sharper to the tuners.

What I Don't Know:
    Maybe over time with string tension it straightens out? Or doesn’t? Or worse case scenario, though I can not see how, could this ultimately mess with the straightness of neck over time?

Boreas and TeleUpNorth like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Next time buy the allparts paddlehead neck. Actually this shouldn't impact much of anything. The strings will go downward and you probably won't really even notice it.

NilsZippo and crazydave911 like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Meh, won't matter. Seems strange a machine made neck would be... It appears to be though, are you sure it is? maybe the nut is throwing the look off?

4. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Holic

could it be a post production twist
    because the wood wasn't properly aged?

5. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

Yeah, it’s machine made. Closer look and the nut isn’t seated perfectly BUT the headstock is definitely slanted.

I believe you may be dead on correct as to how and when it happened. To make a long story short, I now recall the seller, informing me, because of pandemic and the backed up mess at the Port of L.A., they had a shipping container full of parts stuck in limbo and inaccessible for about 2 and 1/2 months.

Also because back during the holidays, I had to get them to replace a shortscale neck I ordered that was twisted. It had come directly from China and the protective foam was stuck in a couple of spots on the headstock, a result of the finish not even completely dried. The replacement was perfect, which is why I decided to jump into Bargain Lake one more time, now for the last time - lol.

Thanks to everyone for easing my occasional OCD. As a Medical Anthropologist and Epidemiologist, I must say that I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

DjimiWrey and crazydave911 like this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

A tilt-back headstock is a good thing. Much preferable to a non-tiltback. You may not even need string trees.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Some headstocks are just crooked like that. It's not a problem.

Even a mild propeller twist on a neck (nut to last fret) can be easily dealt with by doing some careful fretwork.

crazydave911 and NilsZippo like this.
  8. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

That had actually crossed my mind as well - lol - love that geetar in your avatar.

ctmullins and crazydave911 like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ignore it. In the unlikely event it turns into a pretzel, buy a new neck.

crazydave911 and NilsZippo like this.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with what Marty said, but you're gonna "feel" it.. in you head... every time ya pick it up.. I have a few "bad ideas" laying around the shop to remind me of Benjamin Franklin's the old adage.. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

I'd hang it on the wall, get something yoou can live with and move ahead...

r

NilsZippo likes this.
  11. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

LOL!!! Once that subliminal message has has taken residence “in the head” well that’s the “real” clincher every time. I’ve been working with wood all my life and upon picking up the geetar again after 3 decades it was only natural I’d be drawn to the luthier side as well. But I feel honored that one of the Emeritus members himself found time to respond to my post - lol - but really, thanks Ron. You don’t know it but several of your tidbits like - it ain’t rocket science, don’t overthink it, and my favorite - it’s wood, so expect it to change - those are just paraphrased but the gist is there - those are the sorts of things that have kept it fun.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Holic

what an interesting job you have! at least it sounds cool :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.