Packing my guitars - moving abroad

jellodog

TDPRI Member
I did a UK to Canada move a few years ago. Took 3 guitars and a tube amp. All survived the trip. Also did a move before that from Australia to UK with 2 guitars, and again, both survived just fine.

For the tube amp, I used an overspecced external transformer for a few years in Canada before finally having the internal transformer replaced.

Relatedly, it's one of the reasons I switched to using solid state amps in the end (Quilter, BluGuitar): because I now only buy multi-voltage gear that can work anywhere in the world. I'm tired of dealing with the voltage difference issues.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I did a UK to Canada move a few years ago. Took 3 guitars and a tube amp. All survived the trip. Also did a move before that from Australia to UK with 2 guitars, and again, both survived just fine.

For the tube amp, I used an overspecced external transformer for a few years in Canada before finally having the internal transformer replaced.

Relatedly, it's one of the reasons I switched to using solid state amps in the end (Quilter, BluGuitar): because I now only buy multi-voltage gear that can work anywhere in the world. I'm tired of dealing with the voltage difference issues.

Good luck!
Gives me some confidence all my gear will turn up in one piece!

My tube amp has a switch to change from 240V to 110V so no need for an external transformer.

Okanagan

NEW MEMBER!
Got my visa approved this morning!

The last two weeks with my guitars and gear have been tough. Keep wanting to pick up the guitar and play out the stress! Anyway shouldn't be too long without them once I am in Vancouver.
I am giving you a pre-welcome to Vancouver! ( 60 years resident here, born and raised )

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Today my gear arrived at my new place in Vancouver, letting it get to room temperature before opening the cases. So far so good as I cannot hear any rattles or obvious breakage noises.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Well all equipment has been tested at volume and everything is in one piece! Only my Gibson was out of tune (very sharp), the rest were in tune still. All had locking tuners too so it was all neck movement. I guess that's why roasted maple is a good choice for neck stability with humidity changes. Will play them for a month before I take them to a guitar tech for final setup.

Overall the whole experience was pretty painless in the end but I'm still glad I took out the insurance just in case. Now need to get better at playing so I can not fail at a jam night!