PA System To Attract Bands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sounds like it's going great!

How did things shake out with the staff? Did you end up with a resident expert?

2. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

No experts. Put in the simplest mixer and cabled it up simple. Color coded all cables and made diagrams. Sent a pic of diagram to put in their phone. I’ve done a FaceTime consult to get things working after the first band unhooked things. The bar uses the PA system when they play music video on a big screen behind the stage with a line of JBLs down the long length for fill.

One negative. Some bands are wanting to charge for bringing their PA when they only brought a mixer (at their option a house mixer was provided).

PingGuo and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nope. No dice.

I charge more if I *have* to bring my own sound. Meaning the venue doesn’t have it, or it’s so bad it’s unusable. But if a venue provides adequate sound and you choose to bring your own anyhow...

1. You’re silly.
    2. You’re out of luck.

Edit: what I mean by unusable is either it doesn’t work properly, or is totally inadequate. I dealt with one venue where the owner did the opposite, and tried to cut prices on bands because he’d “installed a PA”. In reality what he did was score a 60 watt 4 channel radio shack amp and a pair of generic pa speakers with blown horns. He didn’t think anybody would actually use it, he just thought he could use it as an excuse to pay less.

Well... I used it. Lol. I figured if I was taking a pay cut to leave PA at home, I’d leave the PA at home. It was hilarious. And after that the PA went in the dumpster and things went back to normal.

Kingpin and rebelwoclue like this.
  4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m liking the Behringer XR18 for the mixer upgrade. Giving the band a choice of the XR18 digital (control back at the sound booth) or a simple analog mixer on stage. Online sellers tell me XR18 is the digital mixer they sell the most of. One of the 4 bands hired so far had an XR18.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The XR series are really incredible digital mixers. Any of the air series really. These things are a step ahead, if you’re into the digital thing. And super affordable.

6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

It seems saving the final settings for each band would be of value. From this thread I do expect many of the bands are not that sharp on a digital mixer. I’ll need the bar manager to be able to start up and restore the XR18 and PC. And load/save scenes.

Having 3 or 4 different monitor mixes I like.

Maybe I can get $200 for an emergency FaceTime call to get the XR18 going.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.