PA System To Attract Bands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m reading this as the DJ is sharp enough to use the House PA, but a band can’t and would need a sound person.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Beringer X32 seems to the most versatile and known board around.
    Add amps to your own taste.

3. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't call them an engineer.

Some were pretty good and tried to adjust for our sound.

Others were just content to not turn a knob and let our mix suffer. More in that last category than the first.

That's why we always had our own sound guy who knew what made us sound our best.

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

What this means is, a DJ brings their own mixer and only needs to plug two cables into the house PA. Once they've managed that, they just ride the volume up and down- there's no "mixing" like there is with bands. DJs don't worry about monitor feedback, either. The difference between amplifying a DJ and mixing a band is like the difference between applying a band-aid to a cut and performing open heart surgery. There's no real connection between the two- anyone can do the former, but you better know what you're doing if you expect to be successful at the latter.

thegeezer likes this.
  5. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Back when I was gigging every weekend, my bestfriend from kindergarten on had no idea how a mixing deck worked. He'd be turning knobs on other channels and I said so.

He said "Well, it'll help it out."

Now, he gets hired by professional bands to run sound for them. So he must have figured out how it works.

Not that difficult, each instrument has a channel and you make adjustments there before adjusting the entire mix.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And that's fine too. I guess I was tying to be a little more PC with the term "engineer".

In my experience it's better to have someone familiar with the system present to help avoid problems.

At this point we don't have any idea of what the OP may be faced with.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I own the PA our band uses, set it up and run it. One venue we go to has a full setup with decent speakers, monitors and subs I can run. But we don't mic anything but vocals and kick through FOH. I use a MG124CX Yam desk with Alto TS210As and occasionally a TS15Sub. We use a Hotrod Deluxe 112 and my Mini Jubilee and bassplayer uses a DV Mark 15 with a quadbox if reqd.

We have no issues being heard. My PA, mixers and stands, amps and case of leads fits in my wife's hatchback with seats down. Plenty of power for small-medium gigs.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

This is HANDS DOWN the BEST April Fool's joke on an internet forum I have ever encountered! The stuff of TDPRI legends!!!

9. Hackweed

Hackweed TDPRI Member

As others have said - investing in the system but not providing the help to run it is a mistake. Very quickly bands who care about their sound will ignore your system. What happens is - with nobody watching over it, connections get dropped, eq settings all squirrelly, aux sends jacked up. All lead to extra load in time to decipher what the band before was doing or not doing. Easier to bring your own at that point.

thegeezer likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

What I find interesting in your question is that you want a sound system that will attract bands, but no sound man. I have never had a preference for a type of sound system when playing out, but I have always wanted a knowledgeable sound guy (or woman) with a good ear running it. I've been in situations where the band has had to do their own sound - one guy will set the board up but of course cannot hear the mix with him playing in it (unless he has a wireless), so he then has to have another band member go out and listen while the first guy adjusts his own volume based on the input from the other guy.... not the best scenario.

voodoostation likes this.
  11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I would show up for this... image_29452.jpg

I would but that's probably just me, It punches all the right buttons; easy to use; imparts a nice warmth to the vocals and, doesen't cause a lost of distraction for anyone. Takes about 5 min to learn to dial in a sound. Having a "Pro" system is nice if you have a pro to run & maintain it. A friend of mine was on the sound CREW at a medium sized venue in a old neighborhood (read small) movie theater. They had a full time guy and at least 6 other guys part time/on call. Even a semi pro rig in a smaller venue needs at least one dedicated guy, and a back up. If you are just going to provide a glorified bar band rig, it best to just have some thing simple that folks can use if needed, and let everyone else bring their own.

thegeezer likes this.
  12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

It might be a real situation.

13. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never seen one of these. I could maybe come up with an old Kustom 400.

thegeezer likes this.
  14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Just need a way to return the system to an appropriate general setup and proper connections. With my digital mixer I’d just save a scene.

15. CK Dexter Haven

Good enough for Mr. Cash, should work for everyone else.

16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

First answer to the OP, and the thread is already over.

voodoostation likes this.
  17. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

To attract bands?

Pizza.

I've had good and bad experiences with in-house sound folks.

One place (Nottingham, UK) had a full set-up and an engineer who knew the kit inside out.
    Fantastic experience, and a clear sound (from chatting to the audience afterwards) everywhere in the venue.

Another place (Bolton, UK) had us turning up *in addition* to using the house PA.
    This gig was done mostly by Braille. A frustrating experience, with everything turning into a mushy mess.

Whatever PA is there, somebody has to know how to use it properly.

18. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I have to leave that for the band to negotiate in their contract

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  19. CK Dexter Haven

Getting back to the Kustom, I have had a few of their T&R amps and they are a lot of fun for clean pop & retro county sounds. A friend of mine has a High School in a rural area that was built in the late 50's and is basically frozen in amber, at least as far as the music department goes. His jazz band back line is a bunch of Kustom T&R stuff, that has the shop stickers from a long defunct M&P. He also has a 400 with the column speakers. All in black, I keep trying to buy it or at least up trade him to some '80s Peavy stuff, but it works and the local TV/radio guy keeps it going as a retirement project. the kids think its cool..whatch' ya gonna do?

thegeezer likes this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

...or powered speakers.

Then the whole PA is just console, XLR cables, and speakers. No racks, no outboard gear.

The Yamaha DSR112 is a great powered speaker, good for mains or monitors. The matching DSR sub is lame though, if you need subs I'd pair them with a better 18" powered box from JBL or Yorkville Elite.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.