1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

PA Speaker Q

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by charlie chitlin, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

For a fixed install passives are great. For mobile/small gig pa powered kicks them all over the shop, provided you get decent.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

The main difference in my mind is scale and array ability. If you can live on one cab or cab and sub a side, then active speakers are great. If you need wide horizontal coverage, say more than 100 degrees, then you are very limited until you start talking Meyer in terms of arraying multiple cabinets. As for reliability, early class d amps point blank sucked, they were not reliable and had problems. Today, class d have come of age. That being said, don’t completely cheap out and expect great things. Buy a name brand, JBL, QSC, Yamaha and similar.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Dacious

This is my 'young people's band' with my Alto 10" TS210 speakers and Yorkville 10" powered sub. You can see speaker on pole at right with blue light.

The speakers don't even have fans in them and have run hours @ 100deg F sweltering nights. They weigh 20lb each. Yamaha MG12FX mixer.

The speakers, mixer, cables, sub, poles, mic stands and leads fit in my wife's BMW 118 hatchback with my amp, guitars.

We've done crowds of over 50 including outdoors with this. I mic the kick and sometimes put bass through the sub. I could put guitars through it. Recently replaced the Yorkville sub with a compact Nexos 12".

Usually I run everything at less than unity gain - these are so efficient they will hurt your ears.

The Altos are four years old and run like watches. If you keep your gain structure right you'll never kill them.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    PhredE, telemnemonics and haggardfan1 like this.
  4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I'll add that my powered speakers do sound tighter somehow than any power amp/passive speaker rig I ever used, and I've had numerous systems of different sizes over the years. Efficiency is the operative word, I don't ever tax mine either, even outdoors.

PhredE, telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was strongly considering the Alto 10" TS210, they seem to be well regarded by band users and plentiful, where GC has them used for $99- $119. None are at my local stores though and it's hard to tell if a used one was beaten to death or hardly used.

Behringer offers a comparable 10" for a similar new price that has blue tooth and more inputs, FWIW, but I assume that would be a lower quality unit.

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I’d like to try some more powered speakers. My only experience is with the Yorkville NX55P, and they don’t sound anywhere as good as my old passive Elite 401s and a power amp.

7. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a distant friend that owns a sound company and asked him this question. He said the main reason he hasn't switched to powered speakers is because it's fairly unreliable that you will be able to get good clean A/C at every location you need a speaker, or you need an extension cord AND a signal cord to each cabinet, whereas he can simply run a decent quality speaker cable from his regulated bank of poweramps wherever he needs it. For his own gigs, the entire system is controlled with an iPad mounted next to his hi hat so he can make adjustments on the fly.

I use passive units...I have (as bass player and PA maestro) a 4x10 cab, my rackmounted Mesa on top of that, and my rackmounted 2 channel powered mixer on top of that. Everything convenient to a quick turn back from the crowd and tweaked as needed.

Also, I have a decent powered peavey cab that I've used as PA for a duo, backup when an actual guitar amp crapped out at a gig (sounded bad, but it was working), with my multi-effect unit for bass, a subwoofer, and sound system for an electronic drum kit. They are useful.

northernguitar likes this.
  8. Dacious

The Behringer speakers are not in the same league. Not as efficient. A friend had one as foldback that clipped constantly at realistic volume. It blew up on connection it appeared to be glued together, like JBL Eons.

The main issue is, if they break noone will fix them and you can't buy parts, whereas the module and speakers for the Altos are available.

When I bought mine I A/Bd them against QSC Ks, Yamaha both the Japanese DXR and Chinese DBR and things like JBL Eons, Mackies and so forth.

I have a friend with the DBRs who uses them for keys which have been a tank, too. Great value for money. Another friend had the Mackie Italian 12" which had a recall to fix the crackling power module but was OK after that.

The shop I bought from was a big retailer who hires out and I had good dealings with one guy there I trusted - he told me they never see the Yamaha DXRs back, the Altos withstand everything except extreme abuse - back to back with QSC K10s, the industry standard they're 90% of the speaker for 40% of the price.

They lack features which the later TS3xx have like Bluetooth. But the simplicity doesn't hurt.

The pots on the back have a two stage sweep, the first half is for line level, the second stage for mic level, as long as you keep them at the top of the line level range for PA useage, no problem. They are 120+db efficient with titanium horns. Excellent clarity.

I have an older gen TS110A figure-8 speaker which is a bit bigger and bulkier, that I put on its side for a foldback. It's the older 800 watt peak unit with a fan and it's plenty loud. I also have a CMX12 coaxial wedge for our singer, also excellent. None of them has blown in 3-4 years.

The Yamaha DXRs are excellent but a bit heavier and $$$. If you can get them used, they're a great value.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    telemnemonics likes this.
  9. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Just adding that for any higher end PA gear with digital processing, you really should be going through a power conditioner.
    They tend to be tempermental when it comes to inadequate power that oh so many bars and clubs have.
    That'll solve most issues with class D amplification...as well any any hiccups with digital mixing stations.

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.