PA Equipment Going Cheap In Your Town?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by printer2, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:28 PM.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I would have killed for this equipment at this price when I was in the running-around-with-a-band-age. I paid $500 for a cheap piece of **** 9-channel Peavy mixer in the late 70's.

MACKIE 32x8 - 8 Bus Series Mixing Console $580.00. And this is not a one-of.

[​IMG]

emisilly and BobbyZ like this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

So many things to go wrong...

Analog consoles only make sense now at the very top, and the very bottom.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My friend had a full PA system; monitors, mains, two power amps, two EQs, effects unit all in a rack, 24-channel board (in a road case), cables. He could not get rid of it for any price, so he gave it to me and I can't get rid of it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 10:00 PM
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I just saw one of these in a local pawn shop for $30 with no takers because software I suppose.

5. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I can see software based equipment going over more in a home studio, I have an 8-track Fostex in a box collecting dust for decades. But live work I don't know if I would be too keen on software based mixers. Mind you I haven't looked up the stuff lately. Then again, I don't know how many bands in the local level need a PA either. A few places I did frequent at times have had their own system that the band went through. I guess they are like solid state home organs. I told people if they got $25-50 jump on it, they come up for free. The one woman was trying to hawk it for $350, saying they paid $3,500 new. That sucks but technology passed them by.

You know, if I took a sawzall to it l could have a 16 channel that could do all I want.

emisilly likes this.
  6. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I see fairly high end 32 x 8 mixers on CL and FB here for $100-$200 on a regular basis. If I had the room and need for something that big, I'd buy one yesterday.

7. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

Oh yeah! I'll see postings for entire rigs that look like they've been sitting in storage since the 80s/90s and the seller wants $5k-$7k.

emisilly, philpm and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Recently talking to my drummer, with whom I've played since mid-sixties. We had a Peavey four channel, 100 watt PA head, with two speaker columns with four twelves in each column. We had "solid" three-part harmony, and we played EVERYWHERE with that 100 watt head. Now people insist they have to have 1000+ watts for vocal PA......have watts changed????? I recently bought a little Kustom Profile One PA set up.....LITTLE speakers (two cabs with 2X6" +horn in each) but the mixer/head is 100 watts. Other than the speaker sizes, this thing should equal the old Peavey, right? I realize this doesn't provide for monitors, but still??????????

GibbyTwin likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Rating of PA powered speakers is 'optimistic'. They may generate 1000 watts peak at exactly 1345.5hz and less than 200 watts at 50hz.

Many older pieces of equipment were rated very modestly. Many modern speakers including cheap ones have quite inefficient speakers.

My band uses class D plastic box on stick speakers which are searingly powerful but only turned up halfway. Even then you can still have ears ringing. Back then your amps and speakers probably weren't as loud - you didn't mic stuff especially in small venues. And the speakers and amps you used naturally compressed.

So you managed, by turning things up or down. Like we do know.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've posted this one before. This guy has been posting this same listing for over 10 years on our local CL. The Peavey Mark III mixer he wants $25K for is missing most of its channels (he no longer posts the pics with it): https://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/d/18-altec-15-concert-sound-speaker-subs/7055451446.html

11. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Similar memory here. I also still gig with a drummer I've played with since '70 and we used to put 3 vocals through a cheap 4 channel mixer (can't recall brand) which went through a Bogan 100 watt head (no reverb) using an Echoplex tape echo for 'effects'. This was routed to two Altec columns with six 8 inch speakers in each. I was using a Kustom 100 combo with 4 ten inch speakers and the Farfisa Duo-Compact came through a Leslie 122.
    Have no memories of ever thinking we weren't loud enough.
    Of course, the key word is 'memories', which I often question these days. :)

noname_dragon and nojazzhere like this.
  12. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

I have a soundcraft digital mixer. The singer can mix with an iphone while in the audience. No sliders to lose, no bulky board to carry. It’s just a better technology IMO.

13. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

My band, we gig pretty regularly. Acoustic instruments, and mics plugged into 3 Fishman Loudbox Mini amps.

Compared to a full PA, no it ain’t what it used to be. But neither is the live music scene. The Loudboxes work for us and we get plenty of gigs.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

How many people actually need a full PA system?
    If you needed one, would you want to buy my old, outdated, heavy(!), Peavey rig from the early 90’s?

I would not.

Everything is lighter, more powerful, probably sounds better, Bluetooth compatible etc....

Marc Morfei likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that the fatal flaw is that a 32 x 8 is stupid big. It’s in a niche category.

I play in a common 4 person band. A 32 x 8 would be cumbersome and bulky and silly. I wouldn’t want it at all.

In Milwaukee I’ve noticed that unpowered speakers don’t sell on Craigslist and impractical mixers don’t sell. Power amps don’t sell.

I think that people are simply moving on as far as technology is concerned.

LGOberean and emisilly like this.
  16. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I traded all my big heavy pa gear at guitar center. They give 60% of what they will ask for it. Much easier to let them try and get rid of it. Glad to see it go. We get by with a couple 12" powered mackies and no subs these days.
    If I still had to lug around that huge crap, I'd just quit.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I'll drive down and pick it up as soon as we can expect a few snowless days in a row.

I likes me an old Allen Heath or a Soundcraft board, yes I do! I prefer Neve of course but no one is giving those away.

Those old boards work as well as they ever did. If they break I can fix 'em.

There is a run down old church in town. I noticed the lights are on at night. I was walking by yesterday. There's a shiny new lock on the door but the door wasn't locked. The interior is mostly renovated, original hardwood floor, original plaster ceiling, ceiling mostly re- painted, new seating with extra chairs stacked against the walls.

Hello, old Allen Heath 24 channel board with a flock of SM57s and 58s! Couple wireless receivers, too.

Electric drums up near the pulpit...

It's as good once as it ever was.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    ce24 and BobbyZ like this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Few years back my buddie's store took a PA system in on consignment. The board was HUGE the speakers were HUGE JBL cabs, there was a rack with a bunch of stuff in it. It came with a HUGE box of cables. The whole works probably wouldn't fit in a full sized van. No idea the asking price but finally the guy had to be "talked" into getting it out of the store. He was in no hurry because he had no where to put it. Thousands of dallors new, pretty much worthless now.
    That system was exceptionally large because he was going to be some kind of local band promotion/manager guru type thing.
    That didn't work out. There really is no local live music scene here anymore.

19. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

There could be.

I'm lookin' at what used to be a local Rite Aid. It's been boarded up for years. I counted 60 parking spaces. It's far enough away from schools and churches. Local zoning boards consider things like that before they sign off on a "performance space".

I'm thinkin' lockable partitions to divide the space. I'd offer an after school drop- in program, public service doncha know? Figure out which kids can play, which kids can mix front of house and which kids can run lights.

Or maybe that old church. It already has a P.A..

:cool: :cool: :cool:

old soul, Moriarty and BobbyZ like this.
  20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Just a thought. The kids will probably be all cleared outta there by 7-8 o'clock. So you got a big building empty and another source of income never hurts. Maybe if the zoning works out you could have a "gentlemen's" club in there starting at 10pm every night.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.