1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P90s

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Deckard, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another vote for the P90 sound..
    My early experience was almost exclusively with single coils..Not very fond of the HB sound..Then I fell in to a give a way deal on a Squier Custom II with P90s..Nother whole new world for me..Kinda liked the guitar but hated the color..Sold it and felt regret real soon..
    I then got a set of Rose Freedom T90s and put them in a Tele build..They will never leave my possession..Not as much twang as a single coil but still enough for country picking..And with the 4 way switch they kick tail through a good tube amp..
    Very sensitive to height adjustment and tone control knob..
    My Tele with the Freedom T90s has become my go-to axe...

2. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all of the input it's really helpful and appreciated. I'll stand by saying the people on TDPRI are some of the finest humans alive. For those who walk the single p90 path do you miss the neck pickup?

3. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

For me, not at all - there's enough range in a single P90 to render a neck pickup unnecessary. Single pickup guitars are a different animal, and so much fun to play.

This video is well worth a watch if you're interested in what a single P90 can do... That Junior! Drool.

4. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

I spend a lot of time on the neck pickup on my 2xP90 guitars. But then I pick up a Jr or my old P90 Melody Maker and it's all I want/need. I guess what I'm saying is I'll use it if I have it, but I don't miss it even a little bit when it's not there. There's a certain charm to a single P90 that can't be beat.

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually use the neck pickup on all my guitars more than the bridge..Even on a Strat I like the neck mid combo..The neck/bridge in series or parallel on a Tele works well for me..

6. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

TV Jones/Filtertrons are dual coil/humbuckers. Jazzmasters are single coil but with a different wind than a P-90.

If hum is a problem try some with grounded metal casings. I did a LP Special with some and it is very quiet. GFS sells some.

I would give a +1 on the Rose Freedom T-90s. I have some of their Eden P-90s as well. You can spec which AlNiCo you want, sunken or surface mount, all good stuff.

Yes, treat yourself to a LP Jr. It's a Gibson version of the Esquire. You'd be amazed the sounds you can get from a one pup guitar with some practice.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Deckard, you mentioned that you were considering a P-90 neck pickup. When several suggested a single P-90 in the bridge position, you asked if they missed the neck pickup. Well, they might not, but I for one would.

As twintwelve said earlier, a P-90 is a perfect tele neck pickup. I have a tele that was custom made for me by Bob Logan, and it has a P-90 in the neck, with a vintage style bridge pup. That guitar is very versatile. The body is solid mahogany, so she's heavy (the guitar weighs 9 lbs. 2 oz.), but also with a shade warmer tones than pine or alder or ash (the body woods on my other Logan Customs). Amber tinted Birdseye maple neck & board, gold appointments.

Here's a couple of pics of her...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Playing through the bridge pup is bright and twangy, definitely sounds like a tele, but I actually play most with the selector switch in the middle position. I play through the neck pup more than the bridge, and it's capable of warm and jazzy, or a touch of grit and bluesy, or nice and crunchy. So I think this pickup configuration is capable of handling the variety of genres you mentioned playing.

8. LGOberean

Oh, and with all this talk about an LP junior, do keep in mind the different scale lengths between a junior and an Esquire with a single P-90, it won't be the same. The Gibson-style single P-90 guitars (LP junior, SG junior) are short scale 24.75" versus the Fender style 25.5" scale. With a junior you not only get a different feel to the play, you get a different tone, less spank and twang, more grit, darker tone. With the longer scale, even with a bridge P-90, you may not get ice pick, but you will get more spank and twang.

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

P-90's are my favorite pickups, they are great in a Tele.

[​IMG]

10. PumpJockey

This never occurred to me. Most discussions on scale length have to do with what they are like to play. (Me, I scarcely notice the difference, although most Gibson-style necks are flatter than most Fender necks and I notice that when I do the "thumb-over" chords.)

I would think that you are also hearing the difference between what is most likely a maple board Esquire and a rosewood board LP Jr.

And that Logan is sweet looking, although my ancient back muscles probably could not abide that weight for very long.

11. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I have Kinman vintage noiseless in my Strat and they sort of saved my a$$ the other night when I was at a gig where my Tele was buzzing like a cheap TV. They are really great pickups, and now I'm building a Les Paul and was originally thinking mini humbuckers, but Kinman P90s might just be the ticket, thanks for the opinion.

12. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Scale length has never been an issue for me playing/feel wise I switch between fender and Gibson style guitars all the time. I've actually been looking at the Reverend Sensei guitars they have a junior style which has a treble cut and a bass cut instead of a traditional tone circuit which could be exactly what the doctor recommended.

13. LGOberean

You're quite right about the flatter fretboard radius of Gibson style necks vs. Fender style necks, and about most discussions of differing scale lengths centering on playability issues. But I've heard it said by others, and it tracks with my own experience, that longer scale length contributes to the snap and twang of the strings. And I'm sure you're also right about the maple board contributing to that as well.

Thanks, Bob does great work. About the weight, I can't handle it like I used to. I've had the guitar just shy of 6 years, and at first I could do a whole set with that mahogany slung over my shoulder, no problem. But it seems that after I hit 60, I just couldn't perform standing up anymore. I'm kinda embarrassed about it, but I've taken to performing sitting on a stool versus standing up the whole time. So I don't play my mahogany unless I'm sitting down, and truthfully, this Logan tele gets the least play these days of my four Logans.

It's great that you're comfortable switching between the scale lengths, as you put it, playing/feel wise. However, my point was not really about playability issues, but rather about string responsiveness and tone. If you compare an Esquire with a P-90 to an LP or SG junior, I'd expect to hear differences in tone.

14. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

This a thousand times over. A P90 Esquire will never sound like a Jr, Even if you use all mahogany. It'll sound like a mahogany Esquire with a P90. Ever played a tele with a conversion neck? Sounds like a twangy Firebird.

OTOH, I love a P90/single coil tele...one of my favorite setups. Fender spank, Gibson fat, middle position to die for. I like a low wind P90 and a big fat nocaster type bridge. Match made in heaven.

15. Morgancolgrave

Morgancolgrave Tele-Meister

Les Paul special has two. You can always just get hotter single coils. Saves getting new guitar!!

Who am I kidding!!!!

16. PumpJockey

The difference in length of the Fender scale vs. the Gibson scale is approx. 5%. Longer scale length = more amplitude in the middle of the string when plucked. (E.g. greater range of movement for a given force applied.) This will alter the sound and make it louder.

Will it result in more "twang", i.e. a more metallic timbre? On a metal string that may well be. The fingerboard wood absorbs various frequencies depending on its species and how much it is sealed.

I am still voting for fingerboard wood! :D And pickup style. The P-90 is wound in a way that emphasizes mid-frequency range over upper range. Plus it is usually not mounted to a metal bridge (although it can be), but to the body itself.

My conclusion? The OP needs to get a guitar with P-90s!

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, now that this thread has at least a few of us gassing for an LP Jr, I have been researching kits.
    This may not be the place to bring up building an LP Jr, but if anyone wants to discuss it, we can start a new thread.

18. Funkyboss007

Funkyboss007 TDPRI Member

P90s are the best just be careful on which. Some are overwound and too bright, and there can be a noise problem, big time. The old ice pick saying is appropriate.

Spend the money to get good ones. The kinman hum canceling pups are great but crazy expensive. I think 400 bucks.

If you can't afford that there are others that at shielded that don't really have a hum problem. I got vintage vibe p90's and he custom wound them for me. Half the cost of kinmans and they sound incredible, and I've had no problems.

Also, if you have neck and bridge they can be reverse wound and when both are on hum cancel each other.

Kinmans are the only decent hum cancelers I know off. The rest kill your tone.

If you're curious about vintage vibe there are some discussions on here about him. Very positive and my experience was the same.

19. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

I have a set of Vineham humbucker sized p90s in my Epi Dot. What a difference in clarity, brightness and tone! Gnarly and aggressive when overdriven too. Made a world of difference to the sound of that guitar.

Here's a link to Craig's website if you are interested. He does great work at very reasonable prices.

http://www.vineham.com/p90_pickups.html

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm going against the grain here, but I never liked P90's, and still
    still find them noisy and unclear sounding.
    The best sounding ones in ever heard were Rio Grandes, but I eventually
    replaced them with mini humbuckers.
    I agree they have a nasty, raspy snarl through a cranked up amp, but I prefer
    articulation to grit.
    P100s and other hum canceling types sound even worse, IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.