P90's

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I had a PRS SE One with a Duncan Antiquity P90 in the bridge pickup. I routed out space and carved up the PG to put in a strat single in the neck. It actually sounded great, and the strat neck pickup made it a very "versatile" guitar but for whatever reason I completely lost interest in playing it and sold it several months later.

These days I think you are better off with a bridge and neck that will complement each other without requiring any amp adjustments, so dual whatevers are the way to go. Looks better that way too. Trying for a do-it-all kind of approach to guitars has never worked out for me.
I do have a neck P90 bridge tele traditional guitar, those go together nicely if you pick a somewhat underwound P90 and a kind of hot tele bridge pickup.
Sounds something like mine. Stock PRS P-90 (which sounds GREAT) and a Asian import "hot rails"-style in the neck.
upload_2021-10-10_20-3-13.jpeg

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
P-90 in the neck and a good single-coil in the bridge is a real nice combination :).

Since they just have one volume control, I like my Teles setup for balanced volume between the neck and bridge.

This one has a Fralin -10% underwound neck P-90 and one of Rob DiStefano's Fat Lion Tele bridge pickups

727519-7853c87fecf5672c35dc24af715ce56b.jpg

With the P-90 neck pickup set a little lower than normal, I've got excellent volume balance with the bridge p.u., plus I also get that sparkle and chime (along with the regular grind :)) from the P-90 that's often missing when they are set too close to the strings ;)

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
Only have one guitar with P90s, an Epi Wildkat......they sound good enough after with fiddling with this and that......prefer the old gold foils in my old Harmony, they sound, to me, like a P90 in my imagine, well at least more so than Fender single coils, and yeah, I know they're all singles....

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I cheated and went with a set of Duncan Phat Cats in my Les Paul Special.

I had a P90 semihollow at the time, and the folks saying they weren’t “P-90 enough”… well, we’ll agree to disagree.

That guitar hadn’t left its case in the year before I made the change, now it’s a regular in the rotation.

P90s seem more sensitive to string gauge differences and pickup height adjustments too. The difference between “ewww!” and “Yeah!” is very, very small.

My experience with the Phat Cats is that they nail the sound of a nice P90. They don't sound the same as brand X specific P90, but neither do other P90s, they vary a bit like any pickup.
For me the danger with P90s is too hot a winding and they will get muddy real quick, losing their charm, which is to do that warm, ready-to-overdrive thing while retaining tons of harmonic content. I don't think of them as versatile, but what they do well is something I really like!

supersoldier71

Tele-Afflicted
My experience with the Phat Cats is that they nail the sound of a nice P90. They don't sound the same as brand X specific P90, but neither do other P90s, they vary a bit like any pickup.
For me the danger with P90s is too hot a winding and they will get muddy real quick, losing their charm, which is to do that warm, ready-to-overdrive thing while retaining tons of harmonic content. I don't think of them as versatile, but what they do well is something I really like!
This was exactly my experience with the stock pickups in my Wildkat.

They were absurd! Bridge was over 18k, neck right at 17k DCR. Now I know DCR ain’t the be-all, end-all measurement, but the guitar was unusable because of the pickups.

Tim at Budda Pickups custom rewound a set and then I could understand what all the fuss was about.

I’d essentially stopped playing my Les Paul Special. I wasn’t overly fond of the Slim Taper neck was what I thought of as the reason.

Swapped in the Phat Cats and now I don’t mind the neck at all, really. The stock 498T/490R set weren’t bad; Phat Cats are better for what I like to play and with my amps.

I like the open, articulate crunch and the hard edged cleans. I like the responsiveness.

supersoldier71

Tele-Afflicted
Another nice P90 sounding pickup is the DiMarzio Bluesbucker.
I paired a BB with a Super Distortion in my PRS S2 Standard 24.

It seems a little too smooth to cop that P90 thing, but don’t get me wrong, it’s not going anywhere. So whatever it’s doing, it’s doing it well.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Noice Trev ( think kath ) ;)

Have finished my LP Jr. ala Ross Wilson's.
Need a better pickup.
Please let me know what/Price etc. via Conversations as to a good model.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
I followed ChicknPickn's take on this in another thread and installed a NOT hot (6k-7k) P90 in the neck of a Telecaster a couple of days ago. It's a cheap Fleor ($18) that is constructed in the traditional manner with two A5 bar magnets. I didn't want to spend much because I just wanted to experiment. I paired it with a Wilde L290TL-E I had in a drawer. ChicknPickn had recommended the Wilde noiseless with a P90 neck, and I must say they pair great! Great in all three switch positions. Very happy.

Now all I need is a pickguard... or maybe not.

PXL_20211015_182720635~4[1].jpg