P90s vs Jazzmaster pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bugo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I agree. In my Strat, I set up a switch to toggle between '50s wiring (tone cap tapped off wiper of volume control) with a 470pF/220kohm series bypass, and I prefer the latter. However, the difference is very subtle.

2. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

People don't like a treble bleed? What better cheaper way to cut the bass down if you need to?

3. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Well, here it's mostly maligned with Tele pickups - treble bleed makes Tele bridge pickups sound thin, tinny and ice-picky (that's my own experience with numerous Tele bridge PUs on various Teles, too!)
    But with a PU that's much fatter and bassier by nature, like a P90, I could understand how the slimming effect of treble bleed is actually a good thing!

4. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

Another way to achieve a similar thing is with a Q-filter on a P/P pot. You wire it to raise the resonant frequency as you turn the knob down to 5 for sparkle and chime, and to boost the mids around 2kHz below 5. The other differences are it retains the bass in all positions and will cost you ~$50.00 all told.

5. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Are the Jazzmaster PV 65's like P90"s? I didn't think so. How do they differ from PRS soap bar pickups ( that are on the 277 SE? )

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Both pickups do clean well.
    JM's are more twangy unless you get a P90 with slug magnets.
    P90's are fatter - more mids = raunchy with high gain.

Depends on what you prefer.

7. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, I have to quote you so people will know what I'm answering... :) You are correct, steel poles and other steel parts in the vicinity of the string do create significant eddy currents in a P90. But phase cancellation is not the active mechanism for this phenomenon - it appears as a resistance in parallel with the pickup, which is not uniform with respect to frequency and also does not have peaks and valleys like phase cancellation produces, but instead gradually increases with increasing frequency. The resistance has the main effect of lowering Q.

8. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

In addition to the above: I find P90's to sound more direct, hard and less compressed than JM's.

I strongly prefer JM's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.