1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P90's vs Jazzmaster Pickups: Much Difference?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by brapscallion, Jul 4, 2016.

1. brapscallion

brapscallion TDPRI Member

I play mainly Post-Punk, but also with heavy sections. It's my band workhorse guitar, so it has to be suited to this task. I think the P90's could be a good middle ground.

And Bareknuckle! I wish I could afford them!

This is all great info. Thankyou.

This sounds just what I'm after. I know it's specific, but something that distorts, but can also go pretty clean for scratchy/solo parts.

Creamery! Just down the road from me! Problem is with stuff like Creamery Pickups is price. I know it's a solid investment, but I can get a pair of Warman Humbucker-Sized P90's for £30 delivered, which is incredible value. And if I don't like em, it's not such a risk!

2. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Tele-Meister

yeah we make alnico pole p-90s and you get more of a splashy fendery sound but the lower wider coil gives it a little bit of the p-90 sound too with less mids than a screw pole bar magnet design.
    That article about moving your strat pickups- a huge part of pickup tone is coil shape, low wide coils have more inductance- henries- than tall narrow coils. Tall narrow coils sound brighter and clearer, low wide more bassy and rounder. A strat coil is never going to sound like a jazzmaster. Thing about jazzmasters is they have the same turn count as a strat but because the length of wire is longer per turn (because of the diameter of the coil) the ohms read much higher- ohms = how many feet of a certain gauge wire. A strat about 6.2K equals a jazzmaster about 8.2K with the same amount of turns. If you are really tuned in youll notice a jazzmaster doesnt really have much more output than a strat, it may seem like it does because of the extra bass making your amp give it up faster but listen to the upper mids and treble- level of distortion will be very close to a strat.
    Big three part article on jazzmasters if you search my blog.
    an 8.2K P-90 takes about 2000 turns more compared to a jazzmaster so 10.000 turns of 42 vs 8000- makes a big difference in output and midrange plus other design factors but the 1/4 tall coil instead of the 1/8 tall in a jazzmaster makes a big difference in coil circumfrence.

oyobass and bullfrogblues like this.
  3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jason, Thanks for the info. Really cool! I had never put 2 and 2 together about height and width influencing sound/character so much

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.