1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P90 Tele Dlx question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by attilamarton, Dec 10, 2018.

1. attilamarton

attilamarton TDPRI Member

Hi TDPRIs!

I decided to replace the WRHB PUs on my mim tele deluxe '72 RI with Lollar P90s.
    I was happy to realize that common soapbars fit nicely, without any routing and I already mounted them with by screwing them onto the body:
    7488C318-DA2C-49CE-A0F7-20AF39F8A074.jpeg
    Now, I need to route the pickguard ( I bought a new blank tele deluxe pickguard ) for the PUs!
    Before making it final I just wondering if you find the P90 positions okay...
    Both the PUs are centered and it sounds fine for first.
    The pics I found on the internet was like this: neck PU all the way up, maybe the bridge PU could be a bit further from the bridge itself.

Anyhow, I'm eager to hear your comments!
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Best regards!
    A

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the tones I get from my SX STL-50 since I put a P90 in the neck. I kept the the Tele bridge.

I have the neck pickup about average height I guess. The main thing is adjusting where the volume is balanced between the 2 pickups, if you want to use them together. I don't do this often though.

3. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I guess the OCD guy in me wants you to center them to the cavity as well.
    That said, I think I have seen P90 guards on fleebay, the positioning maybe slightly different than how you have it now.
    As a builder I would move the bridge p'up forward towards the neck so that guard can go all the way around the p'up. So that there's at least 3/8 of an inch of pick guard after the pickup before the bridge. Similar to the distance between the neck and the neck picup....Again that could be the OCD guys talking.

bender66 and Newbcaster like this.
  5. attilamarton

Thanks for all the replies!
    As you suggested I move the bridge PUa bit away from the bridge!

I'll keep you updated! ;)

6. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

The positions of the pickups on my P90 Tele (it's in my picture to the left) are as follows :-

The poles of the bridge pickup are 45 mm from the nominal bridge position. This places the centre line of the poles at the same point as the centre line of a standard Tele bridge pickup where it crosses the centre line of the guitar. Hopefully that makes sense!

The distance between the poles of the bridge pickup & the poles of the neck pickup is 106 mm. This places the edge of the P90 casing that is closest to the neck, in the same place as the edge of the standard Tele neck pickup.

The pickups are Seymour Duncan SP-1's, basically direct copies of the original Gibson P90, and the sounds I get are everything you would expect from P90's; full, raunchy & biting, or mellow, chiming & warm, depending on your playing style amp setting & volume knob setting.

I'm not sure that a mm or two either way will change things too dramatically.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Traditionally you would want the neck pickup poles at the harmonic location "24th fret" , not that I think it matters much myself.
    For the bridge it depends on how much twang you like, closer to the bridge, more twang. To me I'd move it towrd the neck position, but that just me.
    Keep in mind that P90's sound great further from the strings than most pickups. I'd probably have the neck oles 1/4-5/16 away from the string!

8. attilamarton

Hey,

yesterday I finished the mounting process!
    As some of you suggested I moved the bridge PU toward the neck, and moved a neck just slightly down:

96EEE116-BD41-4FA2-8F47-EEFE41ADF879.jpeg 48F01F1A-78D9-4BD1-96F2-D5878A596200.jpeg

A bit of an adjusting is still needed and installing some electronics (I think 4x 500k pots and 2x 0.02mF caps will do it. I might try series parallel and in- and out of phase switching, plus treble bleeds).
    Right now the PUs are wired directly to the output.

Thanks for all of you, for your support!

As footnote I'd like to add, that the mounting design of the soapbar P90s are awful.
    Two long screws - very close to each other.
    I'm no expert myself, but this aint feel right.
    Maybe it is designed for cavities, whose dimensions are exactly matching the P90s...
    Anyhow, probably needed to do it once in a lifetime. :)

Random1643 and ScribbleSomething like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.