1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P90 placement on a set neck build. Need advice

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Sep 24, 2012.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

So I finally started working on my chambered alder/walnut tele project again after about 7 months of it just sitting there. I glued my top on over the weekend and think i may have messed up. My original plan was to rout for the neck, glue the neck in, and then glue the top on. My reason for doing it this way was because I wanted to use soap bar p90s and wanted them to set shy of the fretboard end by 1/8" or so. Well, since it had been sitting there for so long, I forgot about that and glued my top on without routing for or setting the neck (the neck isn't made yet), so now I'll need to rout through the top to accommodate my neck.

My question is this-- should I just butt the neck pickup right against the fretboard end, make some rings to cover the gap, or use humbucker sized p90s with rings (gfs mean 90)?

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Roger. Is it correct that you now have a body with the top glued on but no routs yet. I can only envision a problem if the tennon of the neck has to be deeper the a rout for a bolt-on. Having never made a set-neck I don't know if this is just "desired" or "required." If required it sounds like your proposed solutions would work fine. If you can effectively glue in a neck into the same space a bolt on would occupy you could go with this plan. Just rout both the p90 and the neck routes before glue-up. Or you could switch up and still do a bolt-on. Best of luck either way - I fear I have been little help other than moral support.
    Rex

3. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

Not sure I understand why you can't rout for the neck pickup before you glue the neck.

4. RogerC

Sorry guys. I'm apparently not explaing myself well.

As you can see here in Glenn's (flatfive) pic from the challenge build, this is how my rout will need to be cut.

[​IMG]

The issue is that I wanted to use soap bar p90s, which don't have a ring. Without that ring, if the pickup is placed where it normally goes, there will be a gap between the end of the fretboard and the pickup. By moving the pickup to butt up against the end of the fretboard, it'll change the sound somewhat and may look odd. My question is would you go ahead and butt it against the fretboard, or make rings to cover the gap, or option 3 - use hb sized p90s with rings?

5. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

and I'm not sure why he can't route for the p'up after setting the neck. A 3/4 template should give a router clearance over the fretboard. Just drill the wire access from the neck pocket before gluing the neck, if need be.

the gap - have the p'up template open ended at the neck end and put a 1/8th spacer up against the butt end of the neck? The proper bit will take care of the corner radius.

no problems - only solutions.

Edit after seeing latest post... route neck up to point where you want the top exposed and drill and chisel the rest of the mortise out underneath the top? Sloppy? Not really... Have you seen any gibson mortise - tenon pics? heh

6. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

I got it now. It might not look bad with the tennon showing on the top for that 1/8". Or you could use a little trim piece like LP specials, and small guard SGs used.

7. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

1 piece neck or 2 piece neck?

No matter. Cut a section of the top out before you rout for the neck/PU. Put it back in after you glue in the neck. If you cut it out of the PU area, it should be big enough to cover. You just have to calculate the thickness of the neck between the fretboard and the PU so you can glue the patch in flush with the top.

I'm just guessing here.

8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Roger,

Been wondering what you've been up to. I'd just extend part of the neck to fill in the space or just put in a small piece of walnut. Should be able to match it pretty will with the top. Definitely "no" on the pickup rings.

BTW been working on the transparent orange w/ racing stripe body. See here:
    Racing stripe

Robert

9. RogerC

Thanks for the input, guys. There are definitely more options than what I was giving myself initially.

Robert, that body is sexy as hell, dude :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.