P90 Pickers...

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by mhainz, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank-you. That was my first routing and it was done free hand. I just drew the outline centered behind the neck and drew the outline in Sharpie. There is an issue, that still needs taking care of. The router was new (from Harbor Freight) and had a screw that was poking out from the surface of the base, which scratched the guitar. (See first picture low and left of the route.)

The fret ends are very good on this one. No sprout what so ever. Then again, it's normally very humid here, so the wood doesn't get much of a chance to shrink up from drying out. A few of the frets could use leveling and dressing, but nothing drastic. It's quite playable.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Recent addition. Cheap Entwistle vintage-PAF-ish HB at the bridge, and a hand-wound P-90 (from a stewmac kit) at the neck.

[​IMG]

Body is copied from a Reverend. Bass contour and a coil split for the HB. Super jangly! :)

3. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a tin barn roof look !!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

4. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

nice work on that! I have a set of those Entwistles in my Epiphone SG. Nice pickups IMHO.

5. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Lots of very, very nice Telecasters in this thread! I especially like the one pickup concept.

My claim to membership is the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II.

The one in the picture is not mine, but it's exactly the same. A really nice P-90 Telecaster, for very little money.

[​IMG]

/ Tony

6. davewrites

davewrites TDPRI Member

I have the same Squier VM Tele Custom II as Tony, but in Vintage Blonde -- a tremendously underrated guitar with incredible tone and feel. It may be my favourite "player" right now. It's too easy to pick up and too difficult to put down.

7. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

Cheers !!!

[​IMG]

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool!,,,, that looks awesome.....;)

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

That SOM guitar does look awesome, and I've seen it in another thread. It's given me some ideas. I have some lumber salvaged from a house fire that I want for another "Firecaster." Our house was built in 1936, so a '36 plate for a pickguard would be very cool. What's more, 1936 was the centennial for Texas, so that plate would have even more significance.

[​IMG]

10. TCapp

TCapp Former Member

She's not a tele, but she was my first American made guitar. I call her Goldie, I know original haha.

image-4165902887.jpg

image-2986306871.jpg

11. LGOberean

Maybe it's just me, but that color looks more "copper" than "gold" to me eyes/on my screen.

I don't think I've ever seen a Les Paul gold top with black covers on the P-90s, I recall them being cream covers. Maybe I'm mistaken, though. Is that an aftermarket change on your part or what?

12. TCapp

TCapp Former Member

It's the 50's tribute from their 2013 line. The black covers is what they did for this model I guess. Look it up. And it's a gold top, no gloss finish. Much like a studio. Look it up!

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an MP Thinline Deluxe like this one but I've modified the neck pick up with a 500k volume pot and a TBX Tone Pot. It brightened the neck pickup up considerably and added some nice versatility.

They're very sweet sounding and playing Teles and not at all hard on the wallet. With the mods I have less than $400 into it. Very similar CIC quality to a Squier CVC. I get a lot of compliments on it.

[​IMG]

14. LGOberean

Hey! Here's an idea...maybe I'll look it up! :p :lol:

15. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Soulman, do the P90's noise cancel with the pickup selector switch in the middle position?

Beautiful guitar by the way. I like the accessibility to the pots, etc., via the big pickguard; unlike some of the difficult to reach components on some semi hollows.

Is it a semi solid or does it have a solid center block?

How do you like the tone of the pickups? Does it have a thin or thick top?

I like some of these Modern Players and have a Marauder that I like a lot. This Thinline tele is something that I am considering.

16. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

P90s are my favorite pickups. It started with the '14 Les Paul Melody Maker, before that guitar I really had no idea how great they sounded. Then I put a GFS Dream 90 in the neck position of my Ampeg in place of the original, dead humbucker. This forum led me to the Tele Modern Player Thinline, just installed Onomacs custom wound P90s and 500K pots, it sings.

Last but not least, I have a Fralin P92 split coil to install in my G&L Tribute Bluesboy Thinline in place of the stock humbucker. I guess you could say I really like the sound of P90s :lol:

17. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Well I finally found and bought, Saturday actually, a Fender Black Dove Telecaster. It should be here this week. Really lookin' fwd to getting this.

18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I suppose you could say..........I love P90s (these are all Seymour Duncan Antiquities)

19. LGOberean

I'll tell you what...elelpe has really got me to thinking about a bridge P-90 paired with a mini-hb in the neck. Since seeing those pics and reading his description (see previous page), I've been really thinking about that combination.

I'm planning and trying to save up for another custom guitar build by Bob Logan, and I had previously been thinking that it would be a Hot Rod pickup configuration. But since March, after seeing elelpe's "telegibbo," I'm wavering.

Care to try to talk me into it?

20. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

corrected the "Stagg" brand name on the daphne blue one. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.