P90 Phat Cat install on LP Tribute 4 wire connectors PCB

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Hey All,

I want to test a SD P90 Phat Cat in Les Paul Tribute which for this unfortunate reason has a PCB with all the quick connections.

Now the 490 HB in their now have 4 wires to a Gibson Quick connector and the Phat Cat and other P90 Humbuckers are 2 wires.

Which would be the best or cleanest way to install this in the neck position only?

Can I cut the connector on the neck pickup and just connect the 2 wires to the cut connector (but which 2 of the 5 wires on the connectors do I solder to the 2 pickup wires)

Or

Solder the 2 wires directly to the neck volume pot ( but where do I solder them) and just unplug the neck connector?

Oh, and surely someone will say this.. No, I am not re-wiring controls with new 500k pots and caps to make it traditional..

Thanks in advance

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
Cut the wire from the 490R, solder the hot from the phat cat to the red and the outer shield to the black and bare wire. Put some heat shrink over it, there are adapters for the quick connect but for the price if you're only doing one to me not worth it but it's your call.

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Cut the wire from the 490R, solder the hot from the phat cat to the red and the outer shield to the black and bare wire. Put some heat shrink over it, there are adapters for the quick connect but for the price if you're only doing one to me not worth it but it's your call.

Thank you... is this correct?

Red Gibson wire to Black Phat Cat wire (shrink wrap)
Black and Bare Gibson wire to Shield Phat Cat
Cut white and green Gibson wire and cap the connections?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 19

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Yes that’s correct.

Great, then Ill probably just by a new quick connect with 5 wires to cut so I can return this to stock with out hacking it.. I am really trying to get more clarity and articulation from the dark, kinda muddy neck PU.. I dont need the overly hot 490.. Unfortunately, tone control, PU height and PU poles made little difference.. After the neck is sorted Ill tackle the nasally brittle bridge PU..

Why oh why do my ears deceive me so!!!