1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

p90 or HB?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by schnadz, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Jake909

Jake909 Tele-Meister

A note about jazz and p'ups. Pics of Wes, Grant Green, and so many others show them playing Humbuckers, P90s, CCs, maybe a Mini-HB or a Gold Foil. Most are in semi-hollow bodies. But You Tube jazz guitarist Fred Archtop plays hollow bodies most often with a CC. Tim Lerch, as many here know, plays mostly Teles and favors a CC. I've got single coils, Humbuckers and P90s and can get to the jazz tones on all of them. Much credit, of course, always to the player. Just an old begin-againer here, I'm in awe of the players, no matter the genre. Heart and soul will carry the day.

2. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Super cool feedback, friends.

I have done a trad SS setup (a '64 AVRI that I should not have gotten rid of!), and it works quite well. I currently have one with a SC in the neck and a HB in the bridge. It is counter-intuitive, but it actually really works well for me. I'm looking for a setup to give a change of pace. I'm doing the 'tron neck and traditional tele bridge, but the balance is off (no matter how I adjust the pickups or settings. The bridge pup has a focus in the upper mids that gets "fizzy" if everything sounds good with the 'tron. I prefer a smoother breakup. I've tried it through a ton of different pedals, and am convinced it's the pickups. I love the guitar, so going to change things out, and just looking for a bit of "positive peer pressure" as I consider the options. Perhaps I should keep the 'tron. In the end, yes, we all sound like ourselves no matter the gear, but we also have a sound in our heads, and gear helps us get a little closer, or at least feel more comfortable on the way.

3. 3CardMonty

3CardMonty TDPRI Member

7225D04E-A2DB-431C-91E3-5F9FA00E30BC.jpeg Did you ever think of putting a Mini-Humbucker in the Neck? I once had a G&L Bluesboy with a HB in the neck, but it was too muddy. I like P90’s myself. They’re very responsive to touch & feel and can be jazzy, but also gritty depending on how hard you push them. I love my Squier Classic Vibe 50’s Blonde Tele. It has Alnico III’s in it. Very jazzy. Beware - The Butterscotch version has Alnico V’s in them - much more raw & gritty sounding.

4. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I occasionally play in a Jazz Trio with a rotating cast of characters. The last time I played with them they had a guy sit in who played a Strat with 2 P-90's. That guitar sounded exquisite.

5. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

P90s are awesome but the hum is a real problem in certain rooms. Hum always seems to rear it's head and become unbearable at spots. Also the balance with a Tele bridge is always very challenging.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I love P90s but I also think that the stock, classic Tele neck pickup balances really well with the classic Tele bridge pickup and sounds wonderful for jazz. So I would go for that. A SuperTron is also appealing. Don't get me wrong, I love P90s, but I think they tend to sound better in the bridge position. YMMV and all that.

It's interesting to me the gyrations people go through to try and balance various neck pickups with Tele bridge pickups when the stock Tele neck pickup was invented to do exactly that.

Another P-90 esque option that could pair nicely would be a Dynasonic style or T-Armond. Very much like a P90 but just a bit brighter and might balance better in the neck position.

https://tvjones.com/t-armond-bridge-dearmond-mount/

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

oh yeah if you only had one guitar, p90s do good job covering a lot of ground.

how many people who post here only have one guitar?

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Along with a great strat and great traditional tele, i have these two teles. The humbucker one has Seymiur Duncan 59s, the P90 one has Wolfetone Mean/Meaners. They both have some minor wiring "tricks "

I'm selling the orange humbucker one because the P90 one can do just about everything the other can do. Vice versa is NOT the case. 20200518_181033.jpg

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

A friend has a Warmoth parts Tele with a SD mini-hum in the neck hole, and it seemed very versatile to me.
    Bright enough to wail, hotter than a Tele neck, sounded nice and rich turned down or toned down. That’d be my vote. Looks different than stock Tele, which is kind of fun, but still a chrome oblong shape...so not too different.

Ideal for the tonally adventurous but visually conservative among us.

10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm slowly heading in the direction of a P-90 in the neck and a PAF HB in the bridge.

HB in the neck just seem muddy to me, no matter the EQ.

But, in the bridge... they wail. And, your talkin Dicy Betts/Duane Allman territory.

P 90's in the neck offer well defined lows and punchy mids, with just a touch of sparkle on top.

So, your "jazz tone" does not have to sound like Wes, Charlie or anyone.

BE DIFFERENT!

BTW, Reverend Guitars offer the exact set up I described with their Double Agent.

I'll have to play one first but I'm very interested.

IMO.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

For Jazz, I would use a Staple P90 for the neck or maybe a Charlie Christian pickup.
    For a Humbucker type pickup, A LP Deluxe style Minibucker would be nice or the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz model.

12. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i think you are wrong if you talk real paf.
    if i compare my L500 or L90 to a asat MFD from a asat special, the last one has a inbuild character that i can't get rid off and that could happen with a P90 to
    Joe Bonamassa has done some vids like this one that lets you hear that a paf is not what some pickup builders have made it, a mid scoped muddy pickup aiming for some music styles.
    you have to learn to use it

jdto likes this.
  13. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

There are these things called shielding tape and noise gates. P90.

14. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Either would work, depending on choice. I’d go P90 just because....folks shouldn’t worry about hum,in a live situation , anyway.

15. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Me! And it's got P90's...and shielding... :p

16. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have P-Rails in my Les Paul. They are super versatile but don't sound a whole lot like P90s. They were pretty dark, so I wired the tone pots for high pass/low pass, and it works better.

17. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

18. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Gigged my 3x P90 for 100% of the tunes last night... the Lester stayed in its case.

Moving to P90s is a one way street.

20. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I have been practicing a lot of Jazz at home these last months using three guitars - a Vintera 50s Mod Tele with a Twisted neck PU, an Ibanez AS103 semi-hollow with humbuckers, and an EPI '56 LP Goldtop with P90s. Each has its own voice.
    For rhythm, I find the HBs work very well for that traditional darker jazz sound. But I've found that P90s work incredibly well for single notes, in a way they let the note bloom out more. Plus, as previously mentioned, the dynamics are broader compared to HBs,and thus less forgiving. So it all depends on what you want out of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.