1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

p90 or HB?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by schnadz, Aug 6, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

They are both cool, if you want a little bit more treble and upper / mid harmonics and don't mind hum, get a low wind P90. The trick with either one in a tele is to get a lower-output neck pickup and a fairly strong tele bridge pickup, otherwise the whole concept falls apart.

Jake909 and jfgesquire like this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

that depends. i'd rather have the humbucker for heavier music.

3. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

I’d prefer the P-90, but I just prefer single coils, for what it’s worth.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

TV Jones Powertron in the neck. Sometimes you gotta play in a place that has bad 60 cycle hum.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Both would be great!
    For jazz I might slightly lean towards the paf. They are often a bit smoother, more compressed, and 'classier' than a p90 which is rougher, with more treble and bass, and less compressed.

For a tele, also consider a mini-hum or a firebird pickup. I don't have enough direct experience, but a lot of people swear by them for the tele neck position, and it might balance better with the bridge pickup.

MonkeyJefferson and dougstrum like this.
  6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

Bill and Becky Wild L500
    "The L500 was established in 1979 and the patent concluded in 1981. Bill wanted a high performance pickup that could be voiced in many ways. The L500 is used from lapsteel, blues, rock and heavy metal even jazz by a whole range of musicians. You color your sound with all your gear and playing styles."
    https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l500

you can have them in all kind of colours etc and more important Henry versions, together with the series/parallel switch options you can make it very versatile

7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yo mention Julian Lage as an influence. Well, his recent lockdown videos mostly seem to be on a seemingly new to him Nachocaster with a P90 in the neck. Soooo, if it’s good enough for him...

obviously your call, but I’ve sworn off humbuckers and I LOVE P90s. But I don’t play jazz. At best, some lightly jazz-flavored blues.

-Ray

8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I believe a certain number of of noted manufactures (Collins for one choosing Fralin hum canceling P-90's
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/hum-cancelling-p-90-alnico-rods/

9. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

THIS

Fiesta Red and tubegeek like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I love the looks and sounds of a good Les Paul Special (and love Les Paul Juniors even more), but a major problem with Specials (and most guitars that have a P-90 in the neck position) is the placement of that neck pickup. The closer the pickup is mounted to the neck, the sound tends towards a boomy or muddy sound—and not in a “so-good-it’s-bad” way.

I find the same to be true with the placement of a humbucker in the neck position of a Les Paul.

On my main avatar “Big Tex” Telecaster, I remedied this by placing the pickup as closely to the bridge as the (humbucker-sized) neck pickup routing would allow (the guitar had a neck humbucker from the factory)...

F980F155-98E7-4E58-9365-DB4944B22CE4.jpeg

By moving the pickup a couple of centimeters or so closer to the bridge, it brought out some clarity and took away some of the boominess/muddies, without taking away the fatness and punch associated with P-90s...

With my Telecaster, I was able to hide the big leftover gap of the humbucker-sized rout with the pickguard. That’s (unfortunately) not an option on the Les Paul Special, unless you decide to change the looks significantly.

I understand...I have three guitars with humbuckers, and they lend themselves to hard(er)-edged music excursions.

However, I have three-and-a-half guitars with P-90s, and those are the guitars that would be grabbed if the house was on fire...also, with the right combination of pedals, amp settings and playing technique, those P-90-equipped instruments are easily goosed into hard rock or even metal territory.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I no longer have the guitar ( once again, sold/needed $$) but maybe 15 years ago now, a friend of mine gave me his Agile LP copy ( '56 Style Goldtop w/ P-90's) as a very nice Christmas present. ( another story behind this)

It was a heck of a player, beautiful, and I thought since the guitar was free, I decided. to buy ' the best P-90's you can buy'
    So I literally did a coin flip between Lindy Fralins and Jason Lollars, as I had read these were the best ( plus a friend of mine has replaced the original PU in his '57 LP Jr. with a Fralin, and he loved it).
    So, Lollar P-90's won the toss!
    I ordered 2 ( I think normal, lower output wind, there were not the options on this that there are now) and had my local shop put them in.
    Bottom line, they were just amazing in their range and balance between the two.
    They were reverse wound so hum cancelling when both ON.
    And the dynamics on this LP were from squeaky clean almost ' Tele twang' at low guitar Volume knob rotation, then into P-90 space when advanced, then downright PAF quacky when cranked-
    just under all the way up, say 8.5-9 was an amazing tone.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

This seems like it really would be the most flexible option, and it could also be wired/switched to provide yet other options (just split for the rail instead of the P90, or the two coils in parallel, instead of series).

...Since the Tele pickguard will cover the routing for a humbucker, I'd personally start with the P-Rails, and see which wiring/setting I liked the best. If I just used it as a P90, I might think of replacing it with that. If I just used it as a humbucker, I might think of replacing it with that. But being able to switch between the two really seems like that would have some regular-use advantages.

13. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    jazz is in the jazz hands

14. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I love P90's, and I play fingerstyle. They are unique- responsive, soft, woody, all those adjectives that fail to describe sound, but work together to support the idea that there is a "lifelike" quality in a P90. They sound like jazz guitar to me. And Charlie Christians are great, though a bit noisier. But don't overlook the Supertron, as mentioned above, ESPECIALLY if you use your fingers. I don't understand why it's not more wildly popular myself for Jazz. It's perfect to me- and yes, a good PAF, with the tone adjusted down, is a suitcase full of Jazz badassery itself. Jazz is in the hands, indeed!

JohnnyBloo13 and brookdalebill like this.
  15. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

bucker & you won't have the 60 cycle issue .....

16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

TVJones-type Cabronita-type humbucker for the neck

Other Gretsch style single coil neck pickup

Humbucker shaped P-90 for easiest install

Install a 4-way switch so you can put both neck and bridge single coil pickups in series humbucking mode as backup if the gig has 60cycle noise problems.

Make sure to shield cavities and pickguard plus replace the two wires to the jack with shielded cable.

... Have you tried the tone knob thingy with a regular Tele SS setup? I hear that does some jazz.

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I play a lot of jazz backing a vocalist.
    Got a big jazz guitar with p90's great for that '50s bluenote sound.
    Also use my Teles one has a chopper and the other has fast track 1~ in the neck position. Chopper is a bit more percussive like a p90. The fast track 1 is smooth like a paf.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

A Seth Lover in the neck and a Duncan Little 59 in the bridge. (Actually the bridge pickup is irrelevant if you're playing Jazz, but, on the off chance that you might need it at some future point, it should balance very well with the Seth.) IMO P90s are for Rock, not Jazz.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

P90 is nice.
    How about a Charlie Christian pickup?
    I had a Minibucker in the neck of my Thinline. It was nice. Mini's are pretty middy though.
    [​IMG]

20. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I use a bridge pickup very frequently at jazz gigs. Love both a tele broadcaster style , and a PAF-style. You might be surprised how fun it is to have a bit of the bite that horn players get away with!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.