P90 options advice

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ricardo1912, Aug 2, 2021.

1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

During lockdown I bought one of the FSR Bullet Teles, which is surprisingly nice,. The only weak points for me are the pickups, which are ok but nothing special I'm not complaining as for the price it's s bargain guitar.

Ive bought a Wilkinson broadcaster type pickup for the bridge and have a Tonerider Mean 90, which is humbucker size, coming for the neck.

Given the pickup mix, would swapping the selector over to four way give any worthwhile benefits?

Secondly, might it be worth going a bit left field and putting in a blender switch instead? I'm asking as I really like p90s and played a Cort Sunset recently with a similar pickup mix and really liked it.

All ideas gratefully received. Thanks

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My advice , NO!
    Friend and fellow guitar player in my band started a P 90 support group. If one of thinks about buying or trying P 90’s in any guitar currently owned, building or modding, or buying , we call the other to talk us down. P 90s don’t play well with our gear without resetting all the gain , volume and tone settings. They are also notorious hum magnets attracting unwanted noise.

There , now you’ve done it, I’m thinking what if I brought a separate rig for my LP Special to gigs……
    Nope, gotta call horsemen303 now…….
    My name is Steve and I’ve been P90 free for 6 months……..

JL_LI and ricardo1912 like this.
  3. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

Sadly Steve I think I'm too far down that slippery p90 slope now. Altho I think Teles are the best, I bought a LPJ copy with single p90 and love it. It can hum more than a jar of angry hornets but does sound good.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

all my 2xP90 teles are quiet as a mouse..... I don't buy the p90's are noisy trip...:rolleyes:

I use RWRP soap bars from WarmanUK guitars.... check them out ;)

nojazzhere and bgmacaw like this.
  5. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

A quick question (sorry for the interjection to the OP)....do you shield the cavities etc on your P90 teles?

trev333 likes this.
  6. trev333

no, no shielding.....

I can park my guitars on the stand 2 feet from a twin, volume up, under a flouro, fridge, TV , computer running.. and forget the thing is even on....;)

clean power, well grounded house, I guess....

played them in school auditoriums and at street fairs...same... quiet....:)

7. trev333

OK, here's a sound file I made for a noise/hiss test..... all the down gaps in the music and the end bit the Volume is never turned down from full and it's sitting on the stand as in the pic as the file winds down.......turn it up as loud as you want... there's no editing either...straight into audacity..

P90 test.jpg

zippofan, Kiwi_Neil and tomasz like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Shielding is easy to add. When doing other mods just add it.

Also, make sure to use shielded cable to the jack. twisting single wires does no good, you use shielded cable from the guitar to the amp, that first half a foot is just as important. I've found half a guitar's noise can be the two wires to the jack.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

P90s aren't any noisier than any other single coil pickup.

They do sound great, though, and they're probably the most versatile pickup out there. Everybody knows they can snarl like hell with the volume full up, but a lot of folks never seem to discover that they sound wonderful clean with the volume backed off a hair. The best description I've ever read of P90s was, "they're like the girl that cleans up nice and you can bring home to meet your folks, but she's at her best when things get a little dirty".

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think a 4-way would be that beneficial with a single coil bridge and humbucker or P90 neck. While I like it with a SS Tele, I think most of the time with a SH or SP90 setup, you probably won't be using both together as often.

Getting the grounding right when wiring is essential. I've put P90's in a number of guitars and they will tell you if you didn't ground them well. As you can see below, I like them in a metal casing of some type.

p90guitars.png

robinn, zippofan and ricardo1912 like this.
  11. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Thank you :)

12. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Sounds a lot like my wife

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have to agree with @beyer160 .....I bought my first P-90 guitar, a 1960 Les Paul Jr in 1969, and a few years ago a PRS SE One, single P-90 also, and have NO issues with noise. The ONLY time I ever experience any "hum" issues is if a club or venue has neon running on the same circuit as our amps. Neon, especially if it uses an electronic transformer, is notorious for causing hum. BTW....some neon will interfere with devices like TV remotes. How do I know? I was a neon glassblower for twenty years, and once installed a neon sculpture in my living room. My TV remote stopped working, although, at other times it worked ok. Didn't take long to realize it was when the neon was ON that the remote didn't function. Not all neon affects it. I have had a sculpture burning continuously for over twenty-five years, with zero problem. It is "clear blue", (which is clear glass, pumped with Argon and Mercury) and purple. (pumped with Argon and NO Mercury, to decrease brightness) The offending piece, years ago, was Neo Ruby glass. (pumped with Neon and no Mercury) Incidentally, if you inject Mercury into any unit, whether Neon or Argon, it will eventually turn blue.
    That's my Neon lesson for the day. ;)

14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I like the Dream 90 in my Esquire-Squier one bridge pickup thing. 1 meg volume pot.

zippofan and mazzclown like this.
  15. mazzclown

mazzclown TDPRI Member

I did the 4 way mod on the stock 3 way switch. The middle position is now the bridge and neck wired as a humbucker with 1 and 3 being the bridge and neck. I used Homeland pickups in a couple Tele builds and they're amazing! Their Tele bridge pickup kicked the crap out of a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pickup. The Duncan is out of my Tele and in the Marauder build. (pictured center) I got a set of the cheap Homeland chrome soapbar P-90s and put them in a 58 flying V build. They're not subtle, they distort my 5E3 Deluxe at any volume when normally she doesn't start until 3 or 4. The knobs really matter with them! I've had zero problems with noise and I'm set up in my garage with fluorescent lights, tool charges plugged into the same circuit, a Bluetooth radio playing and from $40 pickups with plastic chrome covers! I didn't wax pot them or anything. I don't even remember ordering them and I had no plans to put them in my V but I'm happy I did. It's a different guitar now! It's happy place is somewhere between Sabbath and T. Rex. I'm sorry to sound like a commercial but the 3 sets I got from them were the P-90s and 2 Tele sets that had pickups, bridge and the Tele controls for around $60 and they're my top choice for Tele builds hands down.

Attached Files:

16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

What would the 4 way do for you ... add a series option for both p/us together?

17. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Near the beginning of COVID lockdown I decided I needed a project. Having never done a build, I decided it was time. I bought the Stew-Mac 335 kit and built me a 335/330. I put Tonerider Rebel 90s (HB sized P-90s) in it, and they're fantastic!
    [​IMG]

zippofan, Old Deaf Roadie and JL_LI like this.
  18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

A 4-way adds an extra sound without negatively impacting the existing sounds, so I say give it a go! There's no guarantee, however, that you'll actually like the new sound, I can imagine that it might be a bit boomy.

19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a P90 in my Ess-Kwire build. There is no difference in noise compared with traditional Fender single coils, or any model humbucker, in my particular instance and I'm using a less-than-$40 pup!.

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got my 1st soundco job because I was able to eliminate neon noise in a sound system while unwittingly being observed by the owner of said soundco. He bought me a beer, asked me to come to his shop to chat the following Monday. Tuesday we loaded the truck, Wednesday was the 1st day of the rest of that summer on the road!

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.