P90 neck + Tele Bridge Pickup Suggestions

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dismalhead, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

So I got this crazy idea that I wanted to do a Pine-body partscaster with a P90 neck and a Tele-sized bridge. Right now I'm looking at a SD Antiquity P90 neck (DC resistance 7) and a DiMarzio Area Hot T bridge (DC resistance 9) to give me a heavier than single-coil but less-than-PAF tone. Anyone got any other recommendations for pickups?

double_a likes this.
  2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I would recommend SD Antiquity bridge pickup. I have many teles with Antiquity in the bridge and they sound fabulous. My go to tele builds either have a P90 in the neck or middle position. My last tele build has a SD vintage mini humbucker in the neck, SD vintage P90 in the middle and a SD Five-Two tele bridge pickup. My teles sound excellent.

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have been lately contemplating a Strat neck, P90 middle, and Tele bridge with indeterminate switching plans yet.

I got some import P90s off ebay that worked out great for $15 or so for the pair. So don't be too averse to trying several types at different budgets. You can always make up a second guitar for bash-around-gigs later with the cast offs -- and sometimes those are more fun than the fancy guitar you made.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. I bought a $10 P90 off eBay for the neck position of my telecaster and it worked beautifully. Just be mindful when choosing a bridge pick up because P90s are hotter than your standard Telecaster bridge pickup. Switching between the two would give you quite a difference in volume, which may or may not be what you want.

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Contact Rob at Cavalier pick ups and he will custom wind the bridge pickup to suit your individual tastes.
    He makes several models for Tele bridge pickups.
    But he will try and accommodate your ideas, very reasonable pricing as well.
    Good luck,

Zepfan, El Tele Lobo and lineboat like this.
  6. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I put a Cavalier Huge Lion in my Tele. Perfect match for a P90. The Fat Lion works great too, but the Huge has some extra punch that puts it right there with a P90. You gotta check it out!

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

OK, after researching a bunch of P90s and Tele bridge pickup options and watching some videos, my current top choices are a Tonerider Vintage P90 neck with a Cavalier Huge Lion bridge. Any thoughts on that combo?

Also, Rose makes a Tele bridge to pair with a P90 called the T90. Anyone have any experience with that?

El Tele Lobo and lineboat like this.
  8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

The T90 is a good pickup, but it's no Huge Lion imo.

El Tele Lobo and Dismalhead like this.
  9. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Tele bridge - soapbar neck (or hb-sized P-90) is my most favorite pickup combo. I'm sure you won't regret it. For bridge position, I recommend Hot for Tele. It fits your description (Fat Lion is a solid suggestion too, or any broadcasterish bridge pickup). I've installed it with Vintage P-90 in the neck. You can't go wrong with lower wind Antiquity P-90. Actually there's a YouTube video of a guy demoing a tele with Antiquity Tele and Antiquity P-90. Sounds excellent.

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

My tone rider p90 is matched with a Seymour Duncan vintage stack in the bridge and the blend is good enough that I use the middle position quite a bit. Pretty high output for those stacks. The standard single coils I tried seemed to be overwhelmed by the p90. I really like this setup now.

11. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

I built a pine Telemaster a few months ago and used a small winders low wind P-90 and an A3 broadcaster bridge pickup. Both pickups sounded fine individually but the bridge was far weaker in output than the neck. So after screwing around for a while with it, I had Rob wind me a Huge Lion with a super light potting. The Huge Lion is the perfect fit. I was worried that it would be too dark but it sounds like a tele pickup with more volume. Great deal.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I have a pine partscaster with Lollar's standard P90 in the neck and a Lollar Vintage T in the bridge. The Vintage T is slightly underpowered compared with the neck, but it's not a big enough difference to be a deal breaker for me. I live with it and just adjust my vol control when I need to. I did try a higher output Special T but went back to the Vintage T because the Tele twang was important to me. I could maybe try a lower wind P90 but the one I have sounds perfect for my taste. Great pickup for old school blues and jump jazz. Mid position sounds lovely too.

Matching levels is usually the issue. You've just got to decide which pickup you want the classic sound from and which one you are willing to compromise on. If you want a classic Tele twang then go for an underwound P90. If you want a full bodied traditional P90 sound, go for an overwound Tele pickup.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My $.02: DiMarzio Area Hot T. Very quiet, loud enough to keep up with most any neck pup you choose, and they spit harmonics like the Rev. BFG. Still sounds like a Tele, too.

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Consider John Benson's hand wound pickups. He also sells on eBay in addition to his site. He makes a special Tele set like you want and everything is hand wound after you order so he'll tweak it however you like.
    http://www.bensoncustom.com/tele-c1ski
    I picked up the Benson pickups in this one kind of piecemeal off eBay for a total of about $60 bucks back when he was less known but they pair beautifully.
    IMG_2761.JPG

Good luck - you're tracking on a great combo with the Tele Bridge and P90 neck.
    Re

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    RYAN1987M, Fiesta Red and RoyBGood like this.
  15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I’ve really come to love p90s, but I like them underwound. I have a Lollar “50s wind” p90 that I really like, but my favorite is a ten dollar p90, wound to 6000k, that I got on eBay. The underwound p90s have less volume and a more open sound, without losing the fat thing p90s have.

As always it depends on the guitar. But my main guitar has that eBay ten dollar p90 in it, and recently I swapped out the bridge pickup and put a barden bridge pickup in, WOW! I’d had that pickup for well over a decade a;d it has been in various guitars. I’d always thought it was really good but never loved it. It’s a really nice pickup in this particular guitar and pairs really reall6 well with the p90

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Which Barden? Gatton or Modern?

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Mighty Mite P-90's are great. And cheap.

18. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

DBudz.
    He does it right.
    (Not to imply that others don't...)))

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

It’s an old pickup—barden only had one style back then. So I guess it’s a “gatton”

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

I got the itch for a P90 in a tele too. Well, actually I was going to get a Humbucker but have also been interested in the Railhammer pickups so I grabbed a Railhammer tel90 (not in production anymore but there was one at a shop nearby). Haven't installed it yet, but I'll let you know. Going into a vintage blond classic vibe.

There are sound clips but for bridge pickup only.
    http://www.railhammer.com/Tel_90_bridge.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.