P90 Gold Top Goodness

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gibson, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

There's a "pre-loved" Epi LP standard gold top with P90s at a nearby store that I'm planning to check out later today—I'm guessing it's most likely a fairly recent MIC?

Is there anything I should look out for with these models? Any known issues with MIC versus earlier versions?

I know Teles pretty well, but this is the first time I've seriously considered a set-neck guitar. Educate me, if you will, before I part with any money!

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The mic 56 goldtops have been around for many years, I got a black one in around 2011-12 that's mic.
    I'd check it out like you were looking at an acoustic as in neck angle and how low you can set string height. Check for signs of cracking around the nut. They are just epi les pauls fitted with p90's. I think they are veneered beneath the finish because I can faintly see a flame top beneath the black finish on mine in certain light. The black 56 goldtop and the gold one are the same apart from color.

I got mine condition 2 from musicians friend for $220 delivered overseas. It's a great player. Was stamped with 2nd on rear of headstock although I have no idea why. It arrived looking new and flawless other than the stamp. They can be a little on the heavy side.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Gibson likes this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

There is a flaw somewhere on the guitar to stamp it a 2nd. I had an SG with the same. I never did find a flaw.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I am a tele guy, through and through,

but recently I am drawn to the goldtop with cream P90 as well! I never liked Les Pauls in general, because they're just heavy and I could never work it out why it sounds so dark, given Ive only tried Epiphones.. but the GAS is really strong and I really want one!

5. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

I hear you. I'm going to visit this one in the afternoon, see how it looks close up.

6. dreamingtele

Please let us know how it is.. Im more concerned on build quality as hardware can be replaced.. I just hope this have real mahogany..

7. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

There's like 6 or 7 Goldtops at the NYC Sam Ash, with different pickup configurations and running from somewhat affordable to idiotic. I played a bunch of them. Some were surprisingly nice, as I'm usually not in love w the way LP's play. Forced myself to leave the store. May go back.

8. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I have an Epi 56 goldtop (proper gold). I got it used. It is a great guitar. Tuners on mine are fine. The P-90s sound great. It was inexpensive and it is one of my favorite guitars. It did take a little setup.

The input jack on mine got loose, but it didn't have a proper washer. The neck is great.

It's got nothing on the original, but it's gold and fun and rocks.

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I think the OP will be pleasantly surprised by the build quality. They aren't always set up properly, they have sometimes been mis-used…..but the potential is (almost) always there.

:)

10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I have a PRS McCarty Gold Top Double with Harmonic Design VP 90+ Soap Bars. I used it to record with a 1980 Blackface Deluxe Reverb in the studio. I got a great rhythm sound. The leads were crisp and clear with the tiniest bit if breakup reminiscent of my long gone ‘59 LP TV Special I used in the 90s.

11. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

That's what I'm hoping . . . !

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Apart from my epi 56 goltop in black I have a epi standard plus top from a similar year. The 56 is a nicer playing guitar despite them basically being the same other than color and pickups. They are pretty consistent and good value for what they cost.

I also have a plekd Gibson les paul traditional and that required a similar amount of setup work when I got that and has been less stable with weather changes.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  13. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

My 15 yr old one, Korean made. I love it. P90’s, yummy...

2DBED73D-BF19-4484-AA54-4768864B66AE.jpeg

Dismalhead and Gibson like this.
  14. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

I've picked them up and plugged them in plenty of times. They are consistently good sounding acoustically. The pickups are usually nice, but not so nice that I wouldn't want to replace them. The nut is rarely cut well, and the action high. This is to "hide" sloppy fretwork. Well, not "sloppy." Just unfinished. Lots of cheap guitars need a fret level and recrown, a truss rod adjustment, and some lowering/replacing of the nut to play really well. Sometimes, you get lucky and don't have to go through that. But I've lowered the action on plenty of those guitars with an adjustment at the bridge or of the truss rod, only to get fret buzz. Keep in mind that this is true of lots of American made instruments at higher prices. And, to be honest, true of every guitar, sooner or later, as you wear out frets.

Gibson likes this.
  15. dreamingtele

If I do come across one of these Korean made ones, I'll jump on it! beautiful guitar!

rad1 likes this.
  16. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Pickguard?
    [​IMG]

Or no?
    [​IMG]

Either way, I win.

rad1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.