1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P90 fans - have you found anything else as good?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Yonatan, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

I love the P90's in my Squier Tele custom II and my Epiphone Popa chubby Flying V
    But the Peavey super Ferrite pickups in my old short scale Peavey T15 are great too: something between tele and P90.

I also like old Höfner single coils.

2. guitargeek

guitargeek TDPRI Member

I've spent years chasing that P-90 tone. Oddly, my favorites are the Duncan Design in the squire telecaster deluxe.

I have been curious about mini-humbuckers lately. I think a little fatter than P-90. Neil Young got a lot of mileage out of minis. I also like my Texas Special in my tele.

Neither are P-90s but both fat and fun.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  3. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

I love p90s
    Close behind would be filtertrons - I have owned gretsch hs filtertrons, tv jones classics and McNelly sparkletrons(my personal favourite).
    Vintage style Firebird pickups are also a favourite.
    Old Supro pickups - somewhere between a fat, gnarly Strat and a p90

Nathan 16E74B18-4B3D-4207-954C-F5FFA4A08734.jpeg

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. kjatexas

kjatexas TDPRI Member

Gibson Les Paul, with stock P90s. Sounds mighty fine.

GoldTopP90s.jpg

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I like all kinds of pickups, it's not really about "as good" or "better" - a good strat neck pickup, a good tele bridge pickup, and a not-too-hot mini humbucker all have their charms, but I do love P90s.

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm a firm believer in finding the right pickups for each guitar I own.

I seldom ever set out to build something with a very specific pickup in mind. I like to build and then decide what sounds best through trial and error. Many times I'm surprised by my final choice.

I'll install a set of pickups. Listen to them in the guitar and decide if they are indeed the right voice for that particular guitar. If not. I change them.

There are guitars I've built that just didn't sound good no matter what I pickups I used. I don't own them any more.

ndcaster and driver8 like this.
  7. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

I've never owned a P90 equipped guitar but it seems every time a guitar sound grabs my ear a closer look reveals a pair of P90's. I'm sorely tempted to build a chambered mahogany tele with a pair of P90's but I really don't *need* another. Besides, I'm not sure the difference between them and the JBE Danny Gatton pickups I already have would be all that dramatic.

8. cofer22

cofer22 TDPRI Member

I just got some CS SD Pearly Gates which are the best Hummers I’ve ever played. Almost P90 sounding. To my ears at least.

I put them a Baker Jr. I was trying to sell. Now I’m keeping the guitar. It sounds that good.

9. Steve Lan

Steve Lan TDPRI Member

Plus 1 on that. 2000 LP Special. Originally had P-100’s and I installed a set of 1980’s Gibson P-90’s. Improved the tone. Seems to have more grit and bite than the original P-100's. 30043C37-3E6A-43B1-832C-A43997B206CE.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    GearHund, PixMix and northernguitar like this.
  10. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

I love P90s, but I also like tele bridge pickups, strat neck pickups, jazzmaster pickups, and the complexity of humbuckers. Hence multiple guitars, something non-guitar players never seem to grasp for some reason.

11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

P.S. Hum-cancelling P90s=/=P90s.

Broadmoor74 and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. ALNICOJOE

ALNICOJOE TDPRI Member

I have a Les Paul that I bought new as a teenager in 1972. It's been through many changes. It started out with P90's then a series of Humbuckers...yes I had the top routed when I was young and dumb. A while back I tried to put the guitar back as close to stock as I could get it. I settled on Harmonic Design Z90's They'er not your typical P90 in a humbucking route that's not what he was going after. They have their own thing going on. To my ear and I know it's subjective they, They just sound Huge without the P90 mid range hump. Lots of sparkle but not too much both pickups sound great on their own and the middle position has lots of spank almost like a tele with both pups on. Anyway it may not fit your route but maybe on the next build.
    https://harmonicdesign.net/allpages/gibsons.html

You've got to show us the finished build.

13. bribas

bribas NEW MEMBER! Platinum Supporter

I dropped a Dimarzio virtual P90 in an Epiphone ES-5 in the neck position. Great sound, and without the nasty buzz and hum of regular P90's.

14. jms2009

jms2009 Tele-Meister

I have lots of p90s and love them. I have p90s from Lollar, Fralin, and Zhangbucker. Zhangbucker is by far the best sounding of the bunch. The Zhangbucker is in my tv yellow LP Jr DC and has the most rocking spanky raw tone of all my guitars (compared to my Les Pauls, strats, Teles, & Prs). I can't stop playing that guitar.

15. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

I enjoy the Fralin P90 he cloned from Eddie Cochran's 6120 ... I have 4 of 'em in different guitars

16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Shot answer .... NO

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah for me the goals are similar, I want more cut and sparkle/ brilliance/ clarity/ piano bass etc than full size HBs deliver.

Lots of ways to skin that cat including Tele bridge pickups and as mentioned Firebird pickusp aslong as they are legit and not one of the horrors in tiny dresses.

I've also found modern Jazzmaster pickups get close to P-90 and lose some disadvantages like narrow string spacing in bridge position on Fender, plus a less nice wound string sound than I hear from alnico rod poles compared to steel screws or slugs.

Looking into Gretsch tron family but no report as yet.
    Just tore down a Tele shaped object to replace the F bird with a TVJ magna' tron.

Yonatan likes this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I had a 330 with P90s in the early 70s and nothing until last June when I got my Harley Benton DC LP Jr with its Roswell P90.

I am having a lot of fun with the guitar. I've played it at gigs and at home a lot. The tone control works well. Fun fun fun!

19. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I have Seymour Duncan QP in the bridge and this great sounding neck pickup I got from my indian made Sunn Mustang strat which has beautiful sounding pickups better than many USA strats I have tried. BUT i would love to hear a P90 in the neck position but dont want to start carving up the wood on my CS Tele.
    20210107_085850.jpg

GearHund and czech-one-2 like this.
  20. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

BIG fan of those single blade Super Ferrite single coils! Possibly my all-time favorite pickups!

Jef likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.