1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P90 fans - have you found anything else as good?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Yonatan, Mar 7, 2021.

1. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

They're all good in their own ways.

Its hard to go past the P90s in my 60s ES330, but I love humbuckers in the LP/335, and the 50s tele pickups are perfect for the tele.

For me, like the guitars themselves, I want each pickup set to have an original voice...
    and as I say, they're all good!

Yes, I am a massive P90 fan!

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope to set up a cheap Strat with a set of cheap S90 pickups from Guitar Madness. Now to find a cheap Strat... Perhaps a Squier Bullet Strat. I had good luck with a Bullet Tele.

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah the stacked singles that skew warmer are a cool sound for sure. i'm not a purist about that stuff at all, i have the area T's in my tele right now and i actually really liked the hot noiseless strat pickups from fender a bit too. but i would add that you have to have some caution with a lot of the stacked p90s, they can be very dull, i don't think a lot of the ones that are out there compensate enough for how hot and warm a regular SC p90 is by itself. at that point i think it makes more sense to either go for a "fake" SC or a mag pole piece HB like a firebird or WRHB.

4. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I run a p90 in my LP neck position with a JB in the bridge. I can go from queen to mean and back again and it's so much fun playing with those tools.

rand z likes this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a P90 in a 25.5" scale length guitar

meh

than I played one in a 24.75" guitar

yessss

6. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

bgmacaw mentioned another longtime favorite of mine, the Duncan Quarter Pounds. They have power and fatness with less midrange bark than a P90, On the plus side they have a distinctly Fendery attack when you dig in and pick hard. They also clean up quite nicely when you roll back the volume knob. I've been a fan of these for forty years; have 'em in bridge position on two Strats and a set in one of my Teles.

I consider the S90/SP90 types to be in a fairly similar category, though the ones I've got (Vintage Vibe SP90 set) seem to have a tad more grunt & bark than the QPs with a slightly rounder attack - a little less singlecoily chime and feel. Likely that's because they don't the tightly focused magnetic field of rod mags. But they do have good bite and clean up well, too.

DeepDangler likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

P90 bridge pickups and Tele bridge pickups are my favorites so there is always conflict when looking at a new guitar/build.

Neck pickups I prefer many styles except P90s; Strat, JM, gold foil and more. I tend to neuter neck humbuckers to get them more split coil/lowered with high screw poles, often much too muddy.

Look up Glarry. Strat-Like-Object for $75 including shipping off Amazon. Many many good reviews on youtube.
    Squiers tend to have overly skinny necks, I believe Glarry does like most SLOs and more closely copies MIM/MIA necks.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for the tip!

9. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I use mostly p90s and guild LB1s.

10. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Good thing it doesn't ship to me :)

11. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

About a year ago I got a Gibson SG 50s Tribute with the P-90s. They are absolutely killer. I play hard rock and they are perfect for what I play. They dirty up so nicely, yet never have that muddiness that humbuckers are prone to. And yes, they can be noisy but I’ve just learned to deal with it.

TeleUpNorth and northernguitar like this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I find that once the band kicks in, there's no hum!

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

459489EC-F507-4CCA-A586-62FE9B40B6B7.jpeg 9695C635-D331-41AC-AB24-70102AC16654.jpeg

Yeah, you might say that I have a thing for P-90’s...in fact, even my Stratocaster has a set of boutique Strat-sized P-90’s in it...
    B5FC20DF-B9F5-467A-8E62-4335264CA6C1.jpeg

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

didn't you convert a cheap mini humbucker into a semi firebird?
    maybe Yonatan could try that route that would not be so expensive to try it out.
    those chinees minihumbuckers with free shipping and some magnets would do the trick?

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

If humbuckers didn't exist, I'd use P90s. If neither humbuckers or P90s existed, I'd stick with acoustic. :D

DrBGood likes this.
  16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I built quite a few guitars w/ p90 (custom made for me David Budz) in the neck position. I recently built this guitar w/ a true Firebird pickup (Budz of course) and was quite taken with it. Completely different voice from a p90, but a wonderful sound. Big, open and clean.

[​IMG]

RiversQC, northernguitar and Jake909 like this.
  17. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

The pickup on the Epiphone Firebird I (Bonamassa model) I had was fantastic.
    I miss that guitar...

Zepfan likes this.
  18. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like P90's but I sure do miss the Fender CS Texas Specials that were in an American Special Telecaster I had for a few years.

19. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The GFS Soapbar 180 works really well in my Prestige NYS Standard, much better for this guitar than the Duncan P90s that came in it. They don't exactly mimic a real P90 but have a nice upper midrange push that's similar enough in character, and they split very nicely. I find they're more even than a typical P90.

Caveat: Big P90 fan but I tend to like cheap ones as well or better than "correct" ones. Have owned real Duncans and Gibsons in Gibson guitars and thought they were merely okay.

[​IMG]

20. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I think my P90s guitars sound great. But I'm hankering to try a Charlie Christian neck pickup in something.

Drew617 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.