P90 Esquire?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Jul 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an acquaintance who wondered out loud what would be involved with switching out the Esquire pickup with a P90. Forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but I did bother to search the forums first. There seems to be next to nothing online about this, but I likely am just not looking in the right place. I simply do not know where to begin to answer as this is not my area of special interest, but now my curiosity is piqued.

So, I defer to my friends on TDPRI. Has anyone swapped an Esquire pup for a P90? What did you change? What did you keep? What absolutely doesn't work?

Cheers!

funkysoul likes this.
  2. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

i swapped a p90 for a s.c but hot enough.i think 9,5k. so there is no big deference and i like it better at clean chanel.

3. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

IMG_0685.JPG

BB, theprofessor and tubegeek like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I ran across this video of one that somebody built...

The problem with an existing guitar is that you would have to rout for the P90, fill in and refinish unless you want the "I intentionally tore up my guitar" look. Maybe a custom cut pickguard would work too.

5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I really like the ergonomics of a tele, and I wanted to make one that would sound like my junior - or close.

So it’s not really a P90, but Cavalier’s Humungous Lion strikes a really nice middle ground between a very hot tele bridge and a P90.

198AAE64-7E7E-4AF8-8A2F-ACAFA4BF079E.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.