P vs P/J bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by oceanblue, Oct 29, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The new MIM Players series P Bass has a modern C profile, thinner at the nut and not like the thick, wide neck on the traditional P Bass. IMO, it is a very comfy neck profile. I don't like big necks on any instrument. I have small hands and I have no issue with my Players series.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    erratick and Bassman8 like this.
  2. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hmm, I'll have to check out a Player P if the neck has been trimmed. I was always a P Bass with a Jazz neck guy.

erratick and Matt G like this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have both styles. The P sound is classic and always solid. I like the older Jazz neck.

If you could get one that feels rights and has the P and J combination I’d not miss out on the extra tone options.

erratick and Matt G like this.
  4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

That's what's so great . The "both" option usually gets you a J neck.

erratick and Bassman8 like this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Check the neck. The P/J options typically have the "J" neck (slightly slimmer and not as wide at the nut). P Bass necks are wider at the nut and a little more thick.

As far as the sound, the P/J will sound like a P Bass with the J pup turned off. But they do give you some variations to play with. I always though look at them as two different animals and don't care for the blending of the two animals.

erratick likes this.
  6. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I love a P/J (profile pic bass). But I find P/J to be something you have to get used to or tune.

There isn't much difference in terms of playability- I find that comes from the neck. And I do prefer the narrower J neck for ease of playing. But neither here nor there.

Just in terms of pickups the P design with the two pickups is probably the best. It humbucks. It gives you volume and tone. Quality pickups and it gets no hum. It sits in band mixes or sessions well- even crowded with tons of instruments. It's simple, and easy to get a great sound.

J pickups- doesn't humbuck unless both are at the same volume or you get some humbucking J pickups (or noiseless). Those noiseless or humbucking ones usually have some compromise unless you go high end. There are a million ways to wire them up. However- you can get some tones you can't get out of a P ( like the Jaco sound, and some growl and slap sounds that are close on a P but not quite). To generalize- to me it is a little harder to get a sound in a band- but a J bass is amazing as a solo instrument or in a 3 or 4 piece where you need to take up space.

P/J- kind of an in between. These need a different wiring scheme than P or J. And matching the pickups can be tricky- a single J has a lot less output than a P. But you can get a master volume and a master tone like a P and a blend or toggle or other things to get you a good P sound and a blended sound and a just the back J sound. With a compressor the volume differences are not really noticeable. You can dial in a good sound and leave it (Fender went a bit towards this with the Mustang basses I feel like). There is a little more fudging to get a sound I think- but you can get some of the P sit in the mix fun and some of the J growly full/solo sound. Pickup quality and wiring scheme can totally change the sounds.

So for most people (starting on bass or experimenting with the low side)- I'd recommend- get a P bass first. Least trouble, easy to get a great sound. But if you already are into music and think bass might be your thing try P, J, and PJ and two humbuckers and figure out what is your "bass voice" or bass sound. Also sometimes that voice changes.

dswo and Bassman8 like this.
  7. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

This is probably my favorite config now. P bass pickup with that slim 1.5" J neck.

Bassman8 likes this.
  8. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My P bass is a G&L SB-2 and my Jazz bass is a G&L SB-2.

erratick likes this.
  9. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Another guitarist here who plays bass. I have found that I prefer short scale basses. You
    may or may not. I had a mustang PJ, and just recently sold it to pay a JMJ-sig Mustang.

Went from this:
    PJ Stang.jpg

To this:

59539643715--7B5F3077-F995-4043-93F5-F1A04F25C8AD.JPG

Couldn't be happier.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  10. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I love my JMJ Mustang Bass too. Here's a pic of mine with another one of my short scale basses, a Hofner Ignition Club bass.

JMJ and Hofner.JPG

Cadfael likes this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You really can't go wrong with it. I liked mine a lot!

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What about this?

[​IMG]

jvin248 likes this.
  13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

P. The alpha and omega. The almighty. Beginning and end. Simple and easy to dial in. Accept no substitute.

With flats the classic sound. With Roto RS66 steel round wounds will growl.

Bassman8 likes this.
  14. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like the two P style pups on the G&L. For a time I had a Fender Blacktop "Jazz Bass" which had two sets of P bass pickups, still the punchiest Bass I've ever owned.

15. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

When I was on my bass quest several years ago, I found that I loved the punch of a precision, but much preferred the fast, easy-playing neck on the jazz bass. It just so happened, I bought mine during the brief window of time when Fender has "S-1" switches on new American jazz basses -- it engages both pickups, cancels hum and offers a much punchier (precision-like) tone.

Bassman8 and oceanblue like this.
  16. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I'd go for a P bass. To me, it just sounds right, especially with a band. It punches through and sounds a lot bigger than my J bass. I've never played a P/J but from what I've heard, the P pickup will dominate the sound.

17. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

For my first bass without any knowledge of how I could make it sound the thinner necks felt better and I felt the P/J gave me more options as I developed. It's wiring demanded you either play the bridge J or the neck P there really wasn't a blend option. When I finally got a second bass, an active with dual soapbars that first bass had been switched to flat wound strings and normally played on the P pick up but I did switch off occasionally for some songs.

18. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

I've been a bassist far longer than I've played guitar and I've always had a love/hate relationship with the P/J. Personally, I don't think single-coils and humbuckers work particularly well together (the split P pickup is essentially a humbucker of a sort). To me, the effect is subtractive, not additive. It's easy to assume that a P/J would give you the best of both worlds, but in my opinion, it gives you the worst of both, and they're not noise cancelling when both are engaged. Every time I play a P/J I eventually end up rolling the J pickup all the way off... and I'm a Jazz bass fan.

However, a P/J with a split coil J pickup works much better. I would recommend the EMG GZR (Geezer) P/J set. I've got a '57 RI P-Bass with the GZR P pickup in it, and sometimes I think about building a P/J just so I can drop the full set in there.

erratick and oceanblue like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.