P rails wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by chiefline, Dec 25, 2017.

1. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Put a p rails in my Esquire build and need some help with the wiring. Just have tone and volume push pull pots. No 3 way switch. Would like with both pots down straight humbucker. With volume pot up i want the rail coil of the pickup only. With just the tone pot up i want the P90 coil only and with both pots pulled up i would like the coils in series. Hopefully someone in this forum can help out. Ok merry Christmas and thanks for any help

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I think the best you'll be able to do is coil switching on one pot and series/ parallel on another. You'd need at least one more switch of some kind to get an additional option.

I can't think of a way to get push-pull pots to select between more than two specific configurations. I'm certainly not the best wiring guy on the forum though, so hopefully there's something I'm missing.

3. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

926410BC-CB2C-4D24-8B85-E620ED7BDB5D.jpeg Hey thanks. I went online and found this diagram. Tried it out but no success. I will check all my wiring tomorrow kind of late now...

4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An Esquire with P Rails, I've been waiting for someone to do that. Once you get the wiring worked out and have had some time with it, I'd love to hear how you like it.
    Also, a picture would be nice. :)

5. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

AEEEE70C-4BFE-46C7-8E28-0D2484FB73B8.jpeg
    Can’t wait to hear it! Lol

Minimalist518 and TigerG like this.
  6. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

CF329CD9-04F6-4BFF-A22B-EF2715A2AB8A.png Ok found the correct schematic and it works perfectly. Had to rout the control cavity to fit the push pull pots but no big deal. Now have an esquire with single coil, P90, humbucker in parallel, and humbucker in series. Nice

7. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My Hello Kitty Strat now has a P-Rail humbucker, with a 3-way switch and a single push-pull volume for parallel. Great pickup.

8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Do you have, or can you make a diagram for this? I would like to make an esquire with a single p-rail and a 3 way switch to switch between the rail, the 90, and humbucker. Thank you!

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an Avril tele which I've been considering swapping out a P-Rails into
    [​IMG]

10. Han Valen

Han Valen TDPRI Member

Tried this pickup on tele.Didn't work for me.With 250k vol.pot the HB mode sounds muddy and doesn't clear well. 500k pot makes the rail and the neck PU sound bad.
    Ended with 250k and two options only-P90 or Rail

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here are two P-Rail Esquire diagrams.

First is a three-way blade switch, with full PRail, P90, and Rail. Second is a four-way switch, adding both coils in parallel.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 01.03.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 01.03.59 AM.png

12. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

On the second diagram using the 4 way, would anybody be willing to redraw it using half of a 5 way superswitch? That way I could try to add a middle and bridge pickup using my own setup?

13. moosie

Maybe. But first, why don't you tell us what you'd like to end up with. Always nice to see the big picture.

14. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

With this 4 way a lot is already here. But, here is the difference. I have a 5 way superswitch and an S-1 switch. My Prail is oriented Rail to the neck and the magnets were changed by SD so it will work with a Nashville setup (single middle and bridge) with reversed control plate SSH.

S-1 UP
    First: 5. Neck coils in Parallel
    4. Neck coils in Series
    3. Rail and Bridge in Parallel
    2. P90
    1. Bridge

Very similar to above. Now to add S-1 Down and explain (3).!!!

S-1 DOWN
    5. Neck coils Parallel (Out of Phase)
    4. Rail and Middle in Parallel
    3. Middle and Bridge in Parallel
    2. P90 and Bridge in Parallel
    1. Rail and Bridge in Series

Second: Where I have position 3 (S-1 Up and Down) underlined, I want to use a
    DPDT mini toggle to get Rail and Middle alone or in parallel with bridge.
    Can Bridge be shorted in Position 3 only with the mini toggle to help
    with noise or should it just add bridge in parallel (up and down)?

Third: S-1 UP is basically the same as the 4 way drawing except another pole,
    adding the bridge (and adding the mini toggle). S-1 Down adds some Strat
    sounds. Some further improvement can be made by swapping S-1 UP(4)
    with S-1 Down(5). Volume levels would be better matched if possible.
    I will redraw here:

S-1 UP
    First: 5. Neck coils in Parallel
    4. Neck coils in Parallel (Out of Phase)
    3. Rail and Bridge in Parallel
    2. P90
    1. Bridge

S-1 DOWN
    5. Neck coils in Series
    4. Rail and Middle in Parallel
    3. Middle and Bridge in Parallel
    2. P90 and Bridge in Parallel
    1. Rail and Bridge in Series

The above is logical and when in 1,3,5 it acts like a tele with a couple
    twists. On a side note but not too important right now, the bridge pickup
    is stacked. I am blending the small coil to ground with a blend pot. It
    adds a 3K coil to make the bridge hotter or it blend shorts it to ground
    leaving a 7K ohm vintage bridge. The blend pot is concentric on the
    tone pot. So I have S-1 switch volume, concentric no-load pots and a mini
    toggle. The 4 way diagram seems to be my best chance to get a
    running start if I can just get help with the pole switching.

15. moosie

Interesting plan. I think it may be more complex than you think re the interaction of the switch poles. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I'm curious, did you make up your own stacked no-load pots? If so, did you scrape the tracks, or drop in tracks from single-pot no-loads?

16. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

Well I bought a concentric pot and also 2 no load pots from CTS. I then took all three apart carefully by bending the tabs open. Then I took out the wafers from the 2 no load pots and put them in the concentric pot. After carefully bending the tabs back over, I now had a concentric no load pot and 2 regular CTS pots.

17. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

It seems that one of the pots had a plastic washer or something that was a problem. But after filing the hole in the middle slightly it was very easy.

18. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

Some further improvement can be made by swapping S-1 UP(4)
    with S-1 Down(5). Volume levels would be better matched if possible. (If swapping S1 UP(4) and S1 DOWN (5) makes it too difficult that could not be done. I'm not sure but switching the neck coils from parallel to parallel out of phase might require that the poles be used in a different order. If the number of poles runs out then maybe just adding a capacitor to one of the neck coils at S1 UP(4) could be used. That would allow the Series Neck coils to be swapped to opposite the Parallel neck coils if that snag does become the problem.

19. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

Cap instead of leaving off Parallel out of phase? As a last resort? Well I do. I tried but it amazes me how some drawings seem to make the impossible happen. There has to be something going on that I have missed like some program or something. I guess it could just be a skill at figuring these things out. But then again I'm not really good at crossword puzzles either.

20. TellaStrat

TellaStrat TDPRI Member

Well after some reading I understand the cap is used in oit of phase pickups to give the sound more body. Since the prail coils are pretty different it will be interesting when I get home to twist the wires together and see how they sound. Anybody wire a prail humbucker parallel out of phase? I went on a reading spur earlier:

Quote from mlormams tdpri Sept.15,2009:

Real out-of-phase "quack" mod for a Fender Baja Tele

Hello blues guitar players,

Not satisfied with the lame sounding out-of-phase "quack" in positions 2 & 4 with the S1 switch activated, here's the mod to get the real out-of-phase "quack" and get those trademark T-Bone Walker & Johnny Guitar Watson "nasal" sounding blues tones out of your Fender Baja Tele.

Replace the 0,01 µF ceramic disc cap on the S1 switch with a wire, simple as that, the real out-of-phase "quack" in positions 2 & 4 is much better sounding after this mod. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.