1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P-rails and P-90

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Il Belva, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Hi guys,
    I recently got a G&L tribute Fallout (https://www.thomann.de/it/gl_tribute_fallout_bl.htm), mainly because I was interested in teh HB+P90 combo and partly because I wanted an alternative design. I'm quite happywith the axe and I want to improve its sound.
    I am thinking about a Seymour Duncan P-rails bridge (http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/p-rails-neck)/ P-90 neck combo (with the triple shot ring).
    The problem for me is to find a good neck p90 pickup to couple with the p-rails and to keep more or less the same volume balance, I am leaning towards this one: http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/custom-p90-neck

Can anybody give me some advice?

Here's some extra info on the guitar ant its pickups:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Personally I've tried several SD P90s including this one and didn't like any of them. Lacked that defining P90 "crudeness" and these hot ones were all "thick" with no "bite" like a P90 should have. And then there was their Vintage P90 that didn't fit my Les Paul 60s Tribute at all and the cover wasn't interchangable with normal covers. Try a Fralin.

3. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

What mode of the prails do you want to balance? I.e. The p90 in single, the humbucker in parallel or series?

My recommendation would be to go after the balance with the P90 mode and use the series more as of a boost. I personally think series is too hot but as usual YMMV.

It feels like you're after balancing series so you probably want either the custom or the hot.

I also encourage you to ask this question in the SD forum.

(Btw, the prails link is wrong, you want the bridge pickup)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't imagin SD p90 were like that, I'll look for some good audio clip!

5. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Hi Blille,
    I would like to have the neck P90 balanced with the bridge p-rail in p90 mode, would use the triple shot ring to choose the bridge pickup mode and the tone push/pull to invert the phase of the neck pickup!

6. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have Duncan P90s in a Godin guitar. IMG_0062.JPG
    I'm pretty happy with the sound-kind of a beefier Tele. The only other experience I have is with my '52 es125. Hard to compare. The SD P90s are quiet, and powerful.

7. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Very nice setup :)

Then you probably don't need such a hot p90. You should be fine with a "normal" one. If you want to stick with SD that would be the vintage P90.

Il Belva likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.