P bass pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by kiwi blue, Jun 18, 2019.

1. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Fender PV63 pickup. Nordstrand NP4 are also really nice if you want a more modern sound and something with a lot of grind, but if you roll back the volume a bit and tweak the tone knob you can also get a great old school tone out of it, but I personally love the Fender PV63 pickup. It just does that old school Fender P Bass sound in spades...Motown, classic country, rock...that pickup does it all. I have one in my Classic 50's lacquer Precision and love it.

I've been through a few other pickups as well including the stock pickup that came in the Classic 50's Precision (which is the same pickup they were putting in the older American Standard Precisions), EMG Geezer Butler set and a Seymour Duncan SPB-1. The SPB-1 one also has that classic P bass sound in my opinion, but a little less lows and a little better behaved, tame sounding pickup. Another favorite of many if the Fender "Original" Precision bass pickup, most likely because it's a very affordable pickup. I find it somewhat similar to the Fender "Original" pickup in that it sounds ok, but doe seem a bit tame with slightly harsh highs and a somewhat attenuated low end.

Here's a clip of the PV63:

Here's the Classic 50's lacquer Precision I have the PV63 in:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had EMGs in my PBass for 32 yrs...so that counts for something

3. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I have also had EMG pickups in my bass for many years. I really like them . I also like the EMG Geezer pickups. No batteries and no soldering.

WireLine likes this.
  4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Mine are the old actives. Battery lasts 8-12 months of 3-5 days a week.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've found the Bill Lawrence/Wilde P46 to be the best I've ever played. That and a Babicz FCH Bridge made this into the best PBass I've ever owned. It'll have to be passed on by my estate because I'll never sell it.

mattfreeman.jpg

6. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I've had DiMarzio's on my Sunburst Precision since 1977, awesome pickup for rock, or you can roll back the volume a bit for more vintage sounds. Back then DiMarzio was all there was - and maybe mighty mite for body parts and necks

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I changed to flats at the same time as I installed the Duncan SPB-1. There were also pickup mounting issues for a while. Got that sorted today. I'd never used flats before. That alone was a major learning curve. Playing unplugged gave me some idea of what kind of difference that makes. I really like it. My roots are in 40s to 60s music so it feels right at home being on flats.

I can't directly compare the pickups because the strings make such a difference. My impression is the Dimarzio is a bit punchier, maybe louder and clearer, but the Duncan has that old sound that works for me. Big and warm and beefy. They are as good as each other, just different.

This is just a massed produced MIK PJ bass, my guess is from the 90s. It's not spectacular but it's solid and will get the gig done. Next step is to put the J back in the PJ. I disconnected the stock J pickup as it did nothing for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.