1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P-94 specs, etc.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Donnie L, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Donnie L

Donnie L TDPRI Member

Hi Tele Folks,

I was considering swapping some pups … The Gibson ES-175 (2000s) comes with two PAF Humbuckers and I would like to put a P-94 in the Neck position and leave the Humbucker in the bridge. Please correct me if I'm wrong , but the whole idea of the P-94 is supposed to be the same size and dimension as the Humbucker but the pup is actually a P-90, right? Ok, however; does the pot value need to change or are the stock pots sufficient to yield the correct output. Also, will the balance be OK with Humbucker in the bridge or should I swap out all the Humbuckers?

I used to have a Gibson ES-125 , 1964 with a dog ear P-90 in the neck and simply loved that dark and somewhat hot vintage sound. I assume the modern P-94 would achieve that same or close to the same sound?

Moreover, I've noticed that Gibson doesn't make a P-94 in gold finish? If so, are the Seymour Duncan Phat P-94 type pup good enough , or even better?

Thanks in advance for any replies ….

Donnie L.

Chase the Tone !!!!!!!!!!

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure that the P94 comes in a gold finish model. I think I may have one.
    Al

3. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I had a stock Lee Malia less paul, p 94 neck, HB bridge, it all worked fine. No modifications of any sort are needed.

4. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

P90s (humbucker sized or not) usually use the same pot values as humbuckers, so no problem there.

They have a tendency to overpower vintage-type humbuckers though. In that case they balance better when the P90 is in the bridge position. YMMV

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

You might want to consider a Fralin P-92. I have one one my Tele neck position and really like it. They will wind it anyway you want. I think that mine is 8k turns and very clear sounding.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/p92/

zippofan likes this.
  6. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't limit myself to the Gibson pickup. There are plenty of small pickup winders who do an HB size P90 type pickup.

7. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Ditto on the Fralin P-92, I have one in the neck of my G&L Bluesboy, sounds great even with 250K pots.

lammie200 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.