P-90s for Jazz?

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 974885
The P-90 on my Epiphone sounds fantastic!
Is that a modded De Luxe reissue, or is that an original? Beautiful, either way. Here's my modded reissue:

IMG_20220211_150913763.jpg

IMG_20220211_150918907_HDR.jpg

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Charlie Christian as a jazz pickup if you want something different. Lollar and Creamery make HB sized ones.

I think of P90s as gnarly rock or indy pickups to my ear.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
So, I had a NGD a few weeks ago:

View attachment 974364

I can't leave well enough alone, and I love trying out new pick-up brands and models. I've already got a couple of modded jazz boxes: an Epiphone Emperor with a Lollar humbucker-sized P-90 in the neck position and a humbucker-sized P-90 in the bridge; an Eastman 503CE with a Fralin Pure PAF in the neck; and an Epiphone De Luxe with a Lollar Johnny Smith in the neck.

I'm wanting to try something new for this Ibanez, but I want to be able to get traditional jazz tones out of it. Fralin Pure PAFs would make the most sense, but, like I said, I like to try out new things. I've seen a few old school jazz boxes with P-90s in them, but I think that it's fair to say that they're not ubiquitous.

Any of you jazz tinkerers out there prefer a P-90? Any of you particularly dislike that choice? Why?
I can’t comment since my jazz guitar is a Heritage 535, which semi-hollow. However, fellow jazz guitar friends of mine with traditional arch tops seem to favor P-90s.

What other lefties do you own?

rsclosson

Tele-Afflicted
Is that a modded De Luxe reissue, or is that an original? Beautiful, either way. Here's my modded reissue:
Yes. The only mod was the frequensator tailpiece. I am not sure if it changed anything but I like the way it looks. The pickup was made by a guy in California who does outstanding work.

I really like the reissues. Very comfortable neck for my taste. I really like your mods. No doubt it sound great!

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
Not as uncommon as some other models. For example, when this one came up for sale on the 'Bay, there was another one available on Reverb. So, they're around.
But on the average …are they slightly pricier than the right handed ones. ? I have only seen them occasionally on guitar shop walls. And only had one in my hands during my whole time of playing … once . I see them on eBay and reverb. I was just curious.

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
IMHO, there are four things about all guitars (and perhaps other instruments as well) that matters most. Here is my prioritized list order ...

1) Playability. No matter the value or prestige attached, if it won't play well for you then it's needs fixing, else keep looking.
2) Sound/Tone. For an electric it will start first and foremost with the pickups and what they feed onboard.
3) Aesthetics. Physical attributes and overall build. Highly subjective, as it should be.
4) Money. (Or lack thereof ... ?)

Wannabe peer pressure status that demands a Fender Custom shop over a Squier Bullet is not a list consideration, it's a disease.

kuch

Tele-Meister
Wannabe peer pressure status that demands a Fender Custom shop over a Squier Bullet is not a list consideration, it's a disease.
Peer pressure??
Disease??

Sorry, I don't follow you on this, please clarify.

We're not in high school. If a person chooses to have a Custom shop guitar in lieu of a Squire bullet, it's a matter of freedom of choice.

Are you saying that purchasing something of quality is a disease?

If I drive a porsche, is it a disease?

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Peer pressure??
Disease??

Sorry, I don't follow you on this, please clarify.

We're not in high school. If a person chooses to have a Custom shop guitar in lieu of a Squire bullet, it's a matter of freedom of choice.

Are you saying that purchasing something of quality is a disease?

If I drive a porsche, is it a disease?

You miss my point entirely, I shall hope to clarify.

Some are still in a high school state of mind long after any schooling is over.

There are too many unfortunate folks who will classify guitar acquisition in some manner of status choice and not necessarily based on functional value.

IOW, given the fact that a $150 Offshore Squier Bullet Tele can be a viable instrument for stage and studio, the wannabe will always bend to public keyboard guitar guru pressure and consider that guitar inferior to a USA Custom Shop $3500 Tele. That preferential thinking is inferior and has no place in an objectively prioritized list of valued guitar properties. It's not solely about the price tag.

kuch

Tele-Meister
You miss my point entirely, I shall hope to clarify.

Some are still in a high school state of mind long after any schooling is over.

There are too many unfortunate folks who will classify guitar acquisition in some manner of status choice and not necessarily based on functional value.

IOW, given the fact that a $150 Offshore Squier Bullet Tele can be a viable instrument for stage and studio, the wannabe will always bend to public keyboard guitar guru pressure and consider that guitar inferior to a USA Custom Shop $3500 Tele. That preferential thinking is inferior and has no place in an objectively prioritized list of valued guitar properties. It's not solely about the price tag.

If this is a philosophical discussion: If you had unlimited resources and wealth, would you drive a lamborghini or other "luxury" car, or would you drive yugo?

edit: Instead of yugo, replace it with toyota camry-which is a highly rated quality car.

And if you chose the lamborghini, would it be due to peer pressure?

This is in no way being critical of any person who plays any guitar, but do you think "professionals" play
squires onstage?

People have access to different levels of resources.

Sorry to the OP if I've hijacked your post.... my apologies

Last edited:

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Not at all philosophical, just a common sense list of guitar priorities that applies to the OP's topic.

To P90 it for jazz or not? Whatever floats yer boat. With music genres in mind, there's a wide latitude of instrument/pickup choices. Lotsa great jazz has been recorded with a Tele neck pickup (Joe Pass and others). One does not require a $45k Bob Benedetto jazz box to make great jazz music. Guitars are tools and should be approached as such. Choose whatever gets the job done for you.

A Lamborghini was/is bred to be a racing car and if yer racing then that might be an appropriate choice over a Toyota Camry, but not the kinda car for everyone to drive for daily chores. I've had the misfortune of attempting to drive a friend's full race Ferrari, it was not fun. My friend had trouble driving it, too. None of this has anything to do with guitar/pickup parameters.