P-90s Coil Split Sound ?

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep.
Can’t split a P-90.
If you want to pair a P-90 neck with a Tele bridge, maybe get a mild 90 or a really hot bridge as the difference can be off putting.
Get a 4-way switch and wire them up series and parallel.
Series can make a somewhat humbuckerish tone.

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
Hi everyone...has anyone tried P-90,s in a tele with coil split,s? How do they sound as a humbucker and single coil sound? Thanks.

P90's are single-coils, just a different sort than Strat pickups, or Tele's, Jazzmaster etc.
Yup, P-90s are single coil, so they can't be split. However there is a neat, quasi-humbucker sound you can do with them. You can get either an Oak Grigsby or Fender 4 way switch and in addition to your regular 3 positions you can have it wired for both pickups in series. It gives you a more powerful and a little louder sound than both pickps in parallel. I have all my Teles wired with 4 way switches and use the both in series as a 2nd lead sound. It is just the right amount of volume boost when going from rhythm to a solo.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/telecaster-four-way-pickup-switch-what-it-does-your-tone

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
Yep.
Can’t split a P-90.
If you want to pair a P-90 neck with a Tele bridge, maybe get a mild 90 or a really hot bridge as the difference can be off putting.
Get a 4-way switch and wire them up series and parallel.
Series can make a somewhat humbuckerish tone.

Yup, P-90s are single coil, so they can't be split. However there is a neat, quasi-humbucker sound you can do with them. You can get either an Oak Grigsby or Fender 4 way switch and in addition to your regular 3 positions you can have it wired for both pickups in series. It gives you a more powerful and a little louder sound than both pickps in parallel. I have all my Teles wired with 4 way switches and use the both in series as a 2nd lead sound. It is just the right amount of volume boost when going from rhythm to a solo.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/telecaster-four-way-pickup-switch-what-it-does-your-tone
Oops, sorry, didn't see your post before I posted mine. Looks like you also suggested the 4 way switch like I did.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Ok thanks,,i,m sorry i sound so stupid,but i,m not that familiar with pickups,Thanks

Nah, not at all, it's an honest and common mistake. There's more than one way to build a single coil, and they all have different effects on the tone.

The series option mentioned above can make for an interesting alternative, though it'll thicken things up rather than thin them up like a coil split would.

If you'd prefer a "thinner" option, consider adding a bass cut control to your guitar in addition to the traditional treble or Reverend Bass Contour.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I've got two P-90 equipped guitars. An Epiphone '56 Gold Top with Fralin P-90s (neck pickup underwound 5%) and a Guild Starfire I Jet 90 with three Franz P-90s. As others have said, they are single-coil, so you can't split them. However, I find them very responsive to rolling off the volume and tone controls, so you can get a similar effect doing that. And P-90s are awesome, so have fun!

Squiretele777

Tele-Meister
@Squiretele777: Are you thinking of swapping in a P90? Or do you already have a P90? What are your goals and/or direction?

Fill us in, we can give you all the advice you're willing to pay for.
Right now i have a tele thinline ,70,s classic vibe...2 wide humbuckers,i guess you call them,even with coil spliting them,their still very warm

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Right now i have a tele thinline ,70,s classic vibe...2 wide humbuckers,i guess you call them,even with coil spliting them,their still very warm

P90's are not really brighter than humbuckers, in general.

Mini-humbuckers are bright, but I don't know if there are adapters that will mount them in HB cutouts.

EDIT: You can put a capacitor in series with a humbucker pickup to reduce the bass. It won't increase the treble per se, but that's the feel you will get. Very inexpensive to try if you can solder.

Last edited:

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Just for the OP's benefit, that's different from a coil split. Coil splits use only one coil of a double-coil pickup when split, whereas coil taps can with between using all of and a fraction of a pickups wire windings.

You are right, I should have made that clarification. Thanks for making it clear!

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
In 2011, Gibson introduced a Traditional model with tapped P90,s. The P90's are overwound, but the tap eliminate about 25% of the coil, bringing them back to a more traditional winding count. It's a very versatile option.

kiwi blue

Tele-Afflicted

If they are the same size as yer usual Gibson humbuckers I’d suggest humbucker size p90s but rod magnets not the usual bar magnets and 250k pots.

Manlius Fat Goat R90 is great. The Bootstrap Skookums look to be similar. The sound is more Fendery, clearer, brighter.

or else just get lower output humbuckers

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
behringer has a cheap EQ pedal that could help.
https://cosmomusic.ca/products/behringer-ultimate-7-band-graphic-equalizer-pedal
detail.jpg

another pre would be that if you ever would sell this guitar you can always use this with your new one

the Basscut @SixStringSlinger option would be a good choice to.
G&L PTB control is something the same i use a strat like guitar.
https://tonefiend.com/guitar/two-band-ptb-tone-control-useful-easy-cheap-awesome/
but that investment is gone with the guitar if it would be sold