P-90

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tonetele, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Can anyone out there recommend a good P-90, not too overpriced, for Bridge ( P-90 soapbar) that I would like to get for the bridge only. Reason, it's Les Pual Jr. I have looked a lot at the Seymour Duncan pickups but as they are US priced and USPS is hugely expansive- any other thoughts would be appreciated.
    I am prepared to pay for a SD but any other thoughts? What about Golden Age from stewmac.com? Any experiences?
    I have looked at the vintage market on eBay but want to build the guitar ( 3/4 done) and want to hear it before committing to an oldy. Also, old ones can be a rip - off.
    Thanks for any comments in anticipation.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Any vintage wound Alnico P90 should do quite well. GFS, Guitar Madness and others have them at very reasonable prices.

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Lollar in my LP Junior: very nice!
    A pair of Seymour Duncan 'Vintage' in my most recent Tele Thinline build: I am very happy with them and I'd use them again.
    I also put a pair of StewMac Golden Age in an old Asian semi (Univox?) for a mate a few years ago. The guitar was quite crappy so I didn't really try it out much other than to hear if the pups worked ok. They seemed fine, and a good price.
    Realparts.com have Tonerider P90's which might be worth a try. I haven't heard anything bad about them.
    And Brierley make P 90's too, here in Australia!

Also; try Gumtree. I've bought pickups & parts that people have bought for projects that didn't eventuate.

Happy hunting.:cool:

Mincer likes this.
  4. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

check toneriders

Alamo likes this.
  5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I have two guitars with Toneriders, just not the P90s. Both sets really deliver.

Alamo likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had two junior style guitars at the same time a few years ago. One had a GFS vintage wind and the other had a standard Gibson dogear P90. The Gibson pickup sounded much better to my ears.

The Gibson pickup wasn't special - just a stock 2004 pickup. I'd look for one of those. Or SD Antiquity.

I've also had good luck with Sunday Handwound pickups (you can find Tim on reverb). I've had a '72 custom set (full custom specs on the WRHB), a strat set to my specs, a set of PAFs and a set of minihums. ALL sound great and are very well made.

FWIW - if you're just wiring this up to see what it sounds like before you invest in something vintage, my advice is don't go cheap. I think if I put a bunch of effort into building a guitar then heard it with that GFS P90 I would be depressed. Get something good. In fact, I'll bet that if you get a Gibson or SD or any high quality vintage spec P90, you might just be satisfied there. (At least for a while.;))

Let us know what you decide.

7. blues

blues Tele-Holic

Budz P90

I had a Heritage DC 137 that the Lollar P90s were stock.

The Budz were more quiet and warmer. Made the Lollars sound cold

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it’s hard to beat Gibson.

9. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

I agree 100% that Gibson P-90s are amazing. I recently played two Gibson P-90 guitars at a local Sam Ash store. A Firebird Studio and a 2019 Tribute LP Junior DC. I'm now on the hunt for a Gibby P-90 guitar.

So good!

10. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I used a Kent Armstrong HP90 in the neck position of a telecaster I had a few years ago. I was really impressed with it.

11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I’ve got SD designed P90s in my Schecter Tempest Special and they rock! Cheap way in.

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Gibson all the way. Not a fan of SD in P90's just based on the guitars that came with them from the factory. Maybe it was other things. But no reason to not go for the real thing...... Used Gibsons often go for $60 or even $50 each in a pair.

13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

I agree with the others, try and pickup a used Gibson. There isn't really any reason to get anything else if you want a classic p90 sound.

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

A plain normal Gibson P90 is the way to go

You can find them for nuts because change them and go for expesive boutique whatever

I like Gibson's P90s

Teleterr, nojazzhere and Si G X like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

While I've never actually used one of theirs, I've been so PLEASED with my Bootstrap Pickup's Telecaster and Strat-style pickups, I'd be very confident trying their P-90's. Don't know about shipping charges, but a single P-90 is only $25.....handmade in USA.
    Or, find a used PRS P-90 that someone has foolishly thought they could improve on with an expensive boutique P-90. I've compared my PRS SE One's P-90 to my original 1960 Les Paul Jr's, and they both sound awesome.

richiek65 and gregulator450 like this.
  16. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

The Bootstraps "P90s" are rod magnet pickups. They probably sound fine but won't sound quite like a true P90 with bar magnet construction and steel pole pieces.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Based on my experience, the P90 is such a great design that even the super low end cheap P90s sound great.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a very inexpensive chinese Hamer, it's p90s are quite hot but sound incredible. Sums up any good P90 i reckon. It's as if I bought a couple of pickups and got a good guitar thrown in for free.

19. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

+1 on Gibson.

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

zippofan, RoyBGood and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.