1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

P-90 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleGS, May 11, 2011.

1. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

I like the feel of a Tele, and the sound. I also like the sound of a P-90. Has anyone tried both the Squire Tele Custom II and the Telecaster JA-90? I think they are both made in Asia and I am having a hard time understanding the difference in price. Can you tell me what you think the merits of them are and which you would choose.

I have never owned a Squire, but from what I have read here, the quality of the instruments is pretty good.
    I get that the JA-90 has a fixed neck, but being largely a Fender fan this is not a big deal for me. I can't imagine making a thinline is that much more expensive.

I am going to go try them and see what I think, but I would like your opinion.

Thanks,
    G

2. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I have a Squier Custom II which is a good guitar, although I found the neck a bit too chunky for my taste and replaced it with a Korean Squier Pro-Tone Tele neck.

I haven't tried the JA-90. I believe it's made in Korea and, if the quality is anything like the Korean Pro-Tone series, it'll be better made with better materials than the Custom II. Whether you think this justifies the price difference is up to you.

3. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Well, making a Thinline DOES take more work (you have to route the body cavities, then glue on a top, then route the circumference of the body) - even when done by CNC machiens, that's a few steps more and takes longer; also, the Custom II has a screw-on neck, the JA-90 a set neck (again: more work, more difficult to make); the JA-90 comes with genuine US-made Seymour Duncan pickups, the Custom with "Duncan Designed" (= generic Chinese or Korean pickups where they slap a cap with "Duncan Designed" on it...); oh, and the Custom is made in Indonesia, the JA-90 in Korea - HUGE difference in labor costs!!!

4. BeboRock91

BeboRock91 Tele-Meister

FWIW the JA-90 is made in Indonesia, not Korea :)

5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Just looked it up - yep, you're right, didn't know that, I though it was MIK like its predecessor the TC-90...

6. ChrisTP90

ChrisTP90 Tele-Meister

I have a Squier Custom II and if I compare with the JA-90 thinline, it seems that the JA-90 has a better body wood, a rosewood neck, SD pickups that are screwed directly into the body instead of being installed on a metal bracket screwed to the pickguard.

Although the Squier sounds quite good out of the box, the JA-90 is certainly better built with better materials.
    Not sure about the neck as I didn't try the JA-90, but I can say the Squier neck is a bit rough when I compare it with my American Strat. Of course it's innapropriate to make this type of comparison as the Squier is a budget instrument.

7. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

Thanks gang. Good input.

8. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

You could always drop a P90 into a standard Tele.

The MIM Standard makes a good one as it has a large rout in the neck slot.

The combo of P90 in the neck plus the Tele bridge pickup is a great one IMO

I did this to one of mine and I love it

[​IMG]

9. Mattsy32

Mattsy32 TDPRI Member

I had a P 90 in my tele it was way too warm so I replaced it with mini humbucker and it was fantastic.

10. slapshot

slapshot Tele-Meister

if you had a choice would you go with p90 or humbucker?

11. MaxCaster

MaxCaster Tele-Meister

Put a HB sized P90 (GFS Mean 90) in my MiM and it rocks.

12. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I stand corrected.

13. boosh

boosh Tele-Holic

The black dove tele is pretty similar to the squier tele custom ii so probably a better comparison than the JA-90. I'm keen to try a black dove, made in Mexico, it has the same 12" radius neck that I have on my highway one texas tele (albeit with the strat style deluxe headstock) that I have bonded with more than any other neck profile.
    Looks like a pretty sweet guitar, has anyone tried one???

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141902338

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.