P-90 staple top pick up

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
They are said to be similar.
The magnet height adjustment on both are mechanically similar.
I have owned Dynasonics, and though I like em’, they’re a little harsher/brasher sounding, IMO.
I find Dynasonics a little louder than the Staples.
Alnico V Staple pickups sound like really good Strat pickups, IMO.
I wonder if it’s possible to get them in a humbucker casing without messing with the specs too much

I’ve been looking for replacements for my R7 I’ve just never gotten on with the stock humbuckers, or maybe I need to try a really good p.a.f copy

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I wonder if it’s possible to get them in a humbucker casing without messing with the specs too much

I’ve been looking for replacements for my R7 I’ve just never gotten on with the stock humbuckers, or maybe I need to try a really good p.a.f copy
You might contact the Seymour Duncan custom shop, maybe they can make something.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
Last I looked, Lollar and Duncan both make them for HB routes. Again, the Duncan is closer to the real thing, the Lollar is wonderful if you want "something different". (I looked again - Duncan calls it the "Phat Staple")

Matt Sarad

Friend of Leo's
I played a Collings 290 with the Lollar Staple P90 in the neck position.
Into a Carr Sportsman, I was in love. Incredible sound.
The 2 would have set me back $5k.
I figure I'm gonna put a Staple P90 in my Les Paul TV Special neck. The Gibson P90s suck.

Digger73

TDPRI Member
I have three P90 guitars-Gibson Midtown with TysonTone 57Wraptail set. A stock G&L Savannah Junior II w/Paul Gagon designed pickups, and relevant to this discussion a 2011 Gibson Special P90 Exclusive Limited Edition. The one with the ebony fretboard in Gloss Cherry nitro…pretty guitar. But, it is equipped with a set of Ron Thorn Staple P90s and a Throbak 50s wiring harness. This is a raucous tone beast when needed and yet plays clean lead. Thsee pickups drive the amps and there is no mistaken when this guitar enters the mix. I wish I was better at describing the tone, but it is always full and round with an in your face edge. I just looked to see if Ron still has them for sale-I’m not sure. I see them on Reverb. Ron is a well known guitar builder, but Fender hired him I believe to run the Custom Shop? I play these a bunch as think they are just stellar. Oh, I thought I had four p90 guitars and I have another Gibson SG with Lollar P90 Standard Soapbars installed. It has a Lollar wiring harness. I think the Lollar’s are a little more polite, not too far from the Gagon pickups in the G&L Savannah.

Last edited:

willietheweirdo

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
These are my Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Alnico V Staple pickups, in my 2008 R6.
I was surprised by how long those magnets are! Really wish I could shoehorn one into an SG special, but I can't imagine it fitting in the neck route. 🙁

1671577327833.png

1671577603788.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They are said to be similar.
The magnet height adjustment on both are mechanically similar.
I have owned Dynasonics, and though I like em’, they’re a little harsher/brasher sounding, IMO.
I find Dynasonics a little louder than the Staples.
Alnico V Staple pickups sound like really good Strat pickups, IMO.
I know you have a bunch of Tron types, but have you tried a Magna'tron?
The alnico poles rather than steel screws or slugs is a big change in sound, as far as I have been able to compare.
The magna is certainly bolder and fatter than a Strat or Tele SC but has a lot of the sound, while of course being HB.
Could say the same about legit Firebird pickups with alnico bars in side the coil, except those are brighter AKA harsher/ brasher.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I know you have a bunch of Tron types, but have you tried a Magna'tron?
The alnico poles rather than steel screws or slugs is a big change in sound, as far as I have been able to compare.
The magna is certainly bolder and fatter than a Strat or Tele SC but has a lot of the sound, while of course being HB.
Could say the same about legit Firebird pickups with alnico bars in side the coil, except those are brighter AKA harsher/ brasher.
Cool!
Are they fully hum-cancelling?
I haven’t tried em’.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yes basically the same as a filtertron except the mags underneath and screw poles are replaced by 12 alnico rods.
It would be interesting to compare them to these staple P90s.
Very cool.
I’ve read the DeArmond Dynasonic is similar to the Alnico V.
I, and probably most people first became aware of the Alnico V in the neck position of 54-early 57 LP Customs.
I noticed they were slightly less noisy than P90s, and slightly clearer sounding, IMO.
I’ll check out the Magnatron on Jones’ site, and check some YT videos, thanks!