P-90 neck, “Tele” bridge partscaster help

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I learned the hard way with P-90's in buying a pair that were too hot. They were way too muddy. Lindy Frailin recommends a 25% underwind on neck P-90s because they are a naturally dirty sounding pick up. They sound terrific in the neck spot if you get the output closer to a bridge wind.

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
P90's sound good away from the strings most often. Try putting it 1/4" from the strings and the pole screws down and the bridge pickup up close to the strings.
Or get a good hot bridge pickup, like a Tex Mex for $30

Sounds like something is grounded or wired wrong now though, your neck pup should not be "thin".

Where do you find Tex Mex pickups for $30??? I only ever see them for $80 for the set or $40+ for a single.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Where do you find Tex Mex pickups for $30??? I only ever see them for $80 for the set or $40+ for a single.
I suppose they have gone up like everything else. Here's a new set for $58, but most are more.

For an individual you'll have to find used probably.
Here's one, but it's $38 shipped

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
The Seymour Duncan neck P-90s are wound to right around 8k, as is the Tex Mex bridge p/up. I've used the neck Phat Cat (also around 8k) with a Tex Mex. With a 250k volume pot, the neck pickup will still seem louder because of the stronger lows. I'd recommend a 500k pot with the 470k resistor to brighten the P-90. At this point a series cap might help if you'd like the P-90 to be brighter still. I currently am using this setup with a SD '59 (7k8) in the neck position. With some height adjustments it works pretty well.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Bootstrap will sell you a set with P90 and single coil bridge that are RWRP.
Linda Lou has this and it's good by her.
1663603622352.jpeg

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Yes please! I was flummoxed by this. I also don't exactly have the hang of soldering those braid-shielded wires on the P-90.

You can get a good Tele pickup for $30? I need to know where!
Bootstrap Pretzel bridge pu $28.00

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
I read somewhere that the north-south orientation of the magnets can cause that OOP sound iirc. On a P-90 that should be a fairly easy fix.
Someone with more knowledge on the subject should chime in.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
and from the area of the field entitled don't know what I'm thinking land ....
2 push pull knobs
knob 1 controls the volume of each nob,
knob 2 control the balance of the 2 pickup volume pull it up a roll the knob towards the bridge pick up and the bridge pick up gets louder turn the knob toward the neck pickup and the neck pickup gets louder
I just imagined this and have no idea about what it is that I',m suggesting,
using instead of a three position selector switch us a 5 position selector switch
2 of the selector switches could be used to adjust the treble and base of each pickup using a third knob

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
A Tex Mex would be a good call. There's no base plate. You could swap its two leads and correct the out of phase. Just remember to groumd the strings.

9k sounds like your P-90 might might be a bridge pickup. You might find a P-90 neck pickup that's not wound so hot. Something in the 7k range would be easier to mate with the tele bridge.
Yeah, 9k is hot for a P90. Dimarzio "vintage" P90s were 9k (at least years ago). I unwound one down to about 7.2k for the neck of my LP Studio Tribute. It helped volume-wise but lost some of that P90 richness. I also removed a magnet from another P90 and it made surprisingly little diff. What I have now is the original Gibson P90 in the neck with a 82k series resistor paralleled w/.0047mfd for balance & more treble. You could try a bigger series resistor than that along with that 470k on the bridge pup.
BUT - it's an endless battle from time immemorial.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
I bought a Fleor neck P90 for $18 bucks new. It is the one advertised as being wound between 6k-7k. Mine measures at 6.48k. It sounds great and pairs great with a Tele bridge like a Fat Lion that's in the 9k range. Try the Fleor P90 for $18. It's a true P90 with A5 bar magnets and brass plate. The low wind makes it bright and articulate - not muddy. Why pay more?
WalkerWilliams.jpg

Last edited:

jafo

TDPRI Member
An easy solution is to swap magnets in the P90. I like alnico 3 in the neck; it's probably the lowest-powered magnet, and picks up treble better than mids or bass -- all of which really works for a clearer, cleaner neck pup. (But not so good for making a woofy, bassy neck pup. It's all a matter of taste.)