P-90 Les Pauls: Goldtop, Special SC, Special DC,...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AJBaker, Jun 1, 2019.

1. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Gotta agree with Guitarteach -- why stop at two P90s!
    20161122_100035.jpg

2. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I'd love a Gibson gold top but they're out of my range these days so I went looking for a Far East made Hamer. A lot of guitar for not a lot of money. Harmony cream cupcake knobs were extra!

20190502_094529.jpg

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I've never measured anything on a guitar in my life- I just eyeball, then adjust 'till I get what I want. I find adjusting guitars to arbitrary benchmarks to be pretty much meaningless. This ain't rocket surgery, it's the intersection of art and science.

Don't take what I wrote literally, the key is in my second sentence-

"Tweak to taste, but that'll get you 90% of the way there."

I listen for a good balance between the pickups when I go through the selector, and a nice chime-y middle tone. The exact heights of the pickups to get this will vary based on number of coil windings, type/strength of magnets, etc. I know having an exact measurement number to tell you where to go seems more precise, but it's simply an arbitrary number that'll be close for most pickup types. Getting it really dialed in takes using your ears, not your eyes. P90s tend to want to be at extremes of the height range, so eyeballing them to a starting point is easier than getting out a ruler anyway.

RoyBGood likes this.
  4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Really nice. Those cool knobs are a lovely touch and finish the guitar off!

5. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

upload_2019-6-5_8-18-37.png

richey88, studio1087, Dan R and 3 others like this.
  6. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

I have a 2018 Goldtop Classic w/ P-90's
    It's been my #1 for over a year now .....
    I'm gigging a mix of classic country, classic rock and blues
    I also play Pedal Steel, so the tonality of the P-90's gives a nice contrast with the steel tonality.
    It has a range of tones that works for the country tunes I play guitar on and also has a proper girth and growl for the blues and classic rock.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  7. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

It's funny that you say that because when I dropped my guitar off at a tech one time, I was telling him how I was trying to measure action using the StewMac gauge and it was so absurd that I was trying to measure with a ruler to 5/64th" or something similar and when you are looking down at the ruler, any change of eye angle relative to flatness of the fretboard will change that increment by more than 1/8" and that's not even accounting for whether your ruler is perfectly square to the fretboard while you hold it or that you can't see the high E string properly because it's thinner and blocked by all the other strings - it just made me laugh that people think they are measuring something so minute perfectly squarely while holding everything in your hands.

He admitted that he understood my point but still maintained that he thought he could measure to a 64th pretty well. I said, "glad you can do it, because it would drive me nuts".

I will try your approach.

RoyBGood likes this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Cool! Picked up something similar a few months back, a 2004 Artist.

image (1).jpeg

studio1087, RoyBGood, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Oh wow, very nice..

Mine is made in Indonesia from memory, yours is the US version?

Side note: I met Paul Hamer in a guitar store here in Sydney back in the mid 80s, he demoed the new guitar he was travelling around the world with, slapped a set of headphones on me that were connected to his pocket amp and played the axx off it.. I thought he was a sales rep, he said, "oh no, I'm Paul Hamer, I own the company"

RoyBGood, Piggy Stu and kookaburra like this.
  10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...a big +1 on this; a Godin Summit Classic CT P90 replaced my LP 60s studio goldtop top. Unfortunately no longer in production but a great deal if you can find a used one!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  11. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

My Epi 339 P90 Pro is the best sounding guitar I own. Those P90 Pros sound fabulous in that guitar.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

heres my new one... 'sposed to be here tomorrow! Hamer Newport... I had an orange one (with humbuckers) a few years ago & let it slip away in a moment of weakness. this one has Duncan Phat Cat P-90s. the Newport is the first guitar to have them, Duncan designed them for Hamer for this model.

[​IMG]

studio1087, RoyBGood and Zepfan like this.
  13. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I've got a Les Paul Traditional with P90s that is great sounding and beautiful, but a little too heavy for my gigging tastes and a little too pretty for my gigging habits.... I picked up an early 90s Hamer Special with P90s thinking I'd replace it with that, but I never quite bonded with the sound/feel of it, even though it's a really cool guitar.

Then I saw this 2015 Gibson Special a few months ago. I love the wide neck and really dig the two-knob setup, being primarily a Tele player. It came with Robo-tuners and slug magnet P90s. Both were cool in their own way, but the Robo-tuners got replaced early on with Sperzel lockers after I found out how often I needed to recharge the Robo batteries. The slug magnets were okay, but I just dropped in a set of regular Gibson P90s and I love them. I've got about $700.00 in this thing and it flat out rocks.

Les Paul Special.jpg

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

you can buy the Les Paul P90 Specials new for about $1100 USD - used ones are far less. I don't know what is available where you live The pickups and the bite (clean or dirty) are great.

My 2010 Special.....

[​IMG]

My other Special (bought used)....

[​IMG]

An option that is about half the price of a used Gibson is the SE PRS models. This was a deal. I love the neck.

[​IMG]

I hope you find one that you like.

RoyBGood, zippofan and Zepfan like this.
  15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Someone say P90's? Mmm yes, my favorite pickups!

Les Paul Melody Maker (and friend)
    MelodyMakers.jpg

And I love my Epi Blueshawk, not an LP but sorta (and my preferred scale length of 25.5)

BlueshawkBootstrap.jpg
    Bootstrap Squeaky Clean P90's, so sweet!

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

Godin with P90s. 100th NAMM Anniversary special issue, #42 of 100....

P1110001.JPG

for sale, reasonable... check the ads

17. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. I HATE P90s!!! LOL :twisted:

2016-04-24 15.34.51.jpg IMG_20190427_105902003.jpg

That being said I do like Tele, Strat and PAF pups too.

MadJack likes this.
  18. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Man, they DO, and I gotta figure they're the cheapest P90 Gibson / Epiphone has figured out how to make. I still have a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe tele sitting in my closet that I haven't sold yet, partly because I replaced the really buzzy stock pickups with a set of Vintage Vibe soapbars. Which are really nice and when I was buying the 339 I was assuming I'd want to move the Vintage Vibe pups from the tele to the 339, but the stock 339 sounds so damn good I don't want to touch it.

Guitar Center and Musician's Friend (and their many other affiliates) sell these for $999 every day and often drop them to $799. And, yeah, they're great sounding guitars. I almost bought one but I like the Epi ES339 Pro every bit as much and found one used for $350. But I'd have been really happy with either.

Pointmonger likes this.
  19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Odd....I find my 1-P90 LPJ sounds a lot like a steel when I pick up by the neck end (away from the bridge)

mrmousey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.