P-90 Hum-cancelling Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by chemobrain, May 8, 2018.

1. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Haven't added a P90 guitar to the mix yet but when I do I'm just going to make sure it has a volume for each pickup and then just leave it in the middle position and use the volumes to get the sound I want. When I put together my Partscaster Tele I did that and got a custom control panel with two volume and one tone and it works great.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Embrace the hum.

3. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

P100's are like "near beer".

4. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Never, sir!

5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

Mr. Natural sez to Flaky Funt after kicking him in the butt with a big brogan boot
    " It don't mean_________(fill in the blank according to your cultural sensitivity

Razzle likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

check out Warman UK P90's... RW/RP... no hums through my tube gear.....

if fact you can leave this on a stand, a foot from an amp with the V up.. and forget it's on......:cool:

I have fridges going, flouro lights on, TV and PC on, overhead fan running all in the same room.... no hums through any guitar/tube amps here....

clean power is what you need...;)

Warman Tele.jpg

chemobrain likes this.
  7. chemobrain

that's a very handsome instrument in the image, did you have a hand in the instrument? is shielded?
    have you seen spalt guitars?
    i tried the web site and no body was home . the man mixes fine art deconstructionist art influences for one type of guitars he makes , he's so outside of the box it really snapped my head around they could hang in a gallery with "Robert" Rauschenberg

trev333 likes this.
  8. chemobrain

there a trick with single coils , I think one is wired in reverse , noth sure and when both are on the hum is cancelled I though a panning knob neck bridge would might allow both pickups to be on but either could be silence , dun know
    single coil sound sans hum , I have no Idea if it is possible???:confused:

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my first build ... lots of hands have been playing it over the years.. from kids to rock stars.... no one wants to put it down....

atm it's got a Wilko stacked P90 bridge and a Warman neck.... no hums and a bit more umpf in the bridge.. ....:)

pine marks on tele.JPG

preactor likes this.
  10. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Flakey Foont, I believe...

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've just fitted these to my Flaxwood Liekke. I have them a long way from the strings, prob 5-6mm. They don't sit very well on the plastic tube, I'm going to wedge foam I think.

But I'm impressed with the tone. The SD P90s sounded great - gritty, bright in a good way and I'd already put a 250k tone pot in to darken it which worked.

Now - it seems very similar, a bit more neutral but great P90ish cleans through my 84 SuperChamp. The bridge has nice twang and bite

Brief burst of the distortion produced smooth grit, gotta try at volume though.

I will try it during the week at 2 practices but I have to say, I am.pleased so far.

Looks great to me. Sort of matches in a Mad Max sort of way.

IMG_20181124_162038.jpg

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I just ordered a set of Stealth 90s, am waiting on some upgraded parts from Allparts before I bust out the soldering iron. Ordered a 500k vol pot and 250k tone pot, .022 cap, per Kent Armstrong. How do you have yours wired? Any chance you have a wiring diagram?

13. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

14. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Kent sent me one. That one, combined with Seymour Duncans diagrams and I figured it out. JUST finished the soldering, it all works. No noise, and I gotta play with pickup height, but so far they sound GOOD. Not "super" high output, but girthy!

15. Dacious

I've fitted the Lace Alumitone P90s - I'm mightily impressed. They really do everything the SD Vintage P90s did - and even at high gain, virtually silent!

They have the same snarl and bite, slight grittiness. Fantastic cut, cleanup on the volume knob and tone knobs, and take overdrive and effects well. I'm really pleased - so much so, the Duncan's are being sold.

I've heard P100s - these are much, much more classic fat single coil sounding.

The only issue is, they're a bit of a weird shape underneath and I'm experimenting with different foam blocks to adjust them to sit flat and close to the strings. They're very low-pull it seems - no wolf tones.

Golem likes this.
  16. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cool. You may be the only person I’ve heard use these. Any chance you can record them and share?

17. Dacious

I'll give it a go. The Liekki is a bright unusual guitar. But I"m impressed with both their clarity and P90ness.

Golem likes this.
  18. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

That Guitar has Mucho Mojo My Friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.