1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

p 90 height?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by adjason, Nov 27, 2020.

1. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Gibson sg that was stripped etc by a previous owner . I put a set of duncan antiquity p 90's in it. I feel like I am missing that classic p 90 growl but this is the first time I have used p 90's. They are kind of a pain to raise and lower (gotta remove pickguard etc) but now they are 1/8 inch away from strings when fretting 17th fret. Should I raise them up to capture the magic?- or does the magic only come out at high volume?

Boreas and Wulf like this.
  2. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

In my Les Paul Special: treble side 5/64 inch when fretting 17th fret, bass side bit further especially neck pickup.

Wulf likes this.
  3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

a good question..P90s tend to be better set quite close...magnetic pull isnt usually a worry...get them up a bit closer...leave p/guard off if you can as you tweak....you will get the growl ..but if theyre set low thay can sound "distant" if that makes sense due to the magnetic field coming through screws...(magnets are bar magnets on the bottom)..and the wider flatter coil.
    i know they are a pain to do sometimes...you might even need to pack something under them as support...when you get them right ...growl in abundance...i wont quote measurement...i find ears can be the best micrometer we have...good luck...as long as vibrating strings dont impact on the poles or anything as you play you should be fine
    if you do get strange sounding overtones back them off ever so slightly...they are sensitive to height

Boreas, akuster777 and SecretSquirrel like this.
  4. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    I think you really need to experiment to find what you like. If you need more growl, I recommend turning up the amp to get more saturation and harmonic qualities, or slightly raising them, but if you start getting weird overtones, lower them a bit till you find the ¨sweet spot.¨

Boreas, Wulf and SecretSquirrel like this.
  5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i forget to mention they like an amp running hot then ride the pots on guitar...let him sort his pup height...then he can pop out the windows after

Boreas likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

P90's are best further away than most pickups would be. JMHO. Like 3/16-1/4" isnt too far sometimes!

ronzhd likes this.
  7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

On my squier p90 custom I found that it would distort far earlier than my other guitars. I backed them off a good 3mm and I can go from sparkle to grind far easier and with more control. P90s are cool but you can expect to tweak them again and again to get to that sweet spot.

Wulf likes this.
  8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

P90s are pretty sensitive to overall height and polepiece height. Too bright? Lower the polepieces and raise the coil. Too dark? Lower the coil and raise the poles. With an uncalibrated set, you will probably have to lower the neck pu pretty far and raise the bridge pu fairly close to the strings.

Wulf, RomanS and scottser like this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The answers are all over the place!

Boreas, Wulf and monkeybanana like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

A P90? There are many different P90s and many different players, you have to experiment. I shimmed the dogear until I got the noises I expected.

Wulf likes this.
  11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

different pickups...different amps...different ways of wringing the best to suit us...no right no wrong..just own experiences and tastes...and playing style...so many things make up the sum of the total...what comes from your amp...and everyones ears are different...

Boreas likes this.
  12. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

close sounds best for my rig

Wulf likes this.
  13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i like that about P90s...great for pushing into the feedback zone...melodic song underneath with the sound of a jet engine...i like the rawness and the power of them up high

scottser likes this.
  14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I like them to kick an amp hard too

akuster777 and scottser like this.
  15. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just to throw in my $0.02 - consider the pots you are using. It could be the growl you are missing is top end. What pot values are you using?

somebodyelseuk, Wulf and dogmeat like this.
  16. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I start with the thickness of a nickel from pole to string. screws in flush.

17. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Another thought - Duncan Antiquity P 90s use Alnico 2 magnets; Alnico 5 magnets have a different growl. You can replace magnets. Also, agree with several posters that you need to get the body of a P 90 pickup - not the pole pieces - as close to the strings as possible to get that characteristic P 90 tone.

18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Valid Point

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

ive even sunk the poles below top of coil before today...endless search for "that sound in our heads" isnt it...not all pickups will let you do that..but plenty do

Boreas likes this.
  20. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Every guitar is its own journey...

darkwaters, somebodyelseuk and Wulf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.